Play-by-Play: Kevin Harlan
Color Analyst: Rich Gannon

NFL Sunday Ticket Week 12

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
So there are 6 games left. I'm gonna give each of them a point value on relative importance.

KC = 14
Jets = 12
Houston = 9
NFC Teams = 6

36 points worth of wins and we make the playoffs, IMO.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I'd go a little higher on the KC game, a win there I think locks the tiebreak over PIT and KC and then 9-7 becomes likely to get them in. A loss, then you're realistically assuming KC finishes ahead of you with their easy finishing schedule, and it just gets a lot tougher.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I'd go a little higher on the KC game, a win there I think locks the tiebreak over PIT and KC and then 9-7 becomes likely to get them in. A loss, then you're realistically assuming KC finishes ahead of you with their easy finishing schedule, and it just gets a lot tougher.
They could actually lose a tiebreaker to Pittsburgh if they win all 3 non-conference games and Pittsburgh loses to Seattle. 9-7 with an assumed loss to the Jets is a very dangerous place to be. If we beat the Chiefs but lose to the Jets the tiebreaker with the Jets inside the division could flip (if the Jets beat the Dolphins this week it would go to strength of victory, which is fluid). In that case, the win over the Chiefs doesn't mean squat, because the Chiefs would likely win tiebreakers with the Jets (their conference record is very good). A three way tie with the Texans and Chiefs would also probably not do us any good if we lose to the Texans.

Beat KC and the Jets, and yes, more likely than not you only need 9 wins (that potential KC-HOU-BUF three way tie is still scary though). If Miami beats the Jets this week (thus clinching a tiebreaker for us with the Jets even if we lose to them...well, unless they somehow beat New England), then yes, we'll probably only need 9 wins if we beat KC. The only way I think 9-7 is safe as of right now though is if those wins include KC and the Jets. KC/HOU/2 NFC teams gives us a pretty good shot, for sure (as indicated by summing 35), but if you told me that's what we were going to do right now, I'd have to assume we blew a play-in game against the Jets.

EDIT: Incidentally, losing to Kansas City actually clinches the tiebreaker against the Jets (unless they somehow beat New England), adding to the reason they should actually be rooting for the Bills this week. KC and Pittsburgh could shut them out of the playoffs even if they play well down the stretch, especially if you assume the Jets will lose to New England. But they have a chance to hand the Bills a loss themselves. And even if they still end up losing the intradivisional tiebreak to Buffalo, it behooves them for Buffalo to win the inter-division tiebreak as soon as possible so they can jump into the fray.

E2: Also worth noting is that if you go to ESPN's playoff machine and decide games by power rankings (that is, the better team according to ESPN's "experts" wins every game, the Bills actually lose to KC then run the table, taking the 6th seed at 10-6. Pittsburgh has a rough schedule going out. They could easily be in the mix at 9-7, and a NYJ/HOU/2 NFC teams package of wins has the Bills sitting pretty in the tiebreakers there. None of this approaches where we're "safe", but there are certainly paths to the playoffs if we lose to KC.

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
New York Times Playoff Simulator

JERRY HUGHES: "WE'RE PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER" (3:02)
Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes talks about the defensive performance as of late, Rex Ryan's scheme, and defending the Kansas City Chiefs offense.

TYROD TAYLOR: "WE HAVE THE RIGHT GUYS" (5:37)
QB Tyrod Taylor talks about the status of his injury, recaps the Patriots game and looks ahead to Kansas City in Week 12.

LESEAN MCCOY: "A LOT IS RIDING ON THIS GAME" (6:28)
RB LeSean McCoy talks about his relationship with Chiefs Head Coach Andy Reid, the sense of urgency moving forward, offensive communication and more.

TYROD TAYLOR LIMITED WEDNESDAY, TO THROW THURSDAY
Tyrod Taylor was limited in practice Wednesday, but expects to be a more involved participant Thursday.

WATCH: TYROD UPDATE, REX WANTS SAMMY MORE INVOLVED (2:40)
A quick update on the status of Quarterback Tyrod Taylor, Rex talks about wanting to get Watkins more involved in the offense, injuries moving in to Week 12 and more.

Reid Comments on Houston and Berry's Leadership (10:12)
Coach Reid addresses the bond and leadership role shared by Justin Houston and Eric Berry.

Sutton Thinks Marcus Peters Keeps Getting Better (6:56)
Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton comments on Rookie cornerback Marcus Peters' constant improvement this season.

Dave Toub Comments On Dustin Colquitt (3:17)
Special Teams Coach Dave Toub comments on punter Dustin Colquitt winning AFC Special Teams Player of the week.

KC's 4 game streak includes wins against the Steelers with Landry Jones, the Lions in London playing with no life, the Broncos with multiple gifts from Peyton Manning, and the injury decimated Chargers. Forgive me if I'm just not that impressed. It reminds me of when Miami won two games decisively by beating up on two bad teams after replacing Joe Philbin with Dan Campbell and many people were convinced that they were a juggernaut.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Eh I'm not sure those are big losses. Miller maybe. The defensive line has been so disappointing this year.

Chiefs RB and TE are questionable. Not sure who they have for RB if West is out.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I think that firmly adds the Dallas game to the win column baring injuries to us

They have 4 games they should win and 2 that I wouldn't be surprised went either way. Sunday and the Skins game. Not sure what would happen in regards to Pittsburgh if they lost this game. It'd be a common opponent that they both would have lost to and Cincinnati...if they lose the second game is another. If they beat the Colts they both have a win there. Both lost to NE.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad