GDT: Biting the Bullet - Canes @ Rangers

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
To trade one of our best D man of last few years, because he is not playing the best right now? This is why you are not a GM

I think he's peaked. Something happened at the end of last year, and it's affected him going forward. I'm not suggesting just getting rid of him, but if you can get a young, impact forward that you can keep for a long time, I think it's worth exploring.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's getting really difficult to cheer for a team you just know is going to disappoint you. Which is why tomorrow's attendance will look like we all know it will.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Is this speculation, or is your insider hat on?

Oh it's totally speculation, my bad for wording it poorly.

I think, just by watching, that his injury never really healed properly. Or it just hampered him long term and there's no way for him to get back to pre-injury Faulk.

It's not to say he's "not good." He's still good. I just think with what the Canes have on the blue line and who they have drafted, the time is right to grab a forward. Like a Jones for Johansen type deal.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Oh it's totally speculation, my bad for wording it poorly.

I think, just by watching, that his injury never really healed properly. Or it just hampered him long term and there's no way for him to get back to pre-injury Faulk.

It's not to say he's "not good." He's still good. I just think with what the Canes have on the blue line and who they have drafted, the time is right to grab a forward. Like a Jones for Johansen type deal.
Thing is these deals don`t happen often, and they are hard to work out. As well Francis is building from D, so if he will trade a D man, it will be a prospect probably, and it would make more sense to trade prospect like Fleury for scoring prospect.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Thing is these deals don`t happen often, and they are hard to work out. As well Francis is building from D, so if he will trade a D man, it will be a prospect probably, and it would make more sense to trade prospect like Fleury for scoring prospect.

Right, I totally get that. Like wallym said, I'm not suggesting Faulk for Vermette. If he can't get a big time forward, then don't trade him at all.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
These couple months show just how far away this team is.

Cam putting up .920, Skinner/Rask having better than expected years. TT/Aho in the 30-40 point range. Stalberg with 7 goals. Hanifin/Pesce/Slavin all playing well. #1 PK. Decent PP.

And still, they look like a bottom 10 team.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I like what Francis is doing, but would really like him to make a "shake up" trade for a winger. Our D is good, Ward has been great, Center depth is okay, but we only have like 3 wingers who are ever really consistently a threat to do anything.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
These couple months show just how far away this team is.

Cam putting up .920, Skinner/Rask having better than expected years. TT/Aho in the 30-40 point range. Stalberg with 7 goals. Hanifin/Pesce/Slavin all playing well. #1 PK. Decent PP.

And still, they look like a bottom 10 team.

Yep. way too weak offensively to be a top team.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As a fan of both the Canes and Colorado, I'd like that deal. It'd be one of the few scenarios where I could swallow losing Noah. Don't think it'd ever happen though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
So, do you trade someone like Hanifin for MacKinnon

MacKinnon is signed for 7 years which makes it a yes from me. Gives the Canes a clear-cut 1C for the better part of the next decade. The Canes defensive depth can absorb the blow.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
MacKinnon is signed for 7 years which makes it a yes from me. Gives the Canes a clear-cut 1C for the better part of the next decade. The Canes defensive depth can absorb the blow.

Yes. Although my reasons are bad as I'm just frustrated for watching this so many seasons now.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Mack isn't going anywhere. They have Mack and duchene, then a drop off to landeskog and it just gets ugly from there. The avs dealing a forward because it's a position of strength just isn't a thing anymore. Raantanen has some promise. If they traded Mack for Hanifin they would be awful. Just as bad as trading Duchene for Faulk.

As far as trading Faulk, to me that ship has sailed. Needed to happen last summer for full inflated value. He was pretty unlikely to keep that goal scoring level up so now he's basically where he was prior to blowing up. A guy works hard both ways but has some limitations and is prone to turnovers on occasion. Our defense with the developed versions of Hanifin, Pesce, Slavin and Faulk is impressive and well rounded. We will soon no longer need Faulk to be what people might've thought he was last year, or maybe we're there now. He's better in the long run for not being required to be the default number one vs part of a solid and young group.

Until one of the kids supplants these guys as a top four I don't see any of them moving. Unless the trade features an obvious top 4 back.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00