Value of: Bjorkstrand to NYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Too much. Lower your sights to Nyquist
I'm apparently in the minority here, but IMO it makes plenty of sense to trade Bjorkstrand even if Nyquist is the ideal guy to move out.

Nyquist is a good player whose value is essentially zero right now due to the cap situation and CBJ's lack of leverage. But he's moveable. CBJ just needs to accept a return of basically nothing or add a mid-round pick.

They don't need to trade Bjorkstrand, so Bjorkstrand's value is unaffected by the cap situation. Which means they can use him to get significant value, then turn around and move Gus (with retention) at his full value to get even more assets. That's a quicker path to fixing the holes on the roster (defense and center).

Reactions: ProfessorFink22

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm apparently in the minority here, but IMO it makes plenty of sense to trade Bjorkstrand even if Nyquist is the ideal guy to move out.

Nyquist is a good player whose value is essentially zero right now due to the cap situation and CBJ's lack of leverage. But he's moveable. CBJ just needs to accept a return of basically nothing or add a mid-round pick.

They don't need to trade Bjorkstrand, so Bjorkstrand's value is unaffected by the cap situation. Which means they can use him to get significant value, then turn around and move Gus (with retention) at his full value to get even more assets. That's a quicker path to fixing the holes on the roster (defense and center).
Magic beans or Bjorkstrand? Give me Bjorkstrand. The harsh reality is I dont care about Nyquists return. He was a FA signing who already provided his value to the team. For all we know hes traded at the deadline or signs somewhere else next year and we lose both

Reactions: Viqsi

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think Nyquist would be a fine rounding out of nyi's roster, but I believe cbj would rather give him away out west than inside the division.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Magic beans or Bjorkstrand? Give me Bjorkstrand. The harsh reality is I dont care about Nyquists return. He was a FA signing who already provided his value to the team. For all we know hes traded at the deadline or signs somewhere else next year and we lose both
I think it's foolish to dismiss the value he'd return in a trade within this context, though. He has massive value in a trade. On the flip side, Nyquist either returns nothing or requires assets to move.

By contract alone, the Mantha trade is a good framework, although Bjorkstrand is clearly a better player and would be more valuable IMO. Mantha got a good, younger forward (Vrana), a first round pick, a second round pick and a depth piece (Panik).

Bjorkstrand could absolutely fetch a good center prospect (i.e. a Maverik Bourque or Peyton Krebs type) + a first (protected) + another pick/prospect. Then, in regaining leverage in a Nyquist trade, the Jackets could retain and gain *another* first round pick.

The value proposition is essentially:

1. Keep Bjorkstrand + lose Nyquist + a mid-round pick (cost to move him)

or

2. Gain a high-end center prospect + multiple first round picks + additional picks, but lose Bjorkstrand and Nyquist

or

3. A hockey trade involving Bjorkstrand + other pieces that simultaneously frees up salary and gets us a defenseman who can both step in immediately AND be a long-term core piece.

I'm fine with #1 but my point is that it's not wholly unreasonable to say that #2 or #3 could be better paths forward for the franchise.

Not saying that they should look to move Bjorky as Plan A to become cap compliant. Just saying that, if there ever was a time to entertain a godfather offer for a player who is now a long-term second line guy here, it's now. They'd get a massive return and an additional first rounder via a Nyquist deadline trade.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Something around Wahlstrom for Bjorkstrand would probably benefit both teams.

CBJ gets cap space and a right shot sniper with potential, NYI gets a proven goal scorer now that they can pair with Barzal now.

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
If Gus is a net zero/negative value, and if people would be willing to give up a decent package for Bjorkstrand, I'd be open minded to trading Oliver. He's an asset with term left on a decent value deal.

I might be in the minority in thinking that Gus is not a huge downgrade on Bjork this year, if we only kept one... And Gus's contract is done this year, meaning more flexibility in the near future (not that I think Bjork's contract is bad to have by any means).

What's a realistic offer for Bjork?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think it's foolish to dismiss the value he'd return in a trade within this context, though. He has massive value in a trade. On the flip side, Nyquist either returns nothing or requires assets to move.

By contract alone, the Mantha trade is a good framework, although Bjorkstrand is clearly a better player and would be more valuable IMO. Mantha got a good, younger forward (Vrana), a first round pick, a second round pick and a depth piece (Panik).

Bjorkstrand could absolutely fetch a good center prospect (i.e. a Maverik Bourque or Peyton Krebs type) + a first (protected) + another pick/prospect. Then, in regaining leverage in a Nyquist trade, the Jackets could retain and gain *another* first round pick.

or

2. Gain a high-end center prospect + multiple first round picks + additional picks, but lose Bjorkstrand and Nyquist

or

3. A hockey trade involving Bjorkstrand + other pieces that simultaneously frees up salary and gets us a defenseman who can both step in immediately AND be a long-term core piece.

I'm fine with #1 but my point is that it's not wholly unreasonable to say that #2 or #3 could be better paths forward for the franchise.

Not saying that they should look to move Bjorky as Plan A to become cap compliant. Just saying that, if there ever was a time to entertain a godfather offer for a player who is now a long-term second line guy here, it's now. They'd get a massive return and an additional first rounder via a Nyquist deadline trade.
It's just not worth giving up Bjorkstrand.. building a successful team is as much about who your veterans are just as much as it matters whothe youngins are. Bjorkstrand provides the leadership while still being on the right side of 30. While Nyquist provides leadership as well, for the long term of the franchise id rather lose Nyquist for nothing than give up Bjorkstrand. It isn't always about getting younger. We're already the youngest team in the NHL.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
It's just not worth giving up Bjorkstrand.. building a successful team is as much about who your veterans are just as much as it matters whothe youngins are. Bjorkstrand provides the leadership while still being on the right side of 30. While Nyquist provides leadership as well, for the long term of the franchise id rather lose Nyquist for nothing than give up Bjorkstrand. It isn't always about getting younger. We're already the youngest team in the NHL.
Right, I'm not saying that it's unreasonable to value Bjorkstrand above all that other stuff. What I'm saying is that it's unreasonable to dismiss out of hand what all of that stuff could actually be, first.

Practically speaking, if they can get a potential 1/2C and a potential Bjorkstrand replacement AND two first-rounders on top of that, I would personally be enticed enough to consider it. But as I said, I understand if it's not enticing for other Jackets fans.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

They don't need to trade Bjorkstrand, so Bjorkstrand's value is unaffected by the cap situation.
This is where you are wrong. The cap situation is known, so we're still going to get leveraged to hell and back. There is no avoiding it no matter what we try to do. Either we are going to lose the Nyquist trade, or we're going to lose both Nyquist and Bjorkstrand for suboptimal returns.

There does not exist a situation in which we win a trade that frees up cap right now. None. It does not exist. There is none. The best we can do is minimize the damage.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Nope. No interest in Nyquist.

How about something around Beauvillier for Bjorkstrand?
Isles get even slower.

Opponent will be closing in on like 60% possession time 5v5 if we keep shipping out our few players who can skate.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

or

or

I like the work with using the Mantha trade as a reference, but I don’t believe anyone is going to pay that price for Bjorkstrand- the 1st was a high first at the deadline.

A hockey trade for sure is the way to go. With regards to Nyquist - currently the landscape around the NHL Bluejackets may have to attach a higher asset than a mid round pick, like a 2nd gets it done. essentially, the team is paying a 2nd for Gaudreau.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Something around Wahlstrom for Bjorkstrand would probably benefit both teams.

CBJ gets cap space and a right shot sniper with potential, NYI gets a proven goal scorer now that they can pair with Barzal now.
Isles would still need to shed salary to make this work for them

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
it seems like they would deal a few other guys before they get to Bjorkstrand, and that they should be able to do so to get under the cap.

(Bjorkstrand dealt) So I wonder if they found zero market for Nyquist? This is a tough player to lose for so little.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
legendary threadddd
I mean he wasn't traded for his "real" value.

If Jarmo would have been able to take some money back, Bjorkstrand would have been worth more than the offers in here.

But Jarmo desperately needed to free up capspace and teams let him pay heavily for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino