Bill Daly – The NHL is Healthy

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
The reason why teams are subsidized is irrelevant in the end. The point is that US teams did not HAVE to subsidize CDN teams, but they did.

Didn't the currency equalization money come out of the pool of NHL league revenue, rather than individual NHL team revenue? Today's revenue sharing formula is a combination of those two pools.

Anyway, the NHL gets a much larger percentage of its league revenue from the Canadian market place than its 1/5th team share would suggest. In that sense NHL teams in the USA are subsidized by the Canadian market place. The percentage of such subsidization is set to rise as CBC signs a rumoured 10 year 1 billion dollar TV deal with the NHL for Canadian national broadcast rights to Saturday games and certain playoffs (revenues to be shared equally by all 30 teams).

It looks to me like the currency equalization plan was just a give back to certain Canadian teams of some of the league revenue sourced in Canada -- i.e., a higher percentage cut than a mere 1/30th.

GHOST

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Actually, it is more a situation of protecting the vast majority of players with signed contracts. The players who benefit from a higher cap are the unsigned players. The higher the cap, the bigger contracts they sign. The bigger contracts they sign, the higher the risk of escrow cutting into everyone's paycheck, including the players with existing contracts.
And it was something that the NHLPA could do to limit escrow without having to amend the CBA and get buy in from the NHLPA membership - the mechanism to accept or renegotiate the 5% inflation factor was already in the CBA (assuming revenues were above $2.1B). Saskin's first attempt to limit escrow was a trial baloon proposal to change the cap/floor from midpoint +$8M/-$8M to midpoint +$5M/-$11M, a proposal which got no traction from the membership.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Come on. Do you really think people bought stuff just so they could destroy it? I'm pretty sure that doesn't add up to a number with too many zeros (if any) at the end.
Normally I'd say, "no" - but if you go read the comments on the Oilers board from June 2006 when word came out that Pronger wanted out, .... yeah, I think quite a few thousand dollars was spent by people on Pronger stuff just so they could trash it. The ability and desire of people to squander money doing something like this shouldn't be completely dismissed - while it's probably a drop in the bucket compared to their $26M in playoff revenue, I just find it laughable that people thought (and maybe still do) that would really hurt Pronger.

Fugu

One thing I have been meaning to point out, fugu, is that the decision to forego the 5% inflation is hardly evidence of any "cooperative" feeling form the NHLPA or a cozy relationship.

It could if you’re from the school of thought that says it is in the players’ interest to have a higher cap. Recall certain teams wanted not only a cap, but a cap that wouldn’t exceed the low $40’s MM level. Escrow and linkage make this a tougher exercise than simply looking at cap levels, which I’ll expand on below. Thus it would seem the NHL should want a lower cap before the NHLPA would to keep their smaller market contingent happier. Not all lower revenue teams qualify for revenue sharing so a higher cap affects them more than a revenue-sharing recipient.

What is the scenario where it is in the NHLPA’s interest to have a lower cap? As long as revenues are growing and outpacing escrow retention, a lower cap is hard to support. The conspiracy theorists will say Saskin was hedging since he perhaps misrepresented how the escrow plan would work. [Under investigation by the NHLPA]

Was Saskin really putting forward the best option for the players when he floated the lower cap band (as kdb explains above)?

As you know, the players get what their percentage says they get, regardless of the cap. As such, the NHL cares a little but does not care nearly as much as the NHLPA should.

In the case where the cap level is increasing, I have to disagree that the NHL should care less because a very high cap benefits the higher revenue teams. Many of these discussions still center on the NHL as a single, revenue-generating entity. It is not, and each team has its own revenue and operational costs that do not mirror the aggregate 54-56% of revenue. For Toronto, New York or Detroit, $50 MM represents a far smaller percentage of total revenues than the commensurate amount would for the Islanders, Oilers, Predators, Lightning, or Capitals, for example.

They do have cost certainty and thus can plan more appropriately, however without some individual revenue growth that closes some of the gap between the highest and the lowest, their costs are still much higher as a percentage of their revenues.

In deciding whether to forego the 5%, the question really is whether the NHLPA believes revenues will achieve the 5% growth and what the projected escrow might be that could go back to the owners in whole or in part. If the NHLPA does not think the escrow will all come back, then it becomes a value judgment by them as to whether a decision should be taken to benefit the majority of players who are already signed (that is, forego the automatic escalation) or benefit the FA players (put the escalation in and keep the cap as high as possible). Either way, collectively the NHL pays the same amount.

I’m not sure what the annual turnover rates are, thus we can’t assume that a majority is under contract each and every year—although it might have been the case last summer. Certainly that is a point to consider. However as long as revenues are growing, the best strategy has to be as high a cap as is allowed under the CBA. It is true that the players collectively will never get more than the amount prescribed by linkage, but as individuals with careers of variable lengths, each year should be a maximization of individual return. That’s perhaps part of the risk of long-term contracts - for players who choose to enter into these - however I don’t think the majority of players do get long-term deals.

Fugu

And it was something that the NHLPA could do to limit escrow without having to amend the CBA and get buy in from the NHLPA membership - the mechanism to accept or renegotiate the 5% inflation factor was already in the CBA (assuming revenues were above $2.1B). Saskin's first attempt to limit escrow was a trial baloon proposal to change the cap/floor from midpoint +$8M/-$8M to midpoint +$5M/-$11M, a proposal which got no traction from the membership.

kdb, why do you think Saskin believed this was the correct thing to do?

Fugu

2. The reason why teams are subsidized is irrelevant in the end. The point is that US teams did not HAVE to subsidize CDN teams, but they did. Revenue sharing creates a stronger league.

I understand the argument of a league only being as strong as its weakest link however I do have to qualify the bolded statement. Up to a point. The source of the revenues should be considered (is revenue being shared or is wealth being transferred – wealth as defined by economists). Secondly, the way the revenue is spread out, over how many teams, along with intrinsic market factors (mainly market potential) should be considerations. Too many teams sharing too little revenue if the majority of the revenue is being generated disproportionately isn’t really a solution.
A brief mention should be made that there’s a school of thought that believes this approach may not provide enough incentive to some owners to invest in their own businesses, an issue with some merit if the NFL infighting can be cited. Different can of worms however…

3. Furthermore, my point was to demonstrate that revenues are cyclical for a variety of reasons. Canadian teams are doing excellently these days. That was not always the case. While the low Cdn dollar was the putative reason for subsidization, it still would not have been all that necessary if the western teams were doing well.

4. Further to #3, in the first part of this decade, the western Canada teams were lower tier. Calgary and Edmonton were 17th and 20th in attendance in 2000-01. The next year, Edmonton was 17th and Calgary was 21st. The next year, 15th and 17th, and the year after that, 14th and 16th. A whole pile of mediocre. Big time player Vancouver was 13th and 11th in the first two years of this decade, and in 1999-2000, they averaged a paltry 14,600 (less than Phoenix that year) and ranked 24th.

5. Nichols' claims of generating $80 million were in Canadian dollars, as you may recall we discussed and determined in an older thread on this topic.

6. While you pooh-pooh the subsidization of the Canadian teams due to a weak dollar, you do not credit the "strong revenues" that they are experiencing now to the impact of the vastly improved US dollar. You cannot have it both ways.

I think both situations contributed to the plight of small market Canada. Teams’ finances were brutalized by extreme currency fluctuations, on the order of 15-25+% over a multiple year period in a scenario with no cost certainty. That said, as you noted, the fact that certain teams were drawing poorly was a big factor as well. I don’t think I can completely buy into the arguments put forth that all the lack of success was due to small market Canada's inability to pay for talent. I can even cite that large revenue teams that had no spending constraints failed achieve on-ice success. ;)

The lesson: do not assume that it is a Canada/US thing. Canadian teams are doing well now, after a lckout starved a nation of hockey for a year. The Canadian teams are still reaping benefits of that pent-up demand, along with a superheated western economy. Neither of those conditions will last forever. IF the CDN dollar goes down, and the western economy cools down (as it must), you might be a little surprised who starts subsidizing who.

Good point. Canada does have the advantage in the ability of markets to rebound quickly, while some US markets ultimately may fail regardless of the CBA—or given enough time find a way to take a foothold. It’s too easy to lump everything in together.

Fugu

Didn't the currency equalization money come out of the pool of NHL league revenue, rather than individual NHL team revenue? Today's revenue sharing formula is a combination of those two pools.

I think this is correct.

Anyway, the NHL gets a much larger percentage of its league revenue from the Canadian market place than its 1/5th team share would suggest. In that sense NHL teams in the USA are subsidized by the Canadian market place. The percentage of such subsidization is set to rise as CBC signs a rumoured 10 year 1 billion dollar TV deal with the NHL for Canadian national broadcast rights to Saturday games and certain playoffs (revenues to be shared equally by all 30 teams).

It looks to me like the currency equalization plan was just a give back to certain Canadian teams of some of the league revenue sourced in Canada -- i.e., a higher percentage cut than a mere 1/30th.

GHOST

Do you know if the annualized amounts over the 10 year period are equal? I thought I saw something recently that put the annual amount at closer to $70 MM, but I don't recall the details.

hillbillypriest

Mar 20, 2002
there there
Visit site
Normally I'd say, "no" - but if you go read the comments on the Oilers board from June 2006 when word came out that Pronger wanted out, .... yeah, I think quite a few thousand dollars was spent by people on Pronger stuff just so they could trash it. The ability and desire of people to squander money doing something like this shouldn't be completely dismissed - while it's probably a drop in the bucket compared to their $26M in playoff revenue, I just find it laughable that people thought (and maybe still do) that would really hurt Pronger.

Hi IB, love all the stuff you do for us number challenged hockey fans. Thanks so much.

With regard to Pronger, people venting on message boards in no way translates to people buying stuff to destroy it or thinking that they were somehow hurting Pronger. I suppose people like that might exist, but how many fingers would you need to count them? Anyway, as an Edmonton fan, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't twist the stick into the wound. Losing Pronger in the circumstances of last summer obviously set off a pretty disasterous outcome for Edmonton fans, so I wish you wouldn't bring him up for no particular reason just to laugh at us.

Maybe I'm a bit too sensitive, I guess.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
What is the scenario where it is in the NHLPA’s interest to have a lower cap? As long as revenues are growing and outpacing escrow retention, a lower cap is hard to support. The conspiracy theorists will say Saskin was hedging since he perhaps misrepresented how the escrow plan would work. [Under investigation by the NHLPA]

Was Saskin really putting forward the best option for the players when he floated the lower cap band (as kdb explains above)?
Fugu said:
kdb, why do you think Saskin believed this was the correct thing to do?
I think the point that you (and some other posters in this thread) are missing is that even growing revenues (at or in excess of the 5% inflation factor) is not necessarily sufficient to avoid escrow.

The system is not designed for every/most teams to spent to or near the cap - it is designed so that the average team spends to the cap midpoint. If, as we are seeing this season, the vast majority (28 out of 30 teams) have projected final cap numbers over the midpoint (only the Caps and Pens are below the $36M midpoint) and a majority are at or near the cap (19 out of 30 are at $42M+), any realsitic revenue growth will be insufficient to avoid significant escrow.

Given that even in the face of robust revenue growth escrow givebacks will still be expected, it benefits the significant majority of NHLPA members who are under contract (and will see zero benefit in a cap increase) to lower the cap to preserve the value of their existing contracts.

Fugu

I think the point that you (and some other posters in this thread) are missing is that even growing revenues (at or in excess of the 5% inflation factor) is not necessarily sufficient to avoid escrow.

The system is not designed for every/most teams to spent to or near the cap - it is designed so that the average team spends to the cap midpoint. If, as we are seeing this season, the vast majority (28 out of 30 teams) have projected final cap numbers over the midpoint (only the Caps and Pens are below the $36M midpoint) and a majority are at or near the cap (19 out of 30 are at $42M+), any realsitic revenue growth will be insufficient to avoid significant escrow.

Given that even in the face of robust revenue growth escrow givebacks will still be expected, it benefits the significant majority of NHLPA members who are under contract (and will see zero benefit in a cap increase) to lower the cap to preserve the value of their existing contracts.

Trust me, I have not missed the point that the system is designed for spending at the midpoint. I think I was among the first wave to pick up on the fact that the majority of NHL teams would exceed the midpoint.

What I had not anticipated was the actual revenues coming in as far above projected revenues as they did, at least for the first year. Due to ticket price increases and the combined strength of the Canadian markets and the Canadian dollar, we may yet again see a year where projections are well enough below actual revenues such that the players will get checks instead of a forfeiture of their escrowed funds. Was this purposeful or purely serendipitous? I don't know, but we do know that last year the players received an additional 4% of their salaries from the NHL to bring up NHL spending to 54%. Furthermore, and this is fairly significant, if 06-07 revenues exceed $2.2 billion then the players share goes to 55%. The stepping up of the players' share of the pie as total NHL revenue increases beyond $2.1 billion alone can make up for some of the lack of what you call "robust" revenue growth.

Eventually things may equilibrate such that the system works as designed, with the average spending being somewhere closer to the midpoint than the cap maximum. What the total NHL revenues are that point will determine if players get 54% or something up to 57%.

Your contention that it is not in the players' interest to have the cap increase is not supportable over a longer period of time in the environment I just described.

Since players' salaries often are benchmarked against existing talent, and in a sense sets a floor for future salaries, players can accept that their aging contracts aren't keeping up but at some future point in time they will leapfrog to the front of the line. Again, the only players who may not benefit from this approach are the ones with the oldest (longest contracts). It is in their individual interest to have as fresh a contract as possible with as high a cap as possible. They are competing with each other in this system since they have to share the 54-57% of revenues amongst themselves.

You see, teams are spending more than they believed they would be or that they said they wanted to spend. There are myriad reasons for that which ultimately will lead to a need to re-do this CBA as well.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
What I had not anticipated was the actual revenues coming in as far above projected revenues as they did, at least for the first year. Due to ticket price increases and the combined strength of the Canadian markets and the Canadian dollar, we may yet again see a year where projections are well enough below actual revenues such that the players will get checks instead of a forfeiture of their escrowed funds. Was this purposeful or purely serendipitous? I don't know, but we do know that last year the players received an additional 4% of their salaries from the NHL to bring up NHL spending to 54%. Furthermore, and this is fairly significant, if 06-07 revenues exceed $2.2 billion then the players share goes to 55%. The stepping up of the players' share of the pie as total NHL revenue increases beyond $2.1 billion alone can make up for some of the lack of what you call "robust" revenue growth.
It is very unlikely that you will ever again see a situation like last season w.r.t. the cap and escrow. The league intentionally lo balled the revenue estimates - the hardcoded $39M cap / $21.5M floor specified in the CBA calculate out to a revenue estimate of ~$1.8B. The actual reported HRR for last season was $2.178B - 21% higher than the estimate. Barring an NFL style mega-TV deal, it is VERY unlikely the league will ever see 20+% year-over-year revenue growth.

On top of that, average team payrolls were closer to the midpoint last season than this season - more teams were below the midpoint (7 teams below the $30.25M midpoint) and fewer teams were at or near the cap (only 10 teams were within $2M of the $39M cap).

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Les than two seasons isn't a big enough dataset to confidently post what 'will' happen.

You see, teams are spending more than they believed they would be or that they said they wanted to spend. There are myriad reasons for that which ultimately will lead to a need to re-do this CBA as well.

However they are not being forced to do so at the expense of not being able to compete for players, ie the situation when it was 20m payrolls against 90m.

It looks to me that the teams are now assuming either large escrow payments or relief via revenue sharing and spending with that in mind. As long as the revenue sharing feature functions the CBA is fine. When it starts to fall short, then trouble will follow, but there's nothing to suggest that is happening now.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Kudos to those in this thread who seem to have a good understanding of the economics. Are there some full time economists here? I know I don't quite get the details, which is helpful when some people put the stuff into laymans terms.

I guess my question is, from what the thread posters are stating, in layman's terms, is Daly on the money with his statements, or is talking circles, or somewhere in between?

Fugu

Les than two seasons isn't a big enough dataset to confidently post what 'will' happen.

Then we’re both guilty as charged for drawing some early conclusions, or at least about conjecturing about what these could be. :)

However they are not being forced to do so at the expense of not being able to compete for players, ie the situation when it was 20m payrolls against 90m.

Recall that the goal of the cap with linkage was cost certainty. Daly himself states in the cited article starting this post that:

“Obviously we came from a position where too many of our franchises were not healthy and the collective bargaining agreement hasn't totally corrected that. Certainly it's provided a foundation on which our clubs can become healthy. That's the stage we're in now. Your labor costs are a significant part of your business in the sports industry, but it's not the totality of your business. So you still have generate revenues and run your business responsibly to be profitable.â€

The gap in spending that you mention was possible due to the gap in revenues. The current economic system is designed to firstly address the fact that the NHL as a whole wants to spend 54-57% of its revenue on player costs. One effect this may have is to lower spending to a level of the lower revenue teams. Of course a variable cap level does mean that this is easier to achieve when a cap is at $31 MM vs a cap at $50 MM, for example.

Once cost certainty was achieved, the need to grow revenues was the next requirement to return teams to financial health. However, what perhaps was not anticipated [mostly by fans] was just how high the cap could go within 2-3 years of the CBA taking effect. As you mention, revenue sharing is supposed to bolster the ability of lower revenue teams in some markets (lower market potential) to spend to the midpoint. They do not have to spend to the midpoint, but at least they would receive money to help their bottom line since there is a minimum that must be spent. Teams in markets with a lower revenue potential as determined by the DMA (<2.5 MM households in the viewing area) qualify for revenue sharing. There are still low revenue teams - as compared to the top group - who cannot qualify for revenue sharing. Certainly they are at disadvantage relative to the revenue sharing recipients. (Isles, Devils, & Ducks are the three I can think of…)

In addition to my explanations above, there are some aspects to the CBA that may be inflationary, which is why I said these may come under review in the future. These include:

*Arbitration

*The automatic 5% increase to the cap regardless of revenues

*Age of free agency. Lower revenue teams survived in the older days by being able to keep their better players longer. The cycle time is shortened overall for all teams, but is perhaps more harmful to lower revenue teams (in my opinion).

*Not all low revenue teams qualify for revenue sharing. (Low is a relative concept and perhaps highly dependent on exactly where the cap resides.)

It looks to me that the teams are now assuming either large escrow payments or relief via revenue sharing and spending with that in mind. As long as the revenue sharing feature functions the CBA is fine. When it starts to fall short, then trouble will follow, but there's nothing to suggest that is happening now.

As long as you keep my comments within the qualifying statements I used, I’ll do the same here. ;)

The difficulty is that each team has its own actual revenues and the percentages that $36 - $42 - $48 MM represent to total revenues of $55 MM vs $120 MM, for example, are different-- even if the overall average is 54% or 57% for all 30 teams combined. We can agree that the lowest revenue teams who qualify for revenue sharing get some relief, but there’s a middle group whose individual costs/revenues look quite different at the different cap levels.

Fugu

Kudos to those in this thread who seem to have a good understanding of the economics. Are there some full time economists here? I know I don't quite get the details, which is helpful when some people put the stuff into laymans terms.

I guess my question is, from what the thread posters are stating, in layman's terms, is Daly on the money with his statements, or is talking circles, or somewhere in between?

I'll use Daly's quote again below, but I think he's being factual in the general explanations he provides. He says a foundation for health has been provided and thus teams have the first requirement for health in place. He does say we're not there yet. He then explains what else is needed. If the system helps teams stabilize then we can judge further.

“Obviously we came from a position where too many of our franchises were not healthy and the collective bargaining agreement hasn't totally corrected that. Certainly it's provided a foundation on which our clubs can become healthy. That's the stage we're in now. Your labor costs are a significant part of your business in the sports industry, but it's not the totality of your business. So you still have generate revenues and run your business responsibly to be profitable.”

Fugu

It is very unlikely that you will ever again see a situation like last season w.r.t. the cap and escrow. The league intentionally lo balled the revenue estimates - the hardcoded $39M cap / $21.5M floor specified in the CBA calculate out to a revenue estimate of ~$1.8B.

I know the league was being conservative, and perhaps rightly so. Locking down the league for an entire year could have had many effects on revenue. Thus forecasting on the high side - or even at pre-lockout levels - THEN not achieving that level could’ve been disastrous from a PR perspective.

I think I found the second year more surprising, although having the year immediately following the lockout come in at a level higher than Levitt reported even with the loss of some TV money was… interesting.

The actual reported HRR for last season was $2.178B - 21% higher than the estimate. Barring an NFL style mega-TV deal, it is VERY unlikely the league will ever see 20+% year-over-year revenue growth.

I’m not certain I understand your 20+% figure. The reported HRR of $2.17 B was actual revenue, and thus not growth over the previous year. It does however show that actual vs. projected revenue was 21% higher. No revenue growth was involved here. I think you're saying the year is an anomaly due to the overly low forecast, but just wanted to be certain.

On top of that, average team payrolls were closer to the midpoint last season than this season - more teams were below the midpoint (7 teams below the $30.25M midpoint) and fewer teams were at or near the cap (only 10 teams were within $2M of the $39M cap).

My point is that increases of 1% to the players' share each time NHL revenues pass certain points can be a lot of money in and of itself, exceeding the gains from revenue growth alone if the linkage amount were constant. For example:

At $2.1 B, the player share is 54% -- or $1.13 B
--$2.2 B, the player share is 55% -- or $1.21 B.
--$2.4 B, the player share is 56% -- or $1.344 B
--$2.6 B, the player share is 56.67%- or $1.473 B
--$2.7+ B, the player share is 57% -- or $1.539 B

Each step represents increases of what is owed players, on a year-to-year basis, of 6.7%, 11.07%, 9.63%, and 4.45%. Relative to the first point ($2.1 B at 54%), the players share of the revenues grows by 6.7%, 18.52 %, 29.93%, and 35.71%.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
I’m not certain I understand your 20+% figure. The reported HRR of $2.17 B was actual revenue, and thus not growth over the previous year. It does however show that actual vs. projected revenue was 21% higher. No revenue growth was involved here. I think you're saying the year is an anomaly due to the overly low forecast, but just wanted to be certain.
Correct - there was an effective 20% jump from the revenue number used to set the (artificially low) cap and the real final HRR. That is the only reason that the players got money back from escrow (and then some). If the cap had been set at a more realistic value (admittedly harder to set coming off of the lockout), then the players would still have lost money through escrow.

That situation (a 20+% delta between the revenue number used to set the cap and the final actual HRR) is very unlikely to ever happen again, since the cap number will be based on real revenues, and will thus require a 20+% jump in real revenues to see a similar situation.

Given that, and the fact that the owners are showing significantly higher spending w.r.t. the cap midpoint than they did last season (and there are no indications that the owners as a whole will not continue to do so), it seems likely that escrow givebacks will be a continuing reality for the remainder of this CBA.

GSC2k2*

My point is that increases of 1% to the players' share each time NHL revenues pass certain points can be a lot of money in and of itself, exceeding the gains from revenue growth alone if the linkage amount were constant.

Fugu, perhaps I am missing what you are saying, but it appears you suggest that the 1% share increase amounts to more dollars in the players' pot than the dollars garnered from the revenue increase.

That is incorrect.

In your example, the revenue increase on a stand-alone basis accounts for $54 million. The 1% increase accounts for $22 million. I do not have time to do the rest of the examples, but the principle holds true. Even using the last example, the % share increases accounts for only $81 million of the player share dollar increase. The other $320 million comes from revenue increases. It is not immaterial, but it is by far the smaller percentage of the player gains.

GSC2k2*

I think I found the second year more surprising, although having the year immediately following the lockout come in at a level higher than Levitt reported even with the loss of some TV money was… interesting.

Levitt's report was of the 2002-03 season, fugu. They had an intervening operating year (2003-04) where growth brought them up to a bit under $2.2 billion in revenue (about 8 or 9 percent growth from 2002-03), which is where they wound up in 2005-06 post-lockout. Essentially, the lockout resulted in flat revenue year-over-year. There is nothing "interesting" about that. The Levitt report is thus further validated. There are harpies out there who we both know continue to rant about the Levitt Report being incorrect. They are discredited by history. I hope that the "interesting" comment does not show you to be among that motley band.

Incidentally, the national TV money loss was 1.8% of revenue, assuming revenue from NBC was zero and that it was strictly OLN money.

Fugu

Fugu, perhaps I am missing what you are saying, but it appears you suggest that the 1% share increase amounts to more dollars in the players' pot than the dollars garnered from the revenue increase.

That is incorrect.

In your example, the revenue increase on a stand-alone basis accounts for $54 million. The 1% increase accounts for $22 million. I do not have time to do the rest of the examples, but the principle holds true. Even using the last example, the % share increases accounts for only $81 million of the player share dollar increase. The other $320 million comes from revenue increases. It is not immaterial, but it is by far the smaller percentage of the player gains.

Perhaps I was unclear. If revenues increase, not only is the pie itself increasing, but the players' cut of the pie increases as well.

If linkage is at a constant level, and revenues go up by 10%, then the players only get a 10% increase to their pot.

However, if linkage goes from 54% to 55- or 56%, that represents the increase in revenues itself (of 9 & 8% respectively from $2.2B to $2.4-2.6 B) PLUS the 1-2% increase due to linkage. The players' share of the overall pie is growing as the pie itself grows.

As far as escrow goes, it provides the players with a little more room for team overspending (how much though is a numbers exercise I'll leave until later when I can't stand the curiosity any longer). :)

Fugu

Levitt's report was of the 2002-03 season, fugu. They had an intervening operating year (2003-04) where growth brought them up to a bit under $2.2 billion in revenue (about 8 or 9 percent growth from 2002-03), which is where they wound up in 2005-06 post-lockout. Essentially, the lockout resulted in flat revenue year-over-year. There is nothing "interesting" about that. The Levitt report is thus further validated. There are harpies out there who we both know continue to rant about the Levitt Report being incorrect. They are discredited by history. I hope that the "interesting" comment does not show you to be among that motley band.

Incidentally, the national TV money loss was 1.8% of revenue, assuming revenue from NBC was zero and that it was strictly OLN money.

Lest I appear to be part of the 'motley band of harpies', I'd better tread carefully... :)

I suppose what I found interesting was that - as you point out - actual 03-04 revenues were $2.2 B. Post-lockout the projection was set $400 MM below this level. Like I said, it was much wiser to go for a lower number due to both the uncertainty the lockout brought about and the potential for negative publicity IF the projected level was not achieved.

GC- weren't the Levitt numbers adjusted for the year you cite (02-03) to accurately reflect all the revenue sources the parties agreed to use for the new CBA? (apples to apples comparison)

Secondly, do you recall what the revenues from ESPN and NBC were in the final year of those agreements? Presenting the information as a percentage of total current revenues doesn't allow a comparison of the total losses or gains from individual revenue streams.

Fugu

Given that, and the fact that the owners are showing significantly higher spending w.r.t. the cap midpoint than they did last season (and there are no indications that the owners as a whole will not continue to do so), it seems likely that escrow givebacks will be a continuing reality for the remainder of this CBA.

I honestly do not know which way owners will go as the cap increases. Several teams exceeded their anticipated budgets last year - at least from what was stated publicly as their targets for spending. These include the Ducks, Sabres, Flames, and even Canucks (thanks to Bobby Clarke). I think only the Caps managed to stay close to the floor which was their intent all along. Would an increase in the cap to $50 MM force a few more teams to keep closer to the midpoint? I don't know really, to be honest.

GSC2k2*

Lest I appear to be part of the 'motley band of harpies', I'd better tread carefully... :)

Noted. ;)

I suppose what I found interesting was that - as you point out - actual 03-04 revenues were $2.2 B. Post-lockout the projection was set $400 MM below this level. Like I said, it was much wiser to go for a lower number due to both the uncertainty the lockout brought about and the potential for negative publicity IF the projected level was not achieved.

And noted also. Were I in the negotiating room for the NHL, I would have wheeled out the MLB example and negotiated off whatever revenue reduction they suffered, while at the same time pointing out that it would be in the PA's best interest perception-wsie for the PA to have their players getting cheques at the end of year 1 rather than the NHL keeping their money. It looks like they were in the 20-25% range as far as the negotiated end result shows.

GC- weren't the Levitt numbers adjusted for the year you cite (02-03) to accurately reflect all the revenue sources the parties agreed to use for the new CBA? (apples to apples comparison)

I don't think the Levitt Report was ever re-calculated and re-issued, if that's what you mean. There would not be much point in it, since the numbers going forward are all that matters at this point.

Secondly, do you recall what the revenues from ESPN and NBC were in the final year of those agreements? Presenting the information as a percentage of total current revenues doesn't allow a comparison of the total losses or gains from individual revenue streams.

They are here. http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/NHL-Business/nhl-broadcast.htm

When you say "NBC", I assume you mean ABC? The hit was $42.5 million, assuming the ABC/ESPN and VS deals are evenly distributed in their respective terms of payment (which might very well be an incorrect assumption).

Wetcoaster

It is very unlikely that you will ever again see a situation like last season w.r.t. the cap and escrow. The league intentionally lo balled the revenue estimates
I am not sure it was low-ball as much as trying to make revenues accord with the claims made during the lockout and in the Levitt work of fiction. It would not have looked very good if the real figures were put out after so much spin doctoring went on for 18 months by the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad