Biggest roster needs

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Is the majority of Oiler fans satisfied with the defence now that they got Fistric? If so I believe the biggest need now is in net...

Currently the Oilers have 3 PMD in Whitney, Petry and J Shultz and 3 shutdown guys in Smid, Shultz and Fistric...If they can stay healthy I am happy with this defence..

Which brings us to goaltending:

I do not like having the season depend on whether or not Dubnyk is going to flourish into a #1 goaltender or not... Every game is going to depend on whether he plays at the top of his game or not...

We need a upgrade in net.. ie..Luongo...

What do you think still needs to happen to the roster before the season start?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Franchise D-man, elite 2C, and an upgrade in goal would turn the Oilers into a perpetual contender, IMO>

Phantasy scenario:

Chara-Petry
J.Schultz-Smid
Whitney-N.Schultz
Fistric-Potter

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Zajac-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Hartikainen
Eager-Belanger-Jones
Petrell, Hordichuk

Thomas
Dubnyk

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Looks like it's G .

Whether that's a backup or starter is yet to be seen, but we'll know pretty quick.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Biggest need is western conference playoff-quality 3rd line. Every playoff team has one, we have Horc, Smyth, kids and retreads.

We should be in a good spot to fix this in the summer with Horcoff and probably Belanger or Eager amnestied and lots of teams that need to get under the new smaller cap.

Next on the list is a low 1st/high 2nd pairing defenseman, a 2nd line center (if Gagner doesn't take a step up) and a goalie to either take over for or compete vs. Dubnyk.

We should have good answers as to which is the next most urgent after the season.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
The Oilers need a #1 dman and a #2 centre.

Honestly we are two moves away from becoming contenders IMO. Getting Subban and Ryan O'Reilly.

How we get those guys is the question.

If we could do:

Gagner + for RoR
and
1st rd pick 2013 for Subban

...would be fantastic. Obviously I'm dreaming but whatever :yo:

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
We will see after this season whether or not goaltending needs to be upgraded. I think 2C is the most obvious spot, and a good d-man to replace Whitney if he can't regain his past form. A true #1 D-man will likely be too expensive long term, assuming J. Schultz plays well.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
1) A proper management group.
2) A big, physical center (1C/2C) that can win a majority of their faceoff's.
3) More depth on D, assuming Whitney can return to form and evolve into a #2D-man.

I believe a lot more in Dubnyk than 95% of the posters here .... give the kid a chance to play and he will become exactly what we need in net.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Biggest need by far is big meaty centers. As many as we can get. We have no depth at center and very little efficency at center period.

Center is a huge weakness.

Goaltending is still up in the air. Dub is good but lets soft goals in. That can and hopefuly will disappear asap. Goaltenders take even more time than D-men to reach thier potential.

Our defense is a lil weak but with a lot of potential both in the NHL and as prospects. I think within 2-3 years it will be one of our strengths.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
All the Oilers really need to become a contender is a #1 d-man, the young players to gain experience and a healthy roster. Sam Gagner should develop into the ideal 2nd line center and Dubnyk is a good starting goalie.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
We are good enough for now and have to see how the season progresses.
If we are in the playoffs hunt by trade deadline we should make a strong pitch for Getzlaff... Gagner++

Goaltending is fine until Dubnyk craps the bed and Defense is fine until Whitney starts to suck.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
For #2c:
RoR, Krejci or Hanzal

For Defence
Bouwmeester (cheap) Seabrook (dreaming)

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'd add a big two way center, a top 1-4 D, a top 9 Power Forward, and a solid backup goalie. One could argue everything short of a big center is in the system and only requires patience or an opportunity.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I would say our biggest need is to get rid of Horcoff and replace him with a guy who makes a third as much. Bottom line. It is a shame, because, we could use horc, but not at his salary.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
We need Evander Kane...badly.

This team's top 6 doesn't scare anybody physically. Every time a team get's physical this team collapses like a house of cards.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We need Evander Kane...badly.

This team's top 6 doesn't scare anybody physically. Every time a team get's physical this team collapses like a house of cards.

Not so sure about the availability of Kane but I agree that the top 6 is soft and small. Kanes grit would be a welcome addition to the top 6.

An upgrade is definitely needed there.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would say our biggest need is to get rid of Horcoff and replace him with a guy who makes a third as much. Bottom line. It is a shame, because, we could use horc, but not at his salary.

His salary isnt handicapping us, we are no way near the cap limit, he could make ten million/year in the next 2 years and it wouldnt impact us

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

why not? Are you paying his salary? is he hurting the Oilers in terms of cap? As long as we are not near cap max it doesnt matter if he makes 5.5M or 2.5M to anyone but Katz.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
I know obviously some of these guys will get extended prior to July 5 but the UFA market has a lot of potential this year for the Oilers needs. We are short on 2C's and big wingers that can play and top pairing defencemen.

Big Top 9 Wingers
Perry - pipe dream
Iginla - pipe dream
Horton
Clowe
Clarkson

Big 2C
Getzlaf - pipe dream
Zajac

Top Pairing Defencemen
Edler

Ad