NFL: Bills-Bengals postponement impact on schedule discussion (UPD: Game cancelled)

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Above you were defending the Chiefs getting the 1 seed. Now, you seem upset over it.

Do you think the league got this wrong?

Keep in mind that head to head is a tiebreaker. Better record is the decision maker. The Chiefs, at the end of the day, will have the better record.

In 2012 the Ravens beat NE. Yet, Patriots hosted the Ravens in playoffs.

In 2013, the Patriots visited Denver despite beating them in regular season.

In 2018, NE beat KC twice. The playoff game was in KC though.

The league is trying it's best to make the best of a bad situation. I don't see things in right or wrong. There is no precedent for this situation so using prior examples of the rules being applied is useless.

The NFL, and presumably all teams by default, determined it would have been inhumane to try to finish this game under the current rules. It is not "Buffalo choose to default, they need to face the consequences". Nor is it a "game cancelled due to weather, stadium issue, etc... " where, according to the rules, winning %'s are then used to seed the teams.

With this in mind, trying to mitigate the effect of a cancelled game on the competitiveness of the playoffs is paramount i.e. no team should unfairly benefit from this if there is a possibility to reasonably do so.

The solution so far takes into consideration all of the outcomes that were still in play going into the Bills/Bengals game. Perhaps it can be tweaked but, IMO, it fundamentally is fair and makes sense.

It is time to move on.

Reactions: Voight

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What are you going to do? Their game was cancelled and there has to be consequences.

It sucks but it's time to move on.

What bothers me is this:

Bills were the #1 and controlled their own destiny
Bills had the tiebreaker over the Chiefs
Bengals had the tiebreaker over the Chiefs

End result = Chiefs #1.
They got a major advantage handed out to them

Nah, Lamar isnt playing this week. Dont let the facts get in the way of your narrative though.

Yep

Daver is pushing the least likely scenarios as the most likely non stop

Reactions: Voight

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
What bothers me is this:

Bills were the #1 and controlled their own destiny
Bills had the tiebreaker over the Chiefs
Bengals had the tiebreaker over the Chiefs

End result = Chiefs #1.
They got a major advantage handed out to them

Sorry to be blunt but present a better alternative that doesn't hurt the Chiefs more than the Bills and Bengals or shut the hell up. I don't want to continually hear how "unfair" this is to the Bills and Bengals.

Life is unfair, you deal with it the best you can. I am sure the Bills would take the rest of the season off if they could undue the unfortunate accident that happened to their teammate.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No, I am pushing to have you guys stop bitching for the sake of bitching. That's my narrative.

You keep pushing for the least likely outcomes so I call them out

Sorry to be blunt but present a better alternative that doesn't hurt the Chiefs more than the Bills and Bengals or shut the hell up. I don't want to continually hear how "unfair" this is to the Bills and Bengals.

Life is unfair, you deal with it the best you can. I am sure the Bills would take the rest of the season off if they could undue the unfortunate accident that happened to their teammate.

Bills held the cards to #1 and that was handed tl Chiefs without the Bills losing a game
They should have had the right to battle for that spot

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Bills held the cards to #1 and that was handed tl Chiefs without the Bills losing a game
They should have had the right to battle for that spot

Again, what is your solution to this issue without putting the 13-3 Bills unfairly ahead of the 14-3 Chiefs for the #1 seed?

And "I don't know what the solutions is, all I know is that it is unfair to the Bills" is not a solution, it is a useless complaint.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You keep pushing for the least likely outcomes so I call them out

No, I am saying if the Bengals want winning % to be used exclusively for them to win the division then they cannot complain if winning % is used to seed the teams.

This is not a narrative, it is common sense. Opinion on who would have or who will beat who is irrelevant to this common sense.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The Bengals got so royally f***ed here....

i'd be raging if i were a fan or in the organization. i guess you have to just use it as fuel to your fire.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

i'd be raging if i were a fan or in the organization. i guess you have to just use it as fuel to your fire.
KC up 18 in the 4th vs LV. Would have ended Cin hope of a bye if they finish off the raiders.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

I don't really care, personally.

We are at the point where we need to take of our own business regardless of setbacks. We are not just happy to be here. We may win some playoff games or we might be out immediately, but we are expecting to be competitive in every game regardless of where it's held.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Again, what is your solution to this issue without putting the 13-3 Bills unfairly ahead of the 14-3 Chiefs for the #1 seed?

And "I don't know what the solutions is, all I know is that it is unfair to the Bills" is not a solution, it is a useless complaint.

How wouldn’t it have been fair to give Bills the chance for the #1?

They played the entire season to earn the right to controll their faith just it to be handed to the Chiefs.
That’s brutal and just gifting Chiefs a Super Bowl run.

Bills were the #1 team, Bills had the tiebreaker against the Chiefs yet in the end it meant zero

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
How wouldn’t it have been fair to give Bills the chance for the #1?

They played the entire season to earn the right to controll their faith just it to be handed to the Chiefs.
That’s brutal and just gifting Chiefs a Super Bowl run.

Bills were the #1 team, Bills had the tiebreaker against the Chiefs yet in the end it meant zero

In case you were unaware, your response falls into the bolded category.

BTW, the Chiefs may lose a chance the host the AFC Championship vs. the Bills (if they win today). In a vacuum, you can say that is unfair to the Chiefs.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
It would be cool to see a stadium with half Bills fans and half Chiefs fans, maybe segregated like they do in soccer. Would be an interesting atmosphere.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It would be cool to see a stadium with half Bills fans and half Chiefs fans, maybe segregated like they do in soccer. Would be an interesting atmosphere.

I wonder if they will get enough people to travel that far to fill the place up, too bad they couldn't get it in Indy or Detroit so it could be closer for both fanbases

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if they will get enough people to travel that far to fill the place up, too bad they couldn't get it in Indy or Detroit so it could be closer for both fanbases
Detroit is on the list for bad field turf. But surprised it wasn’t somewhere in between the 2 like Indy. Guess they needed advanced notice and with Minny in PO that was not in play.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Detroit is on the list for bad field turf. But surprised it wasn’t somewhere in between the 2 like Indy. Guess they needed advanced notice and with Minny in PO that was not in play.
Indy said no because they have some big national volleyball tournament there that weekend.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Indy said no because they have some big national volleyball tournament there that weekend.
I see. This the benefit of having a retractable roof. Couldn’t do that with an open air stadium. Guess they figured that they were not good enough to host the championship game to have that weekend booked. Lol….

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They will. For some people who can’t get tickets to games, it will be their opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad