Biggest snub '06 Canada. Staal, Savard, Crosby or Spezza

Biggest snub

• Total voters

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
That was Crosby's rookie season right? One could argue he was unproven but he still had 102 points that season.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
That was Crosby's rookie season right? One could argue he was unproven but he still had 102 points that season.

You think they could have made him the 13th forward to give him a chance to earn a place on one of the 4 lines. He might have shaken up the complacency that plagued that team.

Reactions: Flair Hay

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
They all should’ve made the team. Crosby was the most obvious choice, they messed up by snubbing him.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
At the time I remember thinking probably Staal, I believe he and Spezza were both top 5 in league scoring when the team was announced though. In hindsight its Crosby because of the way he turned it on the 2nd half of the year and then well.. became the dominant player he has been ever since, but at the time of the actual announcement to me its still Staal. The guy put up 100 that year and then led the playoffs in scoring to win the cup.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It has to be Crosby.

It was also Ovechkin's rookie season in the NHL and at least he made the Russian team that year.

huh? The difference is that Canada always has a much more competitive pool to select from.

Crosby only played 30 games into the season it's understandable they didn't pick him.

Reactions: AnimalFear

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Team Canada never takes players like Spezza and Savard and wouldn't have taken either even if the team was picked after the season, so it really comes down to Staal or Crosby. Sid wasn't really among the leaders at the point the team was taken but ultimately I think his talent was undeniable and if the management team was smart they should have known what they had in him and the type of energy a young player like him would bring to the team.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
people forget that kris draper was selected to the 2006 olympic team and played in every game for Canada

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
At the time I remember thinking probably Staal, I believe he and Spezza were both top 5 in league scoring when the team was announced though. In hindsight its Crosby because of the way he turned it on the 2nd half of the year and then well.. became the dominant player he has been ever since, but at the time of the actual announcement to me its still Staal. The guy put up 100 that year and then led the playoffs in scoring to win the cup.
I remember thinking the same thing regarding Staal and Spezza being the two biggest snubs. But it was 12 years ago now, so it's tough to honestly remember.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The problem with the selections is that this Olympics is that selections were made 30 games into a season right after a lock-out so it was hard to gauge which players fell off within that year by default they went with a lot of players from the Gold Medal 04' World Cup team thinking the ice surface wouldn't matter as much.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4