Value of: Bjugstad to Minnesota

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

What are the Panthers looking for in return? Didn’t catch any of russo on the radio so i don’t know what he said but I thought it was worthy of a thread to discuss value.

If it's anything like past talk of Bjugstad to Minnesota it's probably just Russo talking about the number of people that ask him about it. Which is funny considering how frustrated the fanbase (myself in included) gets with Coyle.

Reactions: Laus723

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If it's anything like past talk of Bjugstad to Minnesota it's probably just Russo talking about the number of people that ask him about it. Which is funny considering how frustrated the fanbase (myself in included) gets with Coyle.
NHL Rumors: Ducks, Panthers, Devils, Rangers, and Capitals
On the Florida Panthers …

Amir Basu: Elliotte Friedman said that the Florida Panthers have looked at the idea of trading Nick Bjugstad. The Montreal Canadiens and Minnesota Wild have shown some interest.
From yesterday.

Reactions: Bazeek

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
I loathe Bjug. Id give him for peanuts just to open a spot for someone else on the top 6.

Reactions: Laus723

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's hard to get a read on what to expect from Bjugstad. There is no doubt that he has been a disappointing player, relative to expectations. I could see FLA wanting Coyle. On paper they are similar players, but Coyle is far more useful, and way more physical. Theoretically, Bjugs can be a better scorer.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's hard to get a read on what to expect from Bjugstad. There is no doubt that he has been a disappointing player, relative to expectations. I could see FLA wanting Coyle. On paper they are similar players, but Coyle is far more useful, and way more physical. Theoretically, Bjugs can be a better scorer.

Theoretically, and yet, he hasn’t shown that. Arguably the only thing Bjugstad has shown that he’s better than Coyle at is missing time.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Coyle for Bjugstad defeats the purpose as it doesn't add any more righties to the lineup.

Zucker/Nino for Bjugstad I don't like anyways, but Florida doesn't need LW's either with Hoffman and Huberdeau.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Coyle for Bjugstad defeats the purpose as it doesn't add any more righties to the lineup.

Zucker/Nino for Bjugstad I don't like anyways, but Florida doesn't need LW's either with Hoffman and Huberdeau.

Yeah that’s why this rumor makes no sense. Unless Florida is looking to sell very low on Bjugstad.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
As the swallows return yearly to Capistrano, so too do the aged veterans return home to Minnesota.

Every offseason bring fresh speculation about who will take the hometown discount to see their kids play in the state tourney or to have their wives reunite with the in laws.

This year it’s Bjugstad apparently.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If MIN doesn't want to deal a F(Nino, Coyle, Zucker) back for Bjugstad, or Bjugstad +

and

If FLA fans don't care about getting a F back...

Then a futures deal might make sense. FLA needs a G prospect who isn't an 18 or 19 years old.

What about something with the main pieces being Bjugstad and Kaakonen? There may be a cap issue for the Wild taking Bjugstad's 4.1m and still having to sign Zucker and Dumba.

So something like Bjugstad + 4th for Kaakonen + Foligno? Could be tweaked but the main 2 pieces might make sense (and Foligno as the cap going back to FLA).

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
If MIN doesn't want to deal a F(Nino, Coyle, Zucker) back for Bjugstad, or Bjugstad +

and

Then a futures deal might make sense. FLA needs a G prospect who isn't an 18 or 19 years old.

What about something with the main pieces being Bjugstad and Kaakonen? There may be a cap issue for the Wild taking Bjugstad's 4.1m and still having to sign Zucker and Dumba.

So something like Bjugstad + 4th for Kaakonen + Foligno? Could be tweaked but the main 2 pieces might make sense (and Foligno as the cap going back to FLA).

No way Florida does this because I'd accept that trade in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 2Pair

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

and

i'd say thats pretty bad for florida. gonna need more than a meh goalie prospect and bottom 6 winger to move big nick

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Goalie prospects are so difficult to value until they actually have NHL experience under their belt OR they were a high end prospect when they were drafted (picked in the 1st or 2nd).

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

and

It's a lot of trust Kahkonen turning into a decent goalie while taking a downgrade and on the RW, we're not that strong to unload him until Tippett can produce in top 6.

I'd pass as a FLA fan.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Goalie prospects are so difficult to value until they actually have NHL experience under their belt OR they were a high end prospect when they were drafted (picked in the 1st or 2nd).

exactly. which is why you arent getting an established NHL forward with size and ability (49pts this year) for a galie prospect that isnt one of those big name early 2nd rd types

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
exactly. which is why you arent getting an established NHL forward with size and ability (49pts this year) for a galie prospect that isnt one of those big name early 2nd rd types

Completely agree. I've never saw Kappo as a trade piece whatsoever.

I'd even do Kappo + Foligno + 2nd + 3rd for just Bjugstad. Florida would not be the one adding picks in that trade.

Kappo is building a good resume with being top 3 in SV% in the Finnish league, but he's gotta prove he can do it here.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
It's a lot of trust Kahkonen turning into a decent goalie while taking a downgrade and on the RW, we're not that strong to unload him until Tippett can produce in top 6.

I'd pass as a FLA fan.

I like kahkonen as a prospect for us, but no way that’s enough to pry a solid nhler away. There’s a good chance kahkonen never makes it to the NHL. Then what? Bjugstad for Foligno?

I don’t want Bjuger too much in Minnesota anyways. We would need to trade somebody that we may as well have just kept. Plus, I think he’s more of a center, and we have 4 center already. BB wants to play JEE as 3C.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Bjugstad is one of the nicest guys you’ll meet off the ice, he’s one of the most frustrating to watch on it. Rarely uses his size, is easily bumped off of the puck, and he’s not been successful as a center. His success this season came from being with Barkov and Dadonov.

He’s not a top 6 guy, though, and the 4+ cap space could go elsewhere, I’d like to see him moved, but I don’t think he will be. He’s been hanging around here lately signing autographs at events and Tallon has said he loves the kid. We’ll see, I’d be happy ship him out, but one of the few I’d hope would really found his game if he does. (Obviously want him to here first, lol)

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Tallon, our GM, has a man-crush on Bjugstad and recently advised that he has zero interest in trading him. Bjugstad will likely slot in at RW on our top line and score 60 points or more playing a full season with Barkov assuming that he avoids injury, which is more than fair value for his $4 million cap hit IMO.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Those are his point totals in five years, yet you somehow think that he will score 60+ points this year? C'mon , man!

Dabeast

Jun 13, 2014
South Florida

Those are his point totals in five years, yet you somehow think that he will score 60+ points this year? C'mon , man!
He missed a lot of time, and played injured as well to be fair.

I'd be ok with moving him since I think Tippett can take his spot, but only if it actually addressed a need like Bjug++ for a top 4 RHD, but I don't know if that could happen

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The only things that Bjugstad has established in the NHL is disappointing scoring totals, mediocre play without the puck, and an inability to stay healthy. That could change, but to assume that it WILL, and for teams to bank on that assumption in trading for him, seems nutz.

Where is that cool Bjugstad, Nelson, Lee, thread?

Reactions: iSophagus and gwh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad