Speculation: Bilingual Coach candidates Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I wasn't refering to him as uneducated, I actually don't know much about him. I would also give him the benefit of the doubt if he's hired anyway.

I just really don't like the idea of Gorton hiring one of his friends for the main job. It looks like the easy hiring. Bergevin received well deserved criticism for doing the exact same thing in his hirings.

There's plenty of competent people in the hockey world. And the best man for the job just happen to be his friend? I simply cannot buy that. It's once again the old boys club giving each others jobs based on friendship and connections. And it makes accountability a lot more difficult.

I wish they hired someone who thinks differently, instead of someone who's very likely to think like them.
Someone who thinks differently..........maybe like a player agent?
The NHL is a small circle, and a ton of what guys do, is foster relationships with people they deal with. The key here, is to make sure they are competent....Gorton has had a ton of success with the Bruins and Rangers.....let's hope it continues with the Habs.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
What I get from that is that the CH probably asked him not to spoil the surprise, which would be fair enough I think all of us want to know about it in a official press conference.
He was just there to speak about Kent Hughes and he accept the interview before declining late last night. He was rumours to be a candidate as AGM if Hughes had the job so who knows

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Someone who thinks differently..........maybe like a player agent?
The NHL is a small circle, and a ton of what guys do, is foster relationships with people they deal with. The key here, is to make sure they are competent....Gorton has had a ton of success with the Bruins and Rangers.....let's hope it continues with the Habs.

I’m an old ass guy and even I don’t want any more of the old boys revolving door. It’s time for fresh ideas and what’s the worse that can happen? Suck or be stuck in a wheel of mediocrity? So pretty much the status quo for the past couple decades.

Hughes is a newbie, and not experienced but if there’s one thing we know he’s well experienced in is negotiations, particularly player contracts. He’s had years of negotiations with players AND general managers.

Sure, he lacks experience in hockey OPs, but that’s why we hired one of the best in Gorton.

Guys like Brisebois didn’t come from a hockey background either and I think he’s doing ok.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Actually, yes, Bergevin was widely considered as a hotshot candidate at th time. And LOL. Brisebois spent decades as an assistant GM? You realize he never was, yes?

You keep doing this. You keep spouting shit without looking it up. Just quit while you're behind.

And I'll never defend that shit hire that was Michel Therrien.

Brisebois was assistant-GM in 2010 with the Lighting and he got the jobs in 2018....okay, it's not decades it'S 8 freaking years, we're far from the 6 months of Bergevin. Very far.

And Bergevin never was considered as a hot shot candidates by anyone other than Montreal, it was his first interviewed.

And Therrien was hire because he spoke french, not because he was the best candidates.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Euh, no, he wasn't? Therrien was on thin ice with a Price that was rumored to be revolting. This was on a team that was in the midst of a second seasonal collapse in a row. Julien had gotten fired in Boston and Montreal pounced on him within days with a huge contract.
Price must be James Bond. He have an coach ejectable seat when he wants. There is a riot to eject a coach in the locker room? if Price is agree, the coach is eject, lol. I say that as a joke but maybe one day we'll learn that it's true.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Jim Montgomery as our next Head coach? He been a prolific coach for U. Of Denver. 42w-32 first season in dallas. 17w-11 the second one. He is now assitant coach in St-louis and they are doing well. Im wondering if he could be a strong candidate for next year
I've just learn that Kent Hughes was Jim Montgomery agent and they are good friends

Reactions: Hins77

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I read through the last few pages.

Some people in the media need to be reminded that Hughes is quebecois. So there should be no controversy
If the medias complain that Hughes is not a "quebecois pure laine", you can count on me to flaberblast them where ever I can. I'll try to have a line at 98,5 and tell my opinion about that. I'll try to stay polite and articulate but I can't promess anything.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I understand that you're not a Math major (or a Sociology one based on your previous posts) but if you think ethnicity primarily leads the decisions of a billion-dollar corporation in an extremely competitive field, I'll just say you should probably log off.
Thanks tips.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Well, I was wrong about Rejean Tremblay, on his segment this morning he didn’t even complaint about Hughes language (yet) .
He just predictably whined about the fact that journalist can’t travel with the team.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I was waiting for you to mention CJAD. You use the same tactic whenever an offensively spewing franco is involved. You can hide your head in the sand with a diversionary tit for tat tactic. I’m not biting. Deal with what’s in front of you in the now.
Well, you should write about CJAD sometimes. They are important for me like a ant is important when I walk on the street. But you were talking about DeFoy and his anti-anglo whinning. Today I copy-paste his latest paper on JDM and he talks about Gorton, the unilingual anglo. Do you see negative comments about Gorton?
Bon moment pour reconstruire
Where do you see his xenophobic obsession about Gorton?
Maybe in a next paper but not in that link.
Relax dude, you blow up things out of proportions. This is just hockey, it's entertainment! :D

Reactions: Andy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
While experience and years of service must be valued, I don't believe it should be viewed as the most important criteria. Actually it's not, or else every GM would be over 80 years old.

I prefer someone with a diverse background over someone who spent 20 years doing the same thing. I prefer someone who has experience and education in connected fields, over someone who slowly climbed the ladder simply by being there and knowing the right people. I prefer someone with fresh ideas who can open new doors and think differently, over someone who's valued for being part of a very conservative way of thinking that's defining the NHL.

Now I don't care about the skin color, country of origin or gender. But maybe after 100 years of hiring only white anglo saxon protestant men, it's about time people in charge stop caring about that too, open their mind and consider what the rest of the world has to offer.
If it helps any Habs have only hired white francophone Catholics for last 40-years ..

Reactions: KotkaZuki

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Beaudoin reiterates that Hughes is the next GM. All that is left is for the contract to be signed. He also says Gorton will rejoin the team in Dallas today. He guesses that it could be that he will announce it to the team first before they make the official announcement.

He also says he'd be flabbergasted if if they don't announce it by tomorrow.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
While experience and years of service must be valued, I don't believe it should be viewed as the most important criteria. Actually it's not, or else every GM would be over 80 years old.

I prefer someone with a diverse background over someone who spent 20 years doing the same thing. I prefer someone who has experience and education in connected fields, over someone who slowly climbed the ladder simply by being there and knowing the right people. I prefer someone with fresh ideas who can open new doors and think differently, over someone who's valued for being part of a very conservative way of thinking that's defining the NHL.

Now I don't care about the skin color, country of origin or gender. But maybe after 100 years of hiring only white anglo saxon protestant men, it's about time people in charge stop caring about that too, open their mind and consider what the rest of the world has to offer.

I think you grossly overestimate how diverse hockey is as a whole. If you are really intent on diversity of backgrounds in hockey (which I agree with) you have to start at the grass-roots level with several programs aimed at children. The main issue is accessibility since many families are who either new immigrants, less wealthy and/or from less-affluent neighbourhoods, are unable to afford the costs of equipment, rink availability, travel, etc. (This is not to mention the racism/sexism that already exists within the sport) Make hockey free and the diversity will come within 10-20 years.

As for the new GM, again I will say that equal opportunity is essential and have people from different background that make up your team (not just one position) has a huge positive impact. That said, you just don’t place value one candidate over another based on race, sex, religion, etc. I also find it interesting that you complain about the Habs not hiring Castonguay since she is a woman even though they interviewed 2-3 women. But you did not show any outrage for the fact that they did not even have one POC or non-Christian at all which is probably even more egregious.

Fact is, when you restrict your search to your own (not super diverse) backyard, you miss out on many other people like Kevin Weekes, Cammi Granato, David Nemirovsky, Brett Peterson, Florence Schelling, etc.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Well I hope their colleagues call them out for their ignorance because that’s unacceptable

Its amazing how a relatively progressive society in Quebec is, but yet so conservative about their language. It seems to be the only market in the world where the candidates for coach/GM aren’t picked by skills & ability first.

Im all for preserving French language, culture/identity. But one has to be able to separate that from picking the best hockey minds though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad