GDT: Billy Moores Cup

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Here are my thoughts on some guys that impressed me aside from the big three, all of whom I thought played great:

John Marino - Probably the guy who impressed me the most aside from the big three. He has an extremely smooth stride. He mad some simple but effective plays on defence and some nice passes in the offensive zone. Also was a second away from dropping the gloves with Braeden Christopher after a skirmish along the boards, Christopher is a tough customer and Marino didn't back down.

Caleb Jones - Showed nice offensive tools as well as good mobility. He's much thicker than I thought and looks to be one to watch in our system.

Joey LaLeggia - Showed some really nice offensive skill, very slick hands and skating combined with a good shot. I have plenty of concern over his strength and defensive ability but his offence cannot be denied.

Tyler Soy - Potted one goal and was very active around the net. Plays a water bug style and uses his edges very well.

Kevin Bouchard - He is the brunt of many jokes on this board but looked really good tonight. He is very athletic and has a projectable frame.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Do you honestly believe that McDavid wouldn't have drawn that type of response in any other Canadian NHL city?

Oiler fans are indeed great fans but this is a little over the top IMO.

How many other teams would've had as solid of attendance with Lowe and MacT at the helm?

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
of course not but he's right in saying people have packed Millennium place in the past to watch Prospects camp

heck, the Oiler Rookies vs. Golden Bears games are always full and have been since the 80s

honestly, not sure why it bothers you that he thinks Edmonton has the best fans in the NHL...cause he's not far off
Weren't those at Clare Drake Arena. This years' Oilers Rookies vs Golden Bears is at Rexall Place.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I liked Leveille's game, but his skating's ugly. Still worth seeing him in September.

Leveille's skating reminds me of Draisaitl's. In a straight line he's a decent enough skater, but his lateral mobility is severely lacking. He still seems like a guy who's worth a contract in my books, the other assets he brings to the table along with a great work ethic definitely give him a chance to turn into an NHLer IMO.

Platzer's going to score 25 next season in the AHL.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Every time he's come to camp he's demonstrated that he has an NHL calibre shot. I've always felt that he had an outside shot at turning into an NHLer, and finally figuring it out at the OHL this year was a big step in the right direction.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Anyone who says Platzer will be an NHLer is bang on. I was there yesterday and Friday and came out very impressed with Platzer. I think he's Eberle-lite. I think he will also replace Eberle when his contact is up.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Am I the only one not seeing Nurse good?

ok heres what i see in nurse , and no one seems to agree.
Hes a player that relies on his strength quite a bit and his ability to physical dominate the opposition, he's a very smooth skater and can definitely move the puck , a good outlet pass but he has a bit of hemsky in him , he just holds the puck for too long and that kills a lot of his offence. His offensive game is weak , he tries to do too much and it causes him to do nothing , his shot from the point is weak but still accurate

overall: a lot of his tendencies can we coached out but his skating will carry him and he will end up being a #3 that has a strong 2way d game that puts between 20-25 points a year and a big IF he can develop a bomb from the point he can take another step but his offence is disappointing atm

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Leveille's skating reminds me of Draisaitl's. In a straight line he's a decent enough skater, but his lateral mobility is severely lacking. He still seems like a guy who's worth a contract in my books, the other assets he brings to the table along with a great work ethic definitely give him a chance to turn into an NHLer IMO.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Every time he's come to camp he's demonstrated that he has an NHL calibre shot. I've always felt that he had an outside shot at turning into an NHLer, and finally figuring it out at the OHL this year was a big step in the right direction.

Decent hands, good speed, elite shot and a hockey IQ to be in the right place at the right time. He's a natural goal scorer, through and through. I wish he had some grit in his game though.

ivanthebad*

Depends on what your expectations are? He is perhaps going to be one of the best d skaters in the NHL, can hit and pass out of his zone tremendously. He only ever looks bad when he does too much offensively. He also has a world class ability to side step players on the blueline. Tame down his offensive expectations and he is a pure stud!

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Platzer is an interesting prospect. At times Platzer was completely invisible, then out of nowhere number 71 creates a scoring chance. His goal was similar, leading up to the play I barely even noticed that Platzer was on the ice, then suddenly he picks up the second chance opportunity and buries it. The kid plays a subliminal game and knows where to be and when to be there.

Depends on what your expectations are? He is perhaps going to be one of the best d skaters in the NHL, can hit and pass out of his zone tremendously. He only ever looks bad when he does too much offensively. He also has a world class ability to side step players on the blueline. Tame down his offensive expectations and he is a pure stud!

Honestly I'm fine with Nurse trying to generate offensive opportunities by going ham into the offensive zone, if he fails he can think about what he should've done and what not to do the next time. Decision making isn't something that comes naturally to everyone and it's the best way for him to learn. I would like to see him defer more to his forwards in a 5v5 setting, I know he's trying to make an impression with the team, but more often than not the move is going to be shut down by NHL caliber players who can match his speed and strength. I'm okay with him trying something if we're down two goals or something, but if its a 1-1 tie, there are better ways to put your team in a position break up opposing defences.

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Platzer is an interesting prospect. At times Platzer was completely invisible, then out of nowhere number 71 creates a scoring chance. His goal was similar, leading up to the play I barely even noticed that Platzer was on the ice, then suddenly he picks up the second chance opportunity and buries it. The kid plays a subliminal game and knows where to be and when to be there.

And finishes his chances. He's Justin Williams-lite.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Missed the game but just saw the highlights. I feel bad for everyone that had to hear "Stadium Love" 14 times tonight. Kill it with fire.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Bad case of Smiditis

I was talking with a buddy today after the scrimmage and we thought the very same thing. Young Smid looked very similar to Nurse - decent offensive numbers despite not having the greatest offensive awareness, great skater. Guilty of frequently skating the puck in and not knowing what to do with it after.

Not saying that Nurse is going to turn into Smid 2.0, but it seems like a real possibility to me. Which would be quite disappointing, especially if none of our other D prospects develop better than expected to compensate for it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They should really consider switching Laleggia to wing. I know we said the same about Schultz and Larsen, but Laleggia is faster than both and a better effort level than both.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Missed the game but just saw the highlights. I feel bad for everyone that had to hear "Stadium Love" 14 times tonight. Kill it with fire.

I hate it, too. It's a sad attempt at copying the Blackhawks Chelsea Dagger. It's terrible, high pitched, unemotional, unoriginal, and terrible. Just terrible.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
No, it's a legitimate statement imo

Nurse has a **** ton of tools but he doesn't have great instincts.

As seen tonight in a pond hockey game, or, for instance, how in elite tournies (U18/U20) the offense dries up.

Don't care about offense. If he can pot a few that's great, but defending means keeping the puck out of your own net and EDM needs that more than offensive defensemen jumping into the rush every two seconds like a Justin Schultz. Though to be honest, Nurse seems to do that an awful lot as well. It's like he feels he needs to make a difference at both ends of the ice every single shift. Needs to do a better job of knowing when to jump up. Other than that at only 20 years old, he's well on his way to being a top pairing defenseman (not there yet, but will be).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No, it's a legitimate statement imo

Nurse has a **** ton of tools but he doesn't have great instincts.

As seen tonight in a pond hockey game, or, for instance, how in elite tournies (U18/U20) the offense dries up.

Doesnt have great 'offensive' instincts perhaps but defensively he is great... He doesnt need to put up points to be a great Dman..At worst he will be an athletic version of Smid.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Decent hands, good speed, elite shot and a hockey IQ to be in the right place at the right time. He's a natural goal scorer, through and through. I wish he had some grit in his game though.

I've seen him throw around players in junior time and time again. He has grit and lots of it...

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
Do you honestly believe that McDavid wouldn't have drawn that type of response in any other Canadian NHL city?

Oiler fans are indeed great fans but this is a little over the top IMO.

Are you kidding me? It would have been a circus in Toronto. They would have charged admission and Don Cherry would have done Coach's Corner during the intermission.

Maybe a slight exaggeration, but TO definitely would have put a show on.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

He's excellent in the defensive zone but last night I could see that he would skate it all the way into the opponent's end and the play would die in the corner. I think he should actually simplify his game and try to make that first outlet pass to one of the forwards. Then that will give him room to pinch when needed in the offensive zone as he won't be dragging 3 guys with him while entering the zone. Great physical tools and skill but he definitely needs to learn to use his teammates more

Ogopogo*

McDavid showed something that maybe only two other players in the world can show - he stands out every time he is on the ice; he was clearly the best player on Monday night. He has the skills and confidence to be the best player on the planet in the next 2 or 3 years. I expect nothing less than 75 points as a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad