Value of: Bjugstad to Minnesota

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Playing RW at 6'6" on Barkov's line the last half of the season, Bjugstad played at a 60 point level. As a STH, I had the opportunity to see him shake off the rust, adapt to a new position, gain confidence etc. Given his salary and his upside, I concur with Tallon that we should keep him.

rinne

Oct 10, 2016
Tampere
Those are his point totals in five years, yet you somehow think that he will score 60+ points this year? C'mon , man!
Look at the claim:
Bjugstad will likely slot in at RW on our top line and score 60 points or more playing a full season with Barkov assuming that he avoids injury
I can see the logic behind that claim. It is not based on Bjugstad as player as much as it is to Bjugstad playing with Barkov. Bjugstad played the later parts of this season with Barkov and Dadonov. Those 49 points came pretty much during that time. Bjugstad found a way to be useful in Barkov's wing. A full season in Barkov's wing could boost Bjugstad's production to that 60 point -level. Bjugstad's pace while playing with Barkov-Dadonov was at least close to that. Completely different question is whether Bjugstad should play in the first line...

Personally I don't see Bjugstad as "60 point player" but I don't think it is impossible for him to reach 60 points if he can play ~80 games with talent like Barkov-Dadonov.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Completely different question is whether Bjugstad should play in the first line...

Personally I don't see Bjugstad as "60 point player" but I don't think it is impossible for him to reach 60 points if he can play ~80 games with talent like Barkov-Dadonov.

He should be on the first line if that gives the Panthers the best mix of their talent. Crosby rarely plays with first line caliber wingers, but his linemates give the Penguins the most balance.

Reactions: I am not exposed

rinne

Oct 10, 2016
Tampere
He should be on the first line if that gives the Panthers the best mix of their talent. Crosby rarely plays with first line caliber wingers, but his linemates give the Penguins the most balance.
Exactly.

...and that makes it so hard to define a value for Bjugstad. He can be that 50-60 point RW of the first line in right circumstances. His contract at that situation would be good. But as a single player I think that Bjugstad is more of third liner talent wise. And that isn't so valuable...

So what would it take from Minnesota? I don't have a clue. Probably something significant as Bjugstad seems to be Tallon's favorite.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is more likely to be a 30 point player next year than a 60 point player. To expect him to be a 60 point player is wildly optimistic.
Coyle had 56 points year before last, and was injured last year. If I said he could be a 67 point scorer next year you'd have to question my judgement, no? I mean, he COULD score 67, but is he likely to?

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Look at the claim:

I can see the logic behind that claim. It is not based on Bjugstad as player as much as it is to Bjugstad playing with Barkov. Bjugstad played the later parts of this season with Barkov and Dadonov. Those 49 points came pretty much during that time. Bjugstad found a way to be useful in Barkov's wing. A full season in Barkov's wing could boost Bjugstad's production to that 60 point -level. Bjugstad's pace while playing with Barkov-Dadonov was at least close to that. Completely different question is whether Bjugstad should play in the first line...

If you look at Nick's advanced stats, they also support the evaluation that Nick is a solid "passenger" type player when playing with Barkov. Last year, he did not have a lot of PP time but was an impressive 2nd on the team in goals scored on 5 on 5 despite a career low 5.9% shooting percentage (well below his 8% plus career average).

Reactions: I am not exposed
Aug 25, 2009
éal
I loathe Bjug. Id give him for peanuts just to open a spot for someone else on the top 6.
I'd take him on the Habs just cause he can play centre and moving Drouin to wing would make our team better. Bjugstad wouldnt even have to produce, just play tough minutes and try to get a +/- over -20 would make me happy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad