Biggest Upsets in College Hockey History

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
With the NCAA Basketball tournament in full swing, this is when we hear a lot about upsets, underdogs, Cinderella, etc.

College hockey's tournament to crown the Frozen Four may not have the same type of format and weight (16 teams instead of 64), but given how college hockey has been crowning champions since 1948, there has to be a memorable upset or two.

What are the college hockey equivalents of, say, UMBC-Virginia or Islanders/Pens 1993?

Thedogo

Dogs are superior to humans in every way
Mar 16, 2019
Chicago's south side
This might not count but I'm going to say it anyways. The Miracle on Ice 20 college guys beating the best team in the world could be the biggest upset involving college hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Tonight. Holy Cross wasn't even a 16 seed against the Gophers. They were a solid team.

AIC has never even had a season above 500 before let alone an NCAA appearance and win. SCSU had one of the highest winning percentages ever this year.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
"Biggest Upset" would be a stretch on that one, but AI certainly proved they belong in the tourney. Wait for them to advance before elevating them to historic status.
Advancing has nothing to do with an upset.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
This might not count but I'm going to say it anyways. The Miracle on Ice 20 college guys beating the best team in the world could be the biggest upset involving college hockey.
Mostly Gophers that decided to win a gold medal instead of a back to back national championship. Allowed UND to win a title while changing hockey in the US forever.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Tonight. Holy Cross wasn't even a 16 seed against the Gophers. They were a solid team.

AIC has never even had a season above 500 before let alone an NCAA appearance and win. SCSU had one of the highest winning percentages ever this year.
For a team the legitimately was the worst team in college hockey several years, this is a huge win.

Thedogo

Dogs are superior to humans in every way
Mar 16, 2019
Chicago's south side
One just happened yesterday day. AIC making their first appearance in the national tournament in the 16th seed beat number 1 overall St. Cloud State:eek:

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
AIC is college hockey’s UMBC Wow Goes to show you what hot goaltending and some puck luck can do for you Especially in a single elimination tournament like this one

Reactions: Thedogo

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Advancing has nothing to do with an upset.
Point taken. But I'm still not ready to credit a "Biggest Upset" to a first round NCAA tournament win by a team who were on a roll coming out of their conference season & tourney vs. a team who was reeling from a 2nd-place finish in their own conference post-season play.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Point taken. But I'm still not ready to credit a "Biggest Upset" to a first round NCAA tournament win by a team who were on a roll coming out of their conference season & tourney vs. a team who was reeling from a 2nd-place finish in their own conference post-season play.
AIC is from the worst conference in the country. SCSU dominated the best conference in the country. Their loss in the conference championship was their first lost since January and to the number two overall seed in the nation and reigning national champion lol....

Maybe your opinion will change today when the fourth place team from Cloud's conference curb stomps the team that upset them in the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
RIT was my favorite NCAA tourney one because they got to the Frozen Four. It was only a few years after being a DIII school. If I'm SCSU, I'd ask to pass playing an Atlantic Hockey school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad