Confirmed with Link: Bissonnette to TNT

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
How and why and when did the hockey world collectively decide that color commentators had to be obnoxious clowns, with insufferable doofus schticks? And can we change that? Can we hold a vote?

I remember watching D-Backs games where Matt Williams did color. I was blown away with how insightful and educational it was. And he never once sounded like a brain-dead morning drive radio jockey. He provided simple, no nonsense, insightful expertise. There’s none of that in hockey.

Holy jumpin’!! :D

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Meh… it’s Deadspin.

Exactly, the former goon who is now doing color along side Wayne Gretzky probably laughed at the headline and went about his celebratory steak dinner. Opinion pieces like this are probably less concerning to Biz then some of the emails I get from clients.

Very happy for him, and his progression into hockey stardom is probably one of the top five most rewarding things to see as a Yotes fan.

Reactions: Jakey53 and 0point1

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Didn't even know TNT was doing hockey this year...I thought it was ESPN?

What @TheLegend said. ESPN+ has replaced NHL.TV. TNT replaces what used to be on NBCSN. ESPN+ can be purchased in a bundle with Hulu and Disney+ for $13.99/mo, which I think is a good deal, particularly if you were already subscribing to Disney. The hard part for cord cutters in AZ is figuring out how to watch the Coyotes.

https://plus.espn.com/nhl

Reactions: knich

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Reactions: Kai Yo T

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Charlie Simmer was pretty straight-laced but Doug McLoed was a complete clown. So that was a bit of an inverse situation. I was just a kid, so I liked McLoed. As an adult, I definitely don't.

My all-time favorite hockey PBP guy is Dave Strader(RIP). My all-time favorite color guy is Bill Clement. I think those two would be the GOAT broadcast tandem for hockey, if that would have ever happened (I don't think it did).
There have been many great PBP guys over the years in Canada, and same goes for color guys. In my opinion Strader was by far the best the Coyotes have had. Overall, the Coyotes are very weak in this area. I agree that Strader and Clements are very good, but not GOAT.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
There have been many great PBP guys over the years in Canada, and same goes for color guys. In my opinion Strader was by far the best the Coyotes have had. Overall, the Coyotes are very weak in this area. I agree that Strader and Clements are very good, but not GOAT.
Krys Kolanos Makes Patrick Roy Cry Like a Baby - YouTube
iu

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
What @TheLegend said. ESPN+ has replaced NHL.TV. TNT replaces what used to be on NBCSN. ESPN+ can be purchased in a bundle with Hulu and Disney+ for $13.99/mo, which I think is a good deal, particularly if you were already subscribing to Disney. The hard part for cord cutters in AZ is figuring out how to watch the Coyotes.

https://plus.espn.com/nhl

I'm surprised they aren't making it more expensive to be honest. I mean, they have UFC payperview on ESPN+, but MLS is on ESPN+. I figured since NHL.TV was more expensive, ESPN+ would kind of charge more to get to the cost of NHL.TV for the NHL games. But if it's strictly with an existing ESPN+ subscription you get all the games that they will have, that's a steal of a deal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I can’t wait for this kind of bullshit to be over and done with. It’s so transparent. By now we all have to see what feckless p***yes like this are all about right? Can we stop pretending soon?
People eat this shit up. Why, I don't know.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm surprised they aren't making it more expensive to be honest. I mean, they have UFC payperview on ESPN+, but MLS is on ESPN+. I figured since NHL.TV was more expensive, ESPN+ would kind of charge more to get to the cost of NHL.TV for the NHL games. But if it's strictly with an existing ESPN+ subscription you get all the games that they will have, that's a steal of a deal.

It is a good deal. Hulu alone is $6.99 and Disney+ is $8. ESPN is hoping that NHL fans that subscribe will not cancel when the reason ends. Some will, but many will keep it going.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
The difference is self-awareness and honesty. Barstool is what it is. Guys like the bitch who wrote this article make my blood boil.

The hypocrisy makes my blood boil. This guy is taking on what he feels is a group of a-holes, by being an even bigger a-hole. And he thinks he's the good guy. Completely unjustified, personal vendetta. Author needs anger management.

People now-a-days think they're gonna save the world, never realizing that they're actually part of what's ruining it.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Charlie Simmer was pretty straight-laced but Doug McLoed was a complete clown. So that was a bit of an inverse situation. I was just a kid, so I liked McLoed. As an adult, I definitely don't.

My all-time favorite hockey PBP guy is Dave Strader(RIP). My all-time favorite color guy is Bill Clement. I think those two would be the GOAT broadcast tandem for hockey, if that would have ever happened (I don't think it did).

Strader was a gem. Thorne and Clement were my favorite one-two studio combo ever. Still love Doc Emerick over everyone, though.

Reactions: Jakey53

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The difference is self-awareness and honesty. Barstool is what it is. Guys like the bitch who wrote this article make my blood boil.

Well, it's all part and parcel of the "renewal" of Deadspin after G/O Media tried to strong-arm the original editorial staff into curtailing their focus. The scabs who came in after the original Deadspin writers went and started Defector have tried to replicate the tone of the original site but have failed miserably - mostly because a) they aren't even a fraction as talented as the original crew and b) because they erroneously think that the quality of the original Deadspin was mean-spirited snark.

Barstool is a loathsome slimepit of toxic masculinity, but, like you said, at least they're being true to themselves and aren't pretending to be anything else. Nu-Deadspin is like that bug monster in Men in Black who wore an Edgar suit and pretended to be human.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I've never listened to Spittin Chicklets but Biz IMO is one of the better analysts in the game.

This guy clearly has never seen him or heard him on tv or radio for a Yotes game.

I know Biz has said and has done some racy things, particularly when younger, but he is a model analyst from what I have seen. I wish he and Nash would switch jobs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad