Post-Game Talk: Birthday Boy Bertuzzi Bashes the Avalance!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I wanna shout out Bertuzzi's desperation shot blocking prowess in these last two games. Against very good opponents and especially against Colorado in a playoff-like game the man was throwing his body in front of pucks fearlessly.

Will be huge in the playoffs if he's flinging himself around blocking shots like that.

I love that and I also would like to add, he also tried to block a shot a while back while he was 10 feet away and sliding back. Forgot which game, but it was the funniest thing I had not seen in a while.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Thats why the only line that seemed to have repeated success forechecking against the Avs was our 4th line.
Avs is really us on steroids. Makar is better than Reilly in everything. Toews is what we want McCabe or Lilly to become. Mack is more explosive than AM, while AM is the better scorer. Rantanen is pretty much a bigger and shooting version of MM. Landy(when healthy and playing) is a physical version of JT. Rojo is just Domi with teeth, lol.
You left out our second-best player.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
You left out our second-best player.
Exactly...

Mackinnon and Makar are better then Matthews and Rielly but we're pretty much as good or better the whole way down.

Matthews < Mackinnon
Rielly < Makar
Marner > Rantanen
Nylander > Nichushkin
Tavares > Drouin
Bertuzzi > Colton
Domi > O'Connor
McCabe < Toews
Knies > Wood

etc

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
so I had to watch periods 2 and 3 last night after watching the 1st live. I try to avoid learning the result but my dad gave it mostly away, even though I covered my ears I was basically certain they weren't going to lose, or maybe that was just my newfound confidence in Ilya Samsonov. sick shit form Nylander on the GWG, reminds of that Zetterberg no-look assist from behind the net which is probably my favourite play ever.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Exactly...

Mackinnon and Makar are better then Matthews and Rielly but we're pretty much as good or better the whole way down.

Matthews < Mackinnon
Rielly < Makar
Marner > Rantanen
Nylander > Nichushkin
Tavares > Drouin
Bertuzzi > Colton
Domi > O'Connor
McCabe < Toews
Knies > Wood

etc
I prefer the big body, highly skilled, goal scorer, cheaper Ranta over Marner. They also have a dman named Byram who skates like the wind and is going to get better if he can avoid another concussion.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Exactly. A much better comparison, and one we're more likely to win, is Nylander to Rantanen. And it pushes all the other comparisons down.
Ranta > Marner > Nylander. When Willie puts up numbers the other two have, you can pump him as being the better player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly. A much better comparison, and one we're more likely to win, is Nylander to Rantanen. And it pushes all the other comparisons down.
My response was pointing out to you that the '2nd best player' was listed and compared to Rantanen.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thats why the only line that seemed to have repeated success forechecking against the Avs was our 4th line.
Avs is really us on steroids. Makar is better than Reilly in everything. Toews is what we want McCabe or Lilly to become. Mack is more explosive than AM, while AM is the better scorer. Rantanen is pretty much a bigger and shooting version of MM. Landy(when healthy and playing) is a physical version of JT. Rojo is just Domi with teeth, lol.

Well the thing is the Avs want to trade chances with just about anybody and they use their D like a pressure cooker lid. And Toronto really sagged when they tried running with them. I think if you ever had to play them in the playoffs you basically form a 5 man red rover between center ice and the blueline. Don’t concede too much ice and keep it static. Stop them stretching in open ice. And then hammer their D on retrievals. That negates the rush and stretch factor they have.

Reactions: Gabriel426

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Ranta > Marner > Nylander. When Willie puts up numbers the other two have, you can pump him as being the better player.
This year Willy is putting up better numbers, despite being the only one who's playing on the second line, and with very little help from his linemates (until recently).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
My response was pointing out to you that the '2nd best player' was listed and compared to Rantanen.
I know what you meant (just having a bit of fun). Even saying Willy is third, why was he omitted? Plus I think he's a better comparison to Rantanen.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I wanna shout out Bertuzzi's desperation shot blocking prowess in these last two games. Against very good opponents and especially against Colorado in a playoff-like game the man was throwing his body in front of pucks fearlessly.

Will be huge in the playoffs if he's flinging himself around blocking shots like that.

After watching that second block I almost felt bad for him until I remembered all the pain he inflicted on Harry and Marv in the early 90s.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I know what you meant (just having a bit of fun). Even saying Willy is third, why was he omitted? Plus I think he's a better comparison to Rantanen.
I omitted Willie bc I could not find a comparison. It was really that simple.

Reactions: arso40

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Exactly...

Matthews < Mackinnon
Rielly < Makar
Marner > Rantanen
Nylander > Nichushkin
Tavares > Drouin
Bertuzzi > Colton
Domi > O'Connor
McCabe < Toews
Knies > Wood

etc
I’d take Mathews over Mac, the rest I agree with

Reactions: authentic

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I omitted Willie bc I could not find a comparison. It was really that simple.
First, if you're saying they are a much better team - "Leafs on steroids" - then having to leave off our second or third best player seems to invalidate your point.

Also, you said "Rantanen is pretty much a bigger and shooting version of MM." Which pretty much describes Willy.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Exactly...

Matthews < Mackinnon
Rielly < Makar
Marner > Rantanen
Nylander > Nichushkin
Tavares > Drouin
Bertuzzi > Colton
Domi > O'Connor
McCabe < Toews
Knies > Wood

etc
I would switch Marner and Nylander (better compariions I think), but we win both either way.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
After July 1 when the leafs pay his signing bonus he’s only owed 910 k. Tavares at under a million would be great value for a team that can absorb the cap hit i.e Buffalo.

I still don’t think they have the stones to ask him to waive his NMC but if it means we can keep Bertuzzi and sign a RD then it’s hard not to want to have that talk.
True, true! Never looked at it that way.

Dion was a better captain too. Theyshould strip it.
Give.it to MO or Auston I say

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad