Confirmed with Link: Bjorkstrand Signs Entry Deal

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

JCLiponfanboy*

I was very surprised when he fell to 89th I was very surprised. I think you guys got a gem.

JackieMoon

Howson Apologist
Jun 11, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Is anybody else concerned by how many players in the Blue Jackets system are below 185 lbs? Seems to be an abundance both on the roster and through out the system that match the same profile of below six foot and thin.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Is anybody else concerned by how many players in the Blue Jackets system are below 185 lbs? Seems to be an abundance both on the roster and through out the system that match the same profile of below six foot and thin.

Penguins have 9 forwards listed on their roster on the website listed at 195 and under. I wouldn't be concerned about their size as prospects.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

All things being equal, I prefer bigger players like Johansen, but I will take skill over size. Plus, most of our top forward prospects have good size.

Rychel - 6'1, 202
Jenner - 6'2, 208
Wennberg - 6'1, 183
Dano - 6'0, 198
Bjorkstrand - 6'0, 169

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

Not really, since there are a mix of bigger prospects like Anderson who can be combined on lines with smaller forwards. Some of the younger guys like Bjorkstrand and Søberg likely haven't done a lot of weight training.

Prospects like Mike Reilly who are 6'0 and under 180 may just have a thin build (like Brassard) that is more of a problem than being stockier with a lower center of gravity that makes them more difficult to knock around even if they are smaller.

Also, it depends on what stats you're looking at. On the CBJ official site, they don't appear to be updated as frequently and are overstated in other places. But they are growing kids.

On the CBJ In the Systems page, Bjorkstrand is listed as 5'11, 166. On the Portland Winterhawks' site: 6'0, 169 and on Denmark's roster for the WJC Div 1a: 5'11, 170. He's only 18 and won't be 19 until May, so there's plenty of time for Bjorkstand to be 5'11/6'-ish, 190 lbs which is about the average for NHLers now.

If you are going by the CBJ In the Systems page, the stats are incredibly outdated for some players. It lists Jake Hansen as 6'2, 168 but he's 6'2, 195lb according to the AHL.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
good signing...timing is weird to me...he has to go back to Portland next year anyways...but neither here nor there...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Josh Anderson was listed below 170 at his draft ... he's grown into his frame nicely.

Some kids take a little longer, but it certainly isn't the strangest thing that's happened. Third round picks are considered projects typically; Bjorkstrand is likely another 2-3 years from making an impact in the NHL, but it's nice to have him under contract so that our guys can have a bigger hand in his development.

Good pick, good signing. Hopefully, he keeps developing rapidly.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The kid is young, there is time for his body to fill out. But what he definitely has is really good hand-eye coordination. I like everything I have seen about him. Still so young. He was a great pickup at where we got him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad