B-Sens Binghamton to Play Carleton University in Ottawa (Sept. 28th)

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
According to Carleton Athletics, the Binghamton Senators will play an exhibition game in Ottawa on Monday, September 28th against the Carleton Ravens men's hockey team. Puck drop slated for 7 p.m..

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this game will 'sell out', seeing as the Carleton Ice House only holds about 350 people.

Kind of interesting to see a CIS team swing an exhibition game against an AHL team, especially one with close ties to the NHL team in its own city.

Wonder if the crowd will be more Pro-Carleton or Pro-Binghamton.

:popcorn:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wouldn't it make more sense to hold it at a different arena like TD Place where the 67s play? I would think this would be a good opportunity for Carleton to make some money selling tickets & a few thousand tickets sold is better than a few hundred.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
According to Carleton Athletics, the Binghamton Senators will play an exhibition game in Ottawa on Monday, September 28th against the Carleton Ravens men's hockey team. Puck drop slated for 7 p.m..

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this game will 'sell out', seeing as the Carleton Ice House only holds about 350 people.

Kind of interesting to see a CIS team swing an exhibition game against an AHL team, especially one with close ties to the NHL team in its own city.

Wonder if the crowd will be more Pro-Carleton or Pro-Binghamton.

:popcorn:

Question: Are Canadian University teams permitted to play against pro teams?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Wouldn't it make more sense to hold it at a different arena like TD Place where the 67s play? I would think this would be a good opportunity for Carleton to make some money selling tickets & a few thousand tickets sold is better than a few hundred.

I agree. Seems weird to me. Maybe the Ravens don't want too many people seeing this game.:laugh:

Depending on what kind of lineup the B-Sens ice this one could be a bloodbath.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think this is cool, but surprised it's happening. This could be a crazy blowout. (for the Ravens obviously..)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Question: Are Canadian University teams permitted to play against pro teams?

Why wouldn't they be?
I'm pretty sure that NCAA teams even have had the occasional friendly against a pro team. Or at least against a CHL team (which the NCAA considers semi-pro at the least)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Probably testing things out to see how fast this will sellout

Once you've got an idea of the demand, then you start spending on location

MyTwoSens

Jun 18, 2015
Ottawa
I attend many Ravens hockey games. It is actually great hockey to watch (plus I have a few buddies on the team so I gotta support them), and I get in for free (student life is rough). They are pretty damn good (most guys played in the O or Q, a couple even got drafted into the NHL), but the Bsens should not have too many issues. They make lots of mistakes that you don't see in the pros, but that makes it interesting when both teams are making those mistakes. I would hope the Bsens would have a lot less mistakes than a CIS team.

There will be quite a few of the better Bsens up playing for the Sens in the preseason (puempel, prince, robinson, paul, claesson and many more) so that might make it a little more fair. But still should not be a contest.

I'll definitely be there, cheering on every goal by both squads. I'm suuuuper glad to see that this is a thing. :handclap:

Would be way more logical to have it at TD arena though...

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Maybe Matt O'Conner can pull that classic glove save trick he did in the frozen four, keep it close.

ZPZUGW0.gif

Edit: there is also this...

OConnorOwnGoal.gif

......and this.

matt-oconnor.gif

Maybe Matt will be up with the Sens so it can't happen in the Ravens game :laugh:

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I'll go to this game if its cheap and at TD Place(ideally) or the CTC.

Hopefully it wont be too lopsided.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
I attend many Ravens hockey games. It is actually great hockey to watch (plus I have a few buddies on the team so I gotta support them), and I get in for free (student life is rough). They are pretty damn good (most guys played in the O or Q, a couple even got drafted into the NHL), but the Bsens should not have too many issues. They make lots of mistakes that you don't see in the pros, but that makes it interesting when both teams are making those mistakes. I would hope the Bsens would have a lot less mistakes than a CIS team.

There will be quite a few of the better Bsens up playing for the Sens in the preseason (puempel, prince, robinson, paul, claesson and many more) so that might make it a little more fair. But still should not be a contest.

I'll definitely be there, cheering on every goal by both squads. I'm suuuuper glad to see that this is a thing. :handclap:

Would be way more logical to have it at TD arena though...

This. Good hockey, but way more mistakes than in the pros.

I'm assuming the reason it's not at TD Arena is because OSEG would have charged rent $$ which might have outpaced gate receipts.

And with Carleton, they're not concerned about making money with the hockey team. This exhibition game is purely for coach Johnston's team to get some reps in against quality opposition.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why wouldn't they be?
I'm pretty sure that NCAA teams even have had the occasional friendly against a pro team. Or at least against a CHL team (which the NCAA considers semi-pro at the least)

I don't know why they would not be; however, there are college rules designed to ensure the college players remain amateurs that affect college players attending NHL activities with financial support such as costs paid. So, that is the reason for my Q. Insurance issues might also be a concern, as players could be injured in such games. I recall that in amateur hockey for kids, the CAHA insurance did not cover games against non CAHA teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad