• San Jose Sharks

Votes: 97 84.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Very easily the Sharks. The Rangers were epic regular season chokers back then 25 years ago.

ALine

May 14, 2012
I gotta go with the Rangers here.
I think San Jose had much stronger teams to deal with during their peak years vs what the Rangers were facing. (Now mind you I think the sharks themselves were a much stronger team overall during these years than the Rangers)

Rangers lost twice to the eventual cup winner. Once in the first round against Pittsburg, and in the finals vs LA

San Jose lost 5 Times to cup champs.
once in the finals to the Penguins.

And the sharks had losses to much stronger teams.
03/04 flames
05/06 oilers
06/07 wings
10/11 sharks
12/13 kings
17/18 knights

These teams are better than anything the rangers had to consistently face. The west had some very strong teams during San Jose’s peak years.

Crow

May 19, 2014
sharks but the real answer should be the minnesota wild. 34-62 in the playoffs since 2000 with only 4 series wins and 13 series losses
They definitely suck in the post season but I think that had more to do with the quality of their team. Wouldn’t consider them chokers which usually refers to teams that should have won.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
They definitely suck in the post season but I think that had more to do with the quality of their team. Wouldn’t consider them chokers which usually refers to teams that should have won.
its used for players and teams that fail to perform under pressure. i think a playoff team that only wins 35% of their games and 24% of their series qualifies.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think San Jose had much stronger teams to deal with during their peak years vs what the Rangers were facing. (Now mind you I think the sharks themselves were a much stronger team overall during these years than the Rangers)

Rangers lost twice to the eventual cup winner. Once in the first round against Pittsburg, and in the finals vs LA

03/04 flames
05/06 oilers
06/07 wings
10/11 sharks
12/13 kings
17/18 knights

These teams are better than anything the rangers had to consistently face. The west had some very strong teams during San Jose’s peak years.

Still not sure what my vote is without doing the research yet to jog my memory on the Rangers, but this is a good post and I've always thought the Sharks reputation as chokers was overblown.

We tend to forget that when they won the Presidents' trophy in 2008-2009, going into the season, the Cup favorites were Detroit and Pittsburgh, which ultimately held true with a SCF rematch. Montreal had the next highest odds, and then the Sharks were tied with the Ducks and Stars for next.

Sharks obviously overperformed and the Ducks underperformed in the regular season. Ducks took them out in the first round and held a 2-1 series lead over Detroit in the next round and took them to 7 games. It's hard for me to call this a choke, even though at surface level, it was the #1 team in the league by points losing to the playoff team with the least amount of points. Ducks were not your normal #8 seed. It didn't shock me and that has nothing to do with how the Sharks were perceived. They had some nice records the prior three seasons, but lost where expected.

And as you noted, can losing in the Conference Finals in 2010 and 2011 Conference Finals to Chicago and Vancouver really be labeled as chokes? Including the Sharks, Kings downed a 116, 112, and 107 point team in the West on their way to a Cup win in 2014.

I've never quite aligned with the Sharks choker label.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Both the Rangers and the Sharks have had some great teams over the last 20 years but have never been able to get it done.
They have? All I remember is 15 odd years of Lundqvist carrying subpar rosters further than they should go with a reliance on defense.

Furthest they went was the final. Who were their centers that year?

It’s definitely the Sharks. However I voted for the Rangers because f*** them.
Yet @TheStatican would have us believe that polls on hfboards are objective data with concrete results. ;)

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The Sharks. Although not everyone peaked at the same time, Thornton, Marleau, Burns, Couture, Vlasic, Pavelski together for multiple years seems wrong to not have a cup to show for.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Which series were the Sharks supposed to win, exactly?

The reverse sweep in 2014 was pretty unforgivable but there are zero other series that they absolutely should have won but didn’t. They were badly outmatched by the 2010 Hawks, 2011 Canucks, and 2016 Penguins. The 2009 Ducks team was not a real 8th seed—they got healthy right in time for the playoffs and the Sharks’ most important players got injured, plus Jonas Hiller played out of his mind. Most other series losses (2008, 2012, 2013, 2017, 2018, 2019), they simply ran into better teams or lost a seven game series to an equally good team by the slimmest of margins.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Is the plan to go with that for every poll you lose? 🤔
I didnt realize I could lose something that was personal preference. But I guess that's why you got so worked up and purposely misconstrued or flat out ignored my points. Because you were trying to win something that wasn't a contest.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
They have? All I remember is 15 odd years of Lundqvist carrying subpar rosters further than they should go with a reliance on defense.

Furthest they went was the final. Who were their centers that year?

Yet @TheStatican would have us believe that polls on hfboards are objective data with concrete results. ;)
Some of those Shark squads were loaded. The year they actually made the finals probably wouldn’t have been one of their three best teams since 2000.

The Rangers team was largely carried by the King. They were good not great. The Sharks should have won a title, the Rangers could have. I wouldn’t really consider any of the Rangers teams chokers.

I know his poll was going to skew towards San Jose. Shame they never won a title. Speaking as a Caps fan, I always viewed San Jose as kindred spirits, but that one title for us helps change the perception of the franchise from chokers to champs and I feel for the SJ fanbase.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

03/04 flames
05/06 oilers
06/07 wings
10/11 sharks
12/13 kings
17/18 knights

Even so, from 2004 to 2011 the Sharks finished with 100+ points every season except for 2006 (99 points). They weren't barely making the playoffs as an 8th seed.

ALine

May 14, 2012
Even so, from 2004 to 2011 the Sharks finished with 100+ points every season except for 2006 (99 points). They weren't barely making the playoffs as an 8th seed.
And the rangers were making the playoffs handily through that period aswell. In a much weaker conference.

The debate comes down to whether a stronger team in San Jose should have done more against much stronger opponents, vs the rangers who faced weaker opponents. But the rangers themselves were weaker than the sharks.

Ironically one thing the rangers had is great goaltending, is the one thing the sharks needed more. And the rangers needed more offensive, which San Jose weren’t entirely hurting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad