Confirmed with Link: Bjorkstrand to Seattle for 2023 3rd & 4th round picks

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
While we don't know for sure the process and decision behind moving Bjorkstrand, I am comfortable making a certain level of logical inference. I think if it were possible to move another player of similar cap hit, the team would have done so. Just like I assume if it were possible to have signed Laine to the same term contract but $1 million cheaper, the team would have done so.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Do you recall how he phrased it?
Wish I could recall more specifically. He was talking about Johnny and Bjorkstrand going to Seattle and thought he said the front office “gave up on“ Bjorkstrand - not “gave up” Bjorkstrand. If I get a chance on a call in or mailbag I want to follow up just to verify I heard him correctly. Frankly I’d like to think I heard him incorrectly.

Reactions: LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Wish I could recall more specifically. He was talking about Johnny and Bjorkstrand going to Seattle and thought he said the front office “gave up on“ Bjorkstrand - not “gave up” Bjorkstrand. If I get a chance on a call in or mailbag I want to follow up just to verify I heard him correctly. Frankly I’d like to think I heard him incorrectly.

Though it would help explain the trade if the FO was down on Bjorkstrand, I don't know if we can infer that from Bob's choice of words here - I've also heard "gave up on" just used as a synonym for traded.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Another problem is that even if he used those specific words in that order and by them he meant what we wonder he might have meant, right after hearing Moe's question he would probably realize what exact info you're trying to get from him... and then he would answer "oh I didn't mean to say Jackets didn't want to keep him" or possibly just deny saying it altogether. He works for the team so we can't expect completely honest response from him either.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Another problem is that even if he used those specific words in that order and by them he meant what we wonder he might have meant, right after hearing Moe's question he would probably realize what exact info you're trying to get from him... and then he would answer "oh I didn't mean to say Jackets didn't want to keep him" or possibly just deny saying it altogether. He works for the team so we can't expect completely honest response from him either.

Yeah if you can get drinks with Bob I'd love to know what he really thinks, but wait at least five drinks in to ask him. He certainly wouldn't tell you anything juicy in a public forum.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It's not that Jarmo makes all the right moves all the time, it's just that Jarmo makes moves all the time. He has a pretty good track record IMO, but more importantly he's shown he's not afraid to make decisions. If anything, the kitchen psychologist in me says he hates a painful decision less than having his hands tied. I believe him when he says it was the best of bad options at the time, but of course that doesn't mean it's not possible better options would've come available later. We also don't know what other moves he was/is potentially hoping to make. I think the bottom line is in the eyes of a lot of fans he's probably earned a pretty long leash.

Could very well be it's a decision he already regrets, but time will tell how things pan out. Then again, he doesn't particularly strike me as a guy who likes to second guess.
Problem is if you make a ton of good moves and are still projected to be on the outside looking in (of the playoffs) doesn't the next logical question is despite winning on paper does it help the team?
I know the answer we all hope for is "it will" but we've banked on that for a long time.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Problem is if you make a ton of good moves and are still projected to be on the outside looking in (of the playoffs) doesn't the next logical question is despite winning on paper does it help the team?
I know the answer we all hope for is "it will" but we've banked on that for a long time.

Most of it goes back to going "all in". I loved that move at the time, though I didn't believe Jarmo for a moment when he said he wasn't concerned about the prospect pool and things were gonna be fine. He did sugarcoat but seems like he wasn't that far off the mark and IMO he's done pretty well since. Not sure how much of PLD quitting was on him if any, and tbh he hasn't made a move to fix the center position, so at this point it seems it's mostly waiting to see how Sillinger & Johnson pan out. Getting a legit #1C is both difficult and expensive unless you draft one.

The team has sucked for the past 2 seasons, though 21-22 I think it was a fun and exciting team to watch and sucked less than expected. I expect and hope they are still exciting and trending upwards with results. Really it's not a bad place to be watching this team, future looks pretty good at this moment. Honestly 22-23 is still a low expectation season at least for me, but difference to last season is now the clock is really ticking.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

wenny and bjorky together up in washington.

The Gourde - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand line was together for one game and they dominated. 3 goals and an absurd number of forced turnovers. Pre-season though.

Reactions: LJ7

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Really looking forward to the Seattle/Bjorkstrand in-season updates in this thread every time he gets a point and goes -3 on the night.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Did anyone listen to the latest episode of the Jeff Marek show? Friedman was on and said that he was told that there was another team that had a deal in place for Oliver Bjorkstrand, but said team started getting “too greedy” and then Jarmo went to Seattle with the trade. He also said the team that had the trade in place before Seattle was NOT a Canadian team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Did anyone listen to the latest episode of the Jeff Marek show? Friedman was on and said that he was told that there was another team that had a deal in place for Oliver Bjorkstrand, but said team started getting “too greedy” and then Jarmo went to Seattle with the trade. He also said the team that had the trade in place before Seattle was NOT a Canadian team.
So the trade could have been even worse

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My interpretation was that it was a potentially better deal but they were too annoying to work with. Likely not a much better deal though, we get ripped off either way.
I interpreted it as the team had an offer on the table we deemed acceptable, but they either started waffling on the deal or taking things out, so we moved on and didn’t give them a chance to counter.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I interpreted it as the team had an offer on the table we deemed acceptable, but they either started waffling on the deal or taking things out, so we moved on and didn’t give them a chance to counter.
I took it as, they had a deal in place with team X, then team X later said “you know what? We actually want ___ included in the deal too.” Then Jarmo went to Seattle.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
18 games in Oliver has 1 goal and 8 assists for 9 points.
Chinakhov in the same amount of games, 3 goals and 7 assists for 10 points.
Now look at where the teams are in the standings….

Chinakhov and Bjorkstrand would be a great combo. Oh well.

Who am I kidding we have a guy worth 5 Bjorkstrands/Chinakhov’s!!! Amiright!?!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Friedman reported over the weekend we had a better offer for Bjorkstrand but "some team mucked it up" so we had to then accept Seattle's offer.

On 32 Thoughts the podcast if you're interested.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
ollie is super snake bitten right now.

2 goals last 23 games.
shooting percentage at a career low.. 4 percent.

he’s on pace for exactly 41 points which would tie for the worst season of his career when it comes to a full 82 game season.

2 goals in his last 55 shots on goal is pretty baffling.

also playing nearly 2 whole minutes a game less than last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad