Biggest upset in the first round?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Is any series really an upset aside from a Nashville over Chicago or Toronto over Washington?

I think it's pretty wide open this year. I have New York over Montreal and seemingly most don't so I guess I'll say that.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Other than Caps - Leafs I'm not sure any other series would qualify as a "big" upset. Maybe if the Sens beat the Bruins given how many injuries Ottawa has had down the stretch, but it seems they're getting pretty much everyone back and the Bruins have their own injury issues on defense. Most even opening round overall I can remember.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
There are a few series as being viewed as lopsided

which series is primed for being an upset?

for me the Sharks are not going to be the push over many think. I have done two playoff drafts in both drafts no one took sharks

I don't know of anyone/anywhere that's looking at that series as lopsided in any way, especially in favor of the Sharks. No, the Oilers moving on would not be an upset.

Leafs
Blue Jackets
Flames

Would be the only meaningful upsets imo.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Would SJ winning really be an upset, let alone the biggest? They've got a lot of experience that i think will help them.

The more i look at these series the more i think you may see Nashville upset Chicago. Nashville's underlying numbers look better than their record would have you believe. But then again Chicago has that x-factor and may just blow through them anyway.

And of course Columbus has a chance to knock out Pittsburgh, but i wouldn't consider that a huge upset. Cbus is a 50 win team.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I believe Nashville will win over Chicago and create what will be perceived as a major upset.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I think the Leafs/Capitals are a lot closer than people think (still definitely calling Washington), but like a few have said, what's still viewed as an upset here? I personally don't think the Rangers or Senators are very good, I'd consider it an upset if they won. I don't think most would. If you wanna call the Sharks beating the Oilers or the Predators beating the Blackhawks an upset... sure, I guess? I actually have the Sharks winning, and I have the Preds/Blackhawks going seven. I don't know if either of those results would be terribly shocking to anyone. This is a particularly even year, even in the context of the league's general rise in parity over the last decade.

tl;dr - the only thing that I think I and most people would agree is an upset is Leafs over Capitals, and I give the Leafs better odds than most but still think they lose.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Nothing would come close to the Leafs beating the Caps. If we pull that off we can go all the way.

ehh.... I don't love the Blue Jackets, and missing Letang (and the general injuries) hurts the Penguins a TON, so if they could get by the Caps, I could see them going to round three, but they'd need a lot of luck to get by the Habs or Bruins, I think, and I don't really see a team coming out of the west that wouldn't crush them.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The only upset that would be considered a true upset would be the Leafs winning over the Caps imo.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Leafs over the Caps
Flames over the Ducks

If I had to bet on one it would be the Flames(I'm an Oilers fan who despises the Phlegms for the record)

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I don't know of anyone/anywhere that's looking at that series as lopsided in any way, especially in favor of the Sharks. No, the Oilers moving on would not be an upset.

Leafs
Blue Jackets
Flames

Are the Flames an upset? I think a lot of people see the Flames are really good, pretty solid analytic numbers, not *that* far below the Ducks in terms of standings points, only one fewer win, and two fewer ROW, and considering they've got a lot of younger guys, had some injuries, and changes coaches, I think a lot of people see them as a team that came on late after figuring it out than a 94 point team that squeaked in.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Is any series really an upset aside from a Nashville over Chicago or Toronto over Washington?

I think it's pretty wide open this year. I have New York over Montreal and seemingly most don't so I guess I'll say that.

This is pretty much my exact answer as well. lol

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Are the Flames an upset? I think a lot of people see the Flames are really good, pretty solid analytic numbers, not *that* far below the Ducks in terms of standings points, only one fewer win, and two fewer ROW, and considering they've got a lot of younger guys, had some injuries, and changes coaches, I think a lot of people see them as a team that came on late after figuring it out than a 94 point team that squeaked in.

Swap the Ducks with any other team and give them the exact same numbers and I'd totally agree but the Ducks are the Flames kryptonite.

The Flames need to win one of the first two games or it's over.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Leafs
Blue Jackets
Flames

The Blue Jackets were in the running to finish ahead of the Pens until the last 2 games of the season. I wouldn't call it much of an upset if they win, especially since Letang is out.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Swap the Ducks with any other team and give them the exact same numbers and I'd totally agree but the Ducks are the Flames kryptonite.

The Flames need to win one of the first two games or it's over.

eh, I'm not huge on the matchup thing. Like, it matters, but it's hard for us to ever judge it. In a single season, nobody plays each other enough for it to be all that representative of anything, and teams change so much year to year. Both teams are on a new coach. The Leafs were perfect against Boston this year. I don't think anyone would see them as favorites if they somehow met in the ECF. But, maybe you've noticed something specific outside the record, since I'll assume you watched all their games against each other this year, and I can't be certain I saw them head to head once.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Sharks beating the Oilers is furthest from an upset in these playoffs. Just cause a bunch of Canadian media pick the Oilers means absolutely nothing. The only real upset would be Toronto over Washington. Every other series is pretty even imo.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
eh, I'm not huge on the matchup thing. Like, it matters, but it's hard for us to ever judge it. In a single season, nobody plays each other enough for it to be all that representative of anything, and teams change so much year to year. Both teams are on a new coach. The Leafs were perfect against Boston this year. I don't think anyone would see them as favorites if they somehow met in the ECF. But, maybe you've noticed something specific outside the record, since I'll assume you watched all their games against each other this year, and I can't be certain I saw them head to head once.

Hard to judge it!? They haven't won in their barn in over 10 years! And the Ducks have home ice. It's absolutely a factor in the matchup.

The Flames beat the Ducks in the regular season but this is in no way an even matchup, given their history. I would not be surprised to see the Flames win the series, but the consensus is that the Ducks are rather heavy favorites making a Flames win an upset.

GreatEight

Mar 29, 2017
True upset would be Toronto over Washington although I would be surprised to see Nashville take out Chicago in the opening round.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
IMO the only first round upsets would be Toronto beating Washington and Calgary beating Anaheim. To a lesser extent (but most realistic) is Nashville beating Chicago.

Edmonton should be in no way the favourite in their series. If anything I give an edge to last year's Stanley Cup finalists over a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in like 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad