Bjugstad sign to 6 year deal/$4.1 AAV

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
This news helped me get over the irateness that I had while seeing the classless Habs fans outside of our arena with their soccer chant at full blast.

What a steal Tallon pulled off for a low value and his contract should end during his prime years to see at that point down the line if he deserves another extension.

Catsfan7

Jun 6, 2011
Coral Springs, FL
But i thought everyone wanted to play for the leafs...

Nah only Ontario Players like Stamkos, Tavares, and of course my boy Bolland.... All of whom would then sign long term deals and never leave because they're "Good ol' Ontario boys". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

EDIT: For real, this deal was amazing, huge for us get him locked up and not have to worry about it for years!

Last edited:

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
as a minnesota guy, Bjugstad's one of my favorite Gopher alums and I love how he's playing for Florida. Good to see him get locked up long-term and that deal is going to be a freaking steal in a couple years. His ceiling is incredible.

Congrats to Nick and a big pat on the back for Tallon. Love the direction your Cats team is headed.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Hope Gudbranson uses this as fuel to get better. So far Bjugstad has been the best player of the 2010 Draft and Gudbranson needs to pick it up with his play and he needs to make a bigger impact.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Hope Gudbranson uses this as fuel to get better. So far Bjugstad has been the best player of the 2010 Draft and Gudbranson needs to pick it up with his play and he needs to make a bigger impact.

Blah blah slow developing defensmen blah blah blah.....

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
gudbranson already looks very good this year. not offensively maybe, but his defense is a lot better and he's started to hit those highlight reel hits more. everyone got a good partner except gudbranson this year

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So happy for Nick! :handclap:

I remember the first time I ever watched him play (my freshman year at Minnesota, which was also his freshman year) I leaned over to a buddy I was at the game with, and said "27's gonna be a good NHLer"

I took a geology class with him, and he was one of the few hockey players who would actually go out of his way to talk to us "normal folk" :laugh:

I'll be a Bjugstad fan for life!

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
gudbranson already looks very good this year. not offensively maybe, but his defense is a lot better and he's started to hit those highlight reel hits more. everyone got a good partner except gudbranson this year

Can't say that around here. Be careful.
Yeah yeah good 6th D man whatever

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
what a sweat deal

14_medium.gif

JackTheTulip

Aug 10, 2008
Montreal
Insane steal. It says alot about the spirit there is in the locker room and how committed he is to winning with this franchise.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
While watching the Hawks game today, I thought that Bjugstad was signed for $4.1 million and Bickell makes $4 million. :laugh:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hayes will not be as simple to sign as Bjugstad. If he stays on pace he will be in the 25G range. The options are to sign a two year bridge deal until he is UFA eligible July 1, 2017, or sign a long term deal like Nick.

Although he is not his brother Kevin who was looking for the best contract and a spot on an NHL club due to being a UFA, he still has that family DNA and will undoubtedly drive a hard bargain for Tallon to get him signed. There is not a lot of NHL history to look at other than what he will do this year and his 11G's from last year. Probably the closest analogy is 27 yr old Nick Foligno who just signed a 6 yr extension at $5.5 per. The guy had never scored over 20 goals in a season, but is on pace for 35 this year. Big guys who can score are a nice combination to have as they play that tough game and tend to not be injured as much. My guess is they should try and sign him for 6 yrs in the $4.5 to $5M area.

Huberdeau???? :) If this turtle gets over $2.5 for 2 years I will be shocked. Weak on the puck, slow, and little to no shot makes him expendable. He does not fit the team concept of more speed and just doesn't make up for this deficit in other areas. It seems like he is on the ice for 30 seconds and he's raising his stick that he wants off.

Last edited:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
huberdeau has had too many injuries, like gudbranson, to put the label as having played the amount of NHL games they have to evaluate it... bjugstads signing is a ridiculously good deal.

hopefully we can win a cup before his deal ends, since i believe he might want to go to the wild, but hopefully he'll play for the wild after the next 7-8 year deal (age 35 or whatever it is)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Hayes will not be as simple to sign as Bjugstad. If he stays on pace he will be in the 25G range. The options are to sign a two year bridge deal until he is UFA eligible July 1, 2017, or sign a long term deal like Nick.

Although he is not his brother Kevin who was looking for the best contract and a spot on an NHL club due to being a UFA, he still has that family DNA and will undoubtedly drive a hard bargain for Tallon to get him signed. There is not a lot of NHL history to look at other than what he will do this year and his 11G's from last year. Probably the closest analogy is 27 yr old Nick Foligno who just signed a 6 yr extension at $5.5 per. The guy had never scored over 20 goals in a season, but is on pace for 35 this year. Big guys who can score are a nice combination to have as they play that tough game and tend to not be injured as much. My guess is they should try and sign him for 6 yrs in the $4.5 to $5M area.

Huberdeau???? :) If this turtle gets over $2.5 for 2 years I will be shocked. Weak on the puck, slow, and little to no shot makes him expendable. He does not fit the team concept of more speed and just doesn't make up for this deficit in other areas. It seems like he is on the ice for 30 seconds and he's raising his stick that he wants off.

Hayes went to arbitration for his current contract so he'll definitely be harder to sign

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hayes went to arbitration for his current contract so he'll definitely be harder to sign
He was headed there, but they did sign a deal just before.

There are guys that play the game for the money only. They have no team loyalty and if they can squeeze an extra few bucks in a deal, they are gone. Nick has his priorities in order. He likes ownership and the direction the club is taking and he is willing to take less to be a part of that. I think he's probably a conservative spender and his philosophy is you can only spend so much in your lifetime and can't take it with you. Besides, if he continues on his present course, his next contract will be a monster. He's an exception to the rule and maybe it's something about MN water, as I can remember Kirby Puckett taking less to stay with the Twins.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
He was headed there, but they did sign a deal just before.

There are guys that play the game for the money only. They have no team loyalty and if they can squeeze an extra few bucks in a deal, they are gone. Nick has his priorities in order. He likes ownership and the direction the club is taking and he is willing to take less to be a part of that. I think he's probably a conservative spender and his philosophy is you can only spend so much in your lifetime and can't take it with you. Besides, if he continues on his present course, his next contract will be a monster. He's an exception to the rule and maybe it's something about MN water, as I can remember Kirby Puckett taking less to stay with the Twins.

and parise (or was it suter?) took less to have a matching contract with the other one, both taking big hometown discounts to move back to minnesota

minnesota is a very family dependant state where everyone loves it and are very patriotic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad