Aug 25, 2003
People that could do three of the following at a relatively high level:

Sing
Act
Dance
Model
Produce/Direct
Play a musical instrument

I think Asian entertainment has a comparatively higher relative amount of celebrities that would qualify (in the 90s it seemed like almost every major Asian star could do at least three of these things), but Hollywood certainly has its share.

Who comes to your mind?

Jennifer Lopez
Neil Patrick Harris
Hugh Jackman
Jared Leto
Ryan Gosling
Frank Sinatra
Barbara Streisand
etc.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Paul Robeson
Sammy Davis, Jr.
Gene Kelly
David Bowie
Yves Montand

Reactions: Cloned

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Cynthia Erivo really stands out to me right now. She's gaining an excellent reputation as an actor in both movies and TV, is an exceptional singer, and is also a fitness beast as well. I think she has a dance background and she's always running marathons. She has considerable muscle as well.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Justin Timberlake-Not a bad dancer.
Rick Springfield-Sing/act/guitar.
Johnny Cash-Produced a Gospel picture.
John Travolta-Had some singing success with Grease. Danced in Saturday Night Fever/Staying Alive.
Elvis Presley-In as much as he produced and arranged most of his music.

My Best-Carey

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Paul Robeson
Sammy Davis, Jr.
Gene Kelly
David Bowie
Yves Montand

Man, Yves Montand had a great voice. I wanted to listen to Autumn Leaves on youtube, and that was how I discovered what a great singer he was.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Yea. How is this thread not all Donald Glover/Childish Gambino?

Primetime Emmy
Golden Globe
Multiple Grammys

Glover is definitely one of the first names I think of as well.

Among rising stars in Hollywood, Zendaya seems to be someone who's finding success in all areas. Ansol Elgort is another rising star, more on the acting front, but scored the lead on Spielbergs West Side Story remake, so I'm assuming he's capable at the singing and dancing to get that part.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don't know about his dancing or instrument playing ability but Donald Glover comes to mind.
This was the first thing I thought of. He does everything. He does everything at an amazingly high level.

Reactions: HanSolo

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kind of want to push the criteria further towards people who were more than just technically competent at numerous things, but that actually contributed at a high level and left a large imprint on legitimately culturally noteworthy things in more than one area (which is probably more rare).

The Asian pop-star Faye Wong comes to mind.

As a singer, she was arguably an international superstar regularly selling out huge venues during the 90s, with legitimate high end vocal ability (heavily inspired by the Cranberries and Cocteau Twins), writing an actual solid dream-pop album, "Restless" (which in my opinion, pretty much never happens with generic Croonie Hong Kong pop music that usually feels very assembly line), and being the vocalist for what was the best selling piece of videogame music at one point (Eyes on Me, from Final Fantasy VIII).

As a first time actress, she put in a legitimately fantastic and memorable performance (arguably outshining two far more experienced and great actors/actresses in Tony Leung and Bridgette Lin) in a brilliant/influential film that legitimately doesn't feel out of place in best of all time lists, Chungking Express. In my opinion, she pulled off the "manic pixie dreamgirl" thing significantly better than pretty much anybody else ever has.

As mentioned, there are tons of Asian idol figures who sing, dance, and act, but they're usually famous for only one thing (often something that they're not even all that great at) and just happen to try a bit of everything else on the side (getting formal training so that they don't seem terrible at it) and are successful at it only because of their celebrity status. They're rarely actually great at all of these things.

Donald Glover would be the other one I can think of who wasn't just solid, but actually made significant noise in more than one area, although personally, I don't find Childish Gambino all that noteworthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Nick Cannon is an American actor, comedian, rapper, director, writer, producer, and television host.
Patrick Wayne Swayze was an American actor, dancer, singer, and songwriter.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Madonna as well.

Funny story. My 3 year old daughter loves that video. She thinks its funny and she tries to dance like he does. Anyways, the other day she was trying to tell me what she wanted to watch. After a bit of trouble understanding what she was asking for, I finally realize what she wants and say "Oh, the Christopher Walken video." She looks at me like I'm an idiot and says, "No daddy, not Christopher Walking, Christopher dancing!" I started dying laughing.

Reactions: Mescaleroman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad