Biggest Questions for Next Season

McDeathbyCheerios*

To me our season has a lot of questions to be answered by camp and before the end of the year that will greatly shape our team next year.

1. Which left handed d prospect comes out flying out of camp. Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse all have a chance Imo to make the team but only one of them will.

2. Will Draisaitl be NHL ready?

3. Will Arcobello or Lander be our 2c?

4. Which goalie pulls ahead in the race for #1?

5. Will Yakupov bounce back into form or did Eakins ruin him as a prospect

6. Will Pouliot and Purcell form a strong duo on the third line and be a huge scoring depth leap?

7. Will Gazdic improve enough to be a full time 4th liner or will he just be used for face punching.

8. Will Hall, RNH and Eberle all have a strong year together and all pull out career high numbers

9. Will the new coaching staff under Eakins actually do well or is Eakins as awful as we think

10. Does the new Oilers defense core lower the shots against to allow our goalies to not have to carry every game

Oh one more!

11. Where is Joensuu going?

coffeyland

Jul 19, 2014
Trumpeter, EDM
1. Which left handed d prospect comes out flying out of camp. Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse all have a chance Imo to make the team but only one of them will.

I'd like to see us dress 7 dmen and allow nurse and klefbom a chance to make an impact, if they are ready. It should be an awesome training camp.

I think he will be ready. I'm not sure he's a second line center yet but he should make an impact but I doubt he'll be consistent enough to stay on a top 6 line.

I think arcobello is a 3\4 centerman. Lander has been far too inconsistent but I like his upside. Both guys need some competition to push them to get better.

No idea, great training camp coming!!!!

Nah, this kid is an awesome talent with a high end skill set. He's very young and guys like perron and ference will give this guy some confidence. He's a big body to move and he should be concentrating on his corsi and staying consistent. He will bounce back with more veteran leadership around him. Maybe hall helps him out?

6. Will Pouliot and Purcell form a strong duo on the third line and be a huge scoring depth leap?

I think so. We will have some scoring depth on that second/ third line. I expect Purcell on the second line. Pouliot might find himself on the third line, IMO.

7. Will Gazdic improve enough to be a full time 4th liner or will he just be used for face punching.

He's a great addition. I'd love to see him on a line that protects our stars. He has some scoring touch and makes room for our skill guys to skate. I'd hate to see hall or rnh fighting ever! He needs more minutes not less.

8. Will Hall, RNH and Eberle all have a strong year together and all pull out career high numbers

I'd like to see them separated to create more depth scoring on each line. They make other players around them better and should be evaluated on various line combos. I also like the idea of having all three on the ice together on the PP.

9. Will the new coaching staff under Eakins actually do well or is Eakins as awful as we think

Eakins is the right guy for the job, and now he's given some more pieces by mact.

10. Does the new Oilers defense core lower the shots against to allow our goalies to not have to carry every game

They better or this will be another long season. We still need to need up the GA before the season starts, IMO.

Oh one more!

Id like to see him on a line with perron. Both are gritty and get in people's faces.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
To me our season has a lot of questions to be answered by camp and before the end of the year that will greatly shape our team next year.

I think Marincin and Klefbom will have solid camps but Nurse will have a chip on his shoulder and be a standout (In good way)

Even if Nurse has the best camp, I feel logic of open spots and where they are in thier ELCs, will determine who will remain. Marincin to the NHL because he has showed he can be competent, Klefbom to AHL for more seasoning but he is practically at the door.
Nurse back to Junior for his final year. It may be not be fair for Nurse but the organization is probably putting a foot down in bringing too many green rookies at the show at a time. If that scenario happens, they are committed to their development plan in producing quality NHL players.

I think he will, but he will be sheltered. I would not be surprised if he earns the 2C role after adjusting after 10-20 NHL games, the Kid is bright. Practically fluent in English in over 2 years.

Both these players will be given a chance to anchor the 2c role, but they will be on a short leash. Oilers want results quickly this year, and so do we, the fans.

I love Scrivens, but honestly believe Fasth will surprise.

Really up to Yakupov, his talent is unquestionable, it is the ability to be able play out of his comfort zone and adjust his game to what the coaches want out of him. If the the ego rumors are true, and he's not listening to his peers, then it will be another hard year for him.

I would like to think so, I am more excited to be able to hold the puck in the offensive zone longer than 5 seconds.

I think Gazdic is capable to be a very good 4th liner, he has some good mentors to look off of in Hendricks and Gordon, but he is our Number 1 enforcer and is probably expected to fulfill that role.

If RNH and Eberle improve over last year, I would have no doubt that all of them will have career years.

I think adding Ramsey gave me more confidence than ever. He will not only be a mentor for the players, but I'm sure Eakins will benefit in having a experience coach to settle him in his decisions and player development.

Yes, I do believe with new acquisitions, we may see a more stable defensive zone then we are normally used to.

Oh one more!

13th Forward, AHL bound, unless the Joensuu of last years Pre-season shows up, then who knows. I would like for him succeed in his role because it makes us better, see no reason wanting the guy to fail because of a underwhelming year.

Last edited:

skorf

Jun 30, 2013

Marincin will be the one, Nurse gets sent back to juniors, and Klefbom starts in OKC, Klefbom is call up #1 for D. Nurse may get the 9 games (start with 8 D up or if there's an injury)

I don't think so, but I do think they will throw him in at 2nd line C regardless

I suspect it will be Nuge/Draisaitl/Gordon/Arcobello

my money is on Scrivens being a little bit better than Fasth

he'll have a better year than last year but I don't think he will have as good of a year as he did as a rookie, Eakins will use him on the 3rd line and give him 12-13 minutes a game and use him as a scapegoat again

Purcell plays in the top 6 and gets about 50 points, but with his lackluster defense and no physical game whatsoever... we wish we had Gagner back. Pouliot will be a solid third liner and fans will like to see him play... he gets about 30 points and plays solid D, half the fans love him for being the type of third liner we need, half the fans hate it that he's being paid like a 2nd line wing and could handcuff the team in the future

Gazdic may improve a bit, and he plays every game still since MacT and Eakins need a guy like him in the lineup

I think Hall will be similar to last year, Nuge will be slightly improved, and Eberle will be about the same

Eakins is awful, hopefully some of the assistants with experience can convince him that he's an idiot once and awhile and get some change

yes, but we will still be top 10 for shots given up next year (last year we were #5... Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Washington gave up more)

14th forward
him, aulie, and Lander in the pressbox

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Answers in bold

1. Which left handed d prospect comes out flying out of camp. Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse all have a chance Imo to make the team but only one of them will. Marincin, although if I were the Oilers I would keep Nurse for the first 9.

2. Will Draisaitl be NHL ready? He will be ready but should still be sent down if we want the most out of him in the end.

3. Will Arcobello or Lander be our 2c? Arco.

4. Which goalie pulls ahead in the race for #1? Scrivens.

5. Will Yakupov bounce back into form or did Eakins ruin him as a prospect. Yes

6. Will Pouliot and Purcell form a strong duo on the third line and be a huge scoring depth leap? They will be split to provide balanced size/scoring.

7. Will Gazdic improve enough to be a full time 4th liner or will he just be used for face punching. No.

8. Will Hall, RNH and Eberle all have a strong year together and all pull out career high numbers. They will be split to provide balance.

9. Will the new coaching staff under Eakins actually do well or is Eakins as awful as we think. Awful.

10. Does the new Oilers defense core lower the shots against to allow our goalies to not have to carry every game . Yes.

Oh one more!

11. Where is Joensuu going?AHL until injuries.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
1. Which left handed d prospect comes out flying out of camp.
Nurse I think comes out flying and looks the best, but gets sent down due to the logjam at the position and we get the best out of Klefbom and Marincin. My guess is they both play a little rusty, and they go with the known property in Marincin, who has a bit of a softmore jinx year :(

Yes! He'll have growing pains but will get some 2nd line minutes despite mainly being played on the 3rd in a sheltered role. Ends with about 33-35 points for a solid rookie campaign.

I'm going to go off the board and say both get shots, and we end up with a rotating gallery of people that really shouldn't be there, including Gordon for times. Again, :(

Probably Scrivens, but I think Fasth makes it interesting. Good to finally have a competitive pair!

Bounces back like a champ, has a 50 point season and becomes everyone's favourite Oiler.

Yes and no. I think they become solid players but also kind of forgettable, like Gordon. They won't hurt us, but will help us by not hurting us. They won't be game breakers either.

I think he'll be basically full-time as soon as we have a wing injury.

Potential is there as I think we have a more balanced lineup that'll force teams to look at covering more than just one of our lines. I think RNH has his highest point total if he stays healthy, while the other two stay at about what they've achieved so far. I also think their real step forward comes next year, when our lineup becomes even better.

Both to a degree. I don't think he's awful, but I don't think he's the kind of coach that can hide a team's deficiencies either. Kind of just along for the ride, for better or for worse. Hopefully his coaching staff can be more of a crutch for him this year.

A bit, but let's not kid ourselves, we'll still need great goaltending if we want to contend for a playoff position, and we'll need it most nights.

Oh one more!

Training camp will decide that. If he comes out guns blazing (like he did last year in TC, actually), then he'll get a shot on the fourth line. Otherwise, I think he gets sent down to the minors or claimed on waivers.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Only Marincin
Yes
Arcobello unless a move is made
Scrivens
Bounce back season.. over 50 points
Yes. If both produce around 30 points we'll be much better than last year.
Considering the Oilers depth has gotten better, likely just a face puncher when needed in the lineup.
Hall and RNH career numbers, Eberle under the 76 points he had a few years ago.
I think Ramsay will help him a lot. Coaching staff has improved, but Eakins still on a short leash.
Yes.. Fayne, Nikitin and Marincin for a full year is a huge improvement
Oh one more!

Press Box or waivers

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Nurse will be a standout and get a 9 game tryout before being sent back to junior. Marincin has practically solidified his spot on the roster with his play last season. Klefbom will start the year in the AHL, play well, and get called up halfway through the year to make the roster for good.

He's NHL ready for sure, but the question is in what capacity? I doubt he's ready for a top 6 role. Even if he's NHL ready, perhaps it would be wise to send him back after 9 games to let him work on skating. If he sticks, keep him sheltered on a low QoC, high offensive zone start line, preferably with Yakupov.

Unfortunately, unless we can pull off a trade, that's how it'll play out. As long as they play responsibly though, there's still hope, Arcobello actually looked decent in the top 6 for stretches. Worse comes to worse, McDavid/Eichel can be our second line center next year.

Scrivens IMO, dude just has the swagger and confidence. I would be happy for both to play well.

Yakupov will bounce back and eventually become the 40 goal scorer he has the potential to be. 25-30 next season is not out of the question if given the opportunity and actually allowed to play near the right faceoff circle on the PP where he belongs. I'm just worried that he'll be doing it for another team.

I wouldn't really call 30/40 points a "huge scoring depth leap", but it'll certainly help.

13th forward ideally. There are many teams out there nowadays that don't dress facepunchers, and Gazdic is not the best hockey player. However, it's a necessary evil against some teams like Calgary simply due to the rest of the team's makeup.

Assuming no injuries, I expect close to 90 points from Hall and around 70 from Nuge and Eberle. The key to the line's success is RNH, if he can bounce back from shoulder surgery and bulk up, it could go a long way in him taking on the West's big centers. Hopefully he regains his rookie form.

Absolutely not. Eakins is objectively one of the worst coaches in Oilers history. His prejudice towards certain players (Yakupov) and the fact that he blatantly plays favorites (Hemsky) is not something you want in the coaching staff. Ramsay is an improvement over Buchberger for sure since he actually has a solid coaching resume, but that's not going to be enough to stop the king of arrogance from making his mark (read: permanent s***stain) on the team.

We replaced Fraser and Belov with Fayne and Nikitin, so the answer is yes. The defense is still bottom 10 in the league though, don't be fooled. The difference is we can actually ice 6 NHL caliber blueliners now.

Ideally, waivers. But that'll depend on how players like Lander and Pitlick perform during training camp.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
1. Which left handed d prospect comes out flying out of camp.
Nurse comes out looking the best in camp and gets sent down due to logjam as others said, should get at least 9 games though
I don't believe so but doesn't matter he makes the team
Hopefully neither, still have hope we could acquire something or else it's going to be a long year
Scrivens, but fasth will put up a good fight
Yes definetly, guy has a lot of drive and skill can't get much worse than last year, I believe he will have a big year
I believe Purcell gets some second line time and had a solid year, pouliot has a weak year and his contract doesn't help his case with the fans
Yes
I hope they do and break out as an elite line, but I'm hopeful not certain
Doubtful Eakins has to big of an ego to listen to much I think
10. Does the new Oilers defense core lower the shots against to allow our goalies to not have to carry every game Yes our d is vastly improved and least depth wise

Oh one more!

probably ahl/waiver bound

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
these are the ones that concern me most

disappointed he appears to have been giving the job without even trying out.

no idea.

just used as for face punching

biggest question facing the team. I could see the team responding to Ramsay and tuning Eakins out.

no idea

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton

It'll be Marincin, but Nurse and Klefbom should both see time in the lineup and do pretty well.

Yes, I see him even in the Calder race with a 45-55 point season.

Arcobello, sadly.

Ben Scrivens.

I am confident that Yakupov can pull off a 30-30-60 next year, the only thing that he needs right now is confidence.

Both will put up 35-40 points, but their contracts will be be gross to look at.

Face Punching.

I see Hall putting up 90 points, RNH and Ebs both putting up 70-80.

Eakins is as awful as we think. When was the last time that a rookie coach looked as aggorant and smug as Eakins?

Yeah, our defense is improved, its still pretty bad but its better than last year.

Oh one more!

AHL.

Answers in black.

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Marincin. He has his foot in the door, more so than any other prospect, and it's his spot to lose.

No, but he'll be on the team opening day.

Arcobello.

Scrivens

He'll bounce back, but not to the tune that we'll want offensively. We'll see a slightly better, still snake-bitten season.

No. Yakupov will be on the third line. Even if we could have a potentially great possession line in Poop, LD and Purcell, we'll somehow screw up that opportunity.

No. 13th forward. However, we'll see him in a lot of Pacific div games.

RNH will be the only one to put up career numbers.

Who? Craig Ramsay is the head coach of this team. Well, he will be by November.

10. Does the new Oilers defense core lower the shots against to allow our goalies to not have to carry every game.

Nope.

Oh one more!

The beautiful sprawl of Oklahoma City.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Marincin. Nurse will probably go back to juniors, unless he somehow outplays most of the D roster, and Klefbom will develop more in the AHL.

I think so. He needs to get sheltered to succeed though imo. Top 6 duty is just asking for trouble.

I doubt its either. Neither are a suitable 2C in any NHL team. MacT was in on Ribeiro, so that being said ; he's still looking for a 2C, and there's still time before the season. Probably a trade will happen.

I say Scrivens, but I won't be surprised if Fasth can take it away from him.

Definitely. I predict Ramsay will be the key person to help him.

Compared to years of players like Eager, Petrell, Hordichuk, I believe those two will be a strong duo. Could be a good fit for Draisaitl on it.

Personally its up to him, but he's probably the 13th at best, unless he improves on his 5v5 play.

I believe this is the year RNH breaks out. Hall will be 80-90+ points, and Eberle 60-70+.

Eakins is awful, but if he listens to Ramsay, I'm sure they can turn it around. First thing first : NO MORE SWARM.

A bit, especially with the addition of Fayne and Nikitin.

Oh one more!

Depends on preseason. He did well last season. If he struggles in the regular, its AHL.

answers in bold. :handclap:

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013

Comes out flying: Nurse. He WANTS this more than the other two I feel. He doesn't want to go back to the OHL again and feels he has nothing to prove there. But I feel, like the rest of you its Marincin - NHL, Klef - AHL, Nurse - OHL

Yes

Arco right now

Fasth

I see him going for a 25/20 season if used correctly, starts lower in the lineup but works his way back up

Hopefully

Dont see it but we will use him

Hall stays about the PPG pace, RNH gets 65-70 Ebs gets 60-65

Love the additions/subtractions, I feel this is our most improved area

On paper we got a lot better minus the 2C so yes

Oh one more!

press box/ AHL

Bold are answers

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Just my opinions:

1. Which left handed d prospect comes out flying out of camp. Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse all have a chance Imo to make the team but only one of them will. Marincin will likely make the team.

2. Will Draisaitl be NHL ready? Who knows really. I imagine he will be given a spot, since oilers center depth sucks.

3. Will Arcobello or Lander be our 2c? Hopkins/Arcobello/Draistatl/Gordon will likely be the centers

4. Which goalie pulls ahead in the race for #1? I think Scrivens but think it will be sorta shared still

5. Will Yakupov bounce back into form or did Eakins ruin him as a prospect I think Yakupov will probably get 20G and 45 Points.

6. Will Pouliot and Purcell form a strong duo on the third line and be a huge scoring depth leap? Will probably help but I dont think they will provide huge scoring depth. If anything hopefully it improves their puck possession.

7. Will Gazdic improve enough to be a full time 4th liner or will he just be used for face punching. Think he will become a full time 4th liner.

8. Will Hall, RNH and Eberle all have a strong year together and all pull out career high numbers. Hall and Eberle will have similar years to last year. I think RNH will be a lot better.

9. Will the new coaching staff under Eakins actually do well or is Eakins as awful as we think. I think Eakins will be awful

10. Does the new Oilers defense core lower the shots against to allow our goalies to not have to carry every game. Less shots I think, bit better puck possession but still a long year with their coachs and center depth.

Oh one more!

11. Where is Joensuu going? AHL prob

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Who will come up with the best nickname for drafting Macdavid when we start are annual November tradition to draft 1st overall.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
When will people stop speculating about the Oilers when they should be doing other things in the summer?

Answer: never.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad