Biggest Training Camp Surprise

What is your biggest training camp surprise?

• Krebs kept at center

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Team carrying three goaltenders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
What is your biggest surprise from what you thought would happen? (Think back to the start of training camp)

I think there will be a run away favorite in the poll so please rank your surprises in a post too.

Last edited:

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
The fact that on a team that missed the playoffs nobody aside from 2 rookies showed figh and thw hunger to prove tvat this season will be the one to get finally in. Or the fact that they barely showed any improvement in playing a better team defense.

Will be interesting to sew if they can just easily flip the switch like many here are saying and go from being barely engaged to full blown playoff contenders when the seson starts.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA

Jokiharju still paired with Power​

-As someone who has been very critical of Joki, he had a pretty good camp and hasn't look bad with Power. Not the ideal long term pairing but that doesn't surprise me

Krebs kept at center​

-Krebs is better at Center than on the wing so this doesn't surprise me

Dahlin on the left separated from Sammy​

-its been reported through out camp Granato likes Clifton with Dahlin (for some reason) but doesnt surprise me.

Team carrying three goaltenders​

-Hate it but not surprised by it.

Benson makes team​

-Benson had a great camp and deserved to make the roster. No surprise here.

Kulich didn't make team​

-Kulich didn't do enough or stick out at all during camp. This make sense.

Bryson not getting waived surprised me.. I know it for the #7 spot so I am not outraged over this decision but Stillman made the most sense to be the #7 guy. You gave up a solid 2-way center prospect who you draft in the 3rd round for him, makes last than Bryson and IMO outplayed Bryson. I just don't see what Bryson brings to make him more valuable but.... In Donny I Trust.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Most of these options are incredibly depressing. A team as close as they were with all the assets and among, again, the most cap space in the league…and the same holes are still here.

But I can’t say it’s a surprise. Not when you’ve followed Adams past off-seasons. He, simply, doesn’t fix things.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Benson making the team is the biggest surprise, hands down. I thought he'd get a preseason game or two just to show him what it's kinda like......but dude legit earned a spot. Shocked me.

The defensive pairings overall is my 2nd biggest surprise. I thought we'd keep Sammy with Dahlin and that we'd give OP one of the veteran defense-first guys we brought in.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't any of them are a surprise to be honest. Once Quinn went down, I thought Savoie would get a look and then sent back or sent for conditioning and then back. Savoie got hurt and Benson played well. I think a big one for me was Rousek had a golden opportunity and it seemed he couldn't get it going.

Reactions: Jacob582

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
It’s goddamn Bryson!!!

I had benson getting a tryout, krebs staying at center, no Kulich.

I was wrong on Johnson with power, Dahlin separated from Sammy.

I had no idea on 3 goalies, but was hoping not

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
My expectations before traing camp started:

Benson
I didn't think Benson would be on the team. I thought too many forwards for him to leap frog.

Bryson
I am surprised that they waived Stillman

Goalies
I thought it was possible they keep three. But unlikely

Dahlin on the left
I expected this since Granato spoke about this during the summer. I actually thought Jokiharju would be paired with him.

Krebs at center
I expected him to stay with Okposo and Girgensons

Power with Jokiharju
I thought Clifton would be with Power. I expected them to pair LD with RD to start.

Other
I was thinking that Biro would at least be a candidate to earn a NHL roster spot. I thought Rousek would show better.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I knew the high belief in benson.
I also knew how many teams passed on him
I had zero expectations that he would make team out of camp.

Mid season call-up yes but not out of training camp.
For the record also did not believe Levi would play so good at end of season last year

We will see how Benson and Levi handle the NHL season. Unbelievable stories

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I knew the high belief in benson.
I also knew how many teams passed on him
I had zero expectations that he would make team out of camp.

Mid season call-up yes but not out of training camp.
For the record also did not believe Levi would play so good at end of season last year

We will see how Benson and Levi handle the NHL season. Unbelievable stories
Benson wouldn't have been able to be called up if they sent him back to Jr

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You can do an emergency call up from juniors

Only if they had a catastrophic number of injuries - a third emergency recall would have to be made to recall the player and then it is only for the time until the other players return from IR.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pleasantly surprised by Benson's showing but most surprised by Jokiharju with Power. *shrug*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad