Biggest need for this team?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Need some cap space and some draft picks. So move at least two (maybe three) of the 2024 free agents. Can’t walk into next season with half the roster set to go UFA.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
1. New arena. The legendary Dome is becoming a joke, and its ruining it legacy to be quite frank.
2. GM to steer the ship and navigate some difficult resigning's as the team heads into the first official year of the Huberdeau contract/era.
3. Coach that will play the young guns, and serviceable depth to swap in/out when its not working out. (Love, Boudreau, Brunette). A players coach with offense leaning system.
4. Top six right side shoot-first winger with speed/skill>>>Ehlers, Konecny
5. A veteran leader we leads by example and is an absolute warrior. A players coach only works if there is strong leadership in place that doesn't allow things to get too off course.
Iginla > Giordano > ???
I don't see any obvious choices for the captaincy. I hear/see Backlund but I don't see it, he's had his looks. If he was the obvious choice it would have been him already.

May i ask what's wrong with the Dome?

I always have lot's of fun here and i don't see anything joke related

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

It's effectively a decade older than any other NHL arena. Major acts don't come here because the roof can't support their speakers and pyrotechnics.

It had a good run and I'll remember it and all the fun times I've had there fondly but put simply Calgary needs a new one.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014

I absolutely love the Dome too. Its iconic and fun.

The reason its received negative attention in the last few years is basically its ridiculously out of date. Its the oldest arena in the league. A photo/video of the flames dressing room was posted on social media at some point in the season and it became a bit of a joke because of how bad it is. Players complain about it publicly. Its just bad. They should have updated it 10 years ago but with the new arena plan always lingering I imagine it was an easy decision to kick the can down the road. Google the flames dressing room, its like Junior B in 2008 level bad.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
It's effectively a decade older than any other NHL arena. Major acts don't come here because the roof can't support their speakers and pyrotechnics.

It had a good run and I'll remember it and all the fun times I've had there fondly but put simply Calgary needs a new one.

I don't get that all that.
Shaniya Twain was here Wednesday and it was great according to the wife.

In general, the stadium is the least problem for the Flames imo
The ownership forbidding a true rebuild just to barely reach the playoff to make a couple of cents is the true crime.
This black hole of 1st round exits but to far away from good draft picks is killing the team since decades

I absolutely love the Dome too. Its iconic and fun.

The reason its received negative attention in the last few years is basically its ridiculously out of date. Its the oldest arena in the league. A photo/video of the flames dressing room was posted on social media at some point in the season and it became a bit of a joke because of how bad it is. Players complain about it publicly. Its just bad. They should have updated it 10 years ago but with the new arena plan always lingering I imagine it was an easy decision to kick the can down the road. Google the flames dressing room, its like Junior B in 2008 level bad.

After last years performance, i as a player would have different things on my mind

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I don't get that all that.
Shaniya Twain was here Wednesday and it was great according to the wife.

In general, the stadium is the least problem for the Flames imo
The ownership forbidding a true rebuild just to barely reach the playoff to make a couple of cents is the true crime.
This black hole of 1st round exits but to far away from good draft picks is killing the team since decades

After last years performance, i as a player would have different things on my mind
Youre not a player though and havent been into the other 90% of the building. Players hate it and its a major decision when signing contracts, glad ur wife had fun tho.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Youre not a player though and havent been into the other 90% of the building. Players hate it and its a major decision when signing contracts, glad ur wife had fun tho.

I have a hard time to believe that players base their signing decisions on the locker room.
But like you said, i am not a player

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Another brilliant PR win for Murray Edwards

LeBrun:
I was also told the Penguins wanted to include Brad Treliving as part of their first wave of Zoom interviews but the Flames denied them permission, apparently telling Pittsburgh it would have to wait until Treliving’s contract expired June 30 — which, well, is a little bizarre of the Flames if you ask me. Treliving is leaving the organization, so why would they care?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Edwards is just sour, that Brad turned down the job with the Flames.

Someone from Calgary social media made a good point about this.

Treliving, while his tenure here was mired in mostly mediocrity, has actually had an exceptional draft history. Since 2015, he's drafted some fairly high end players outside of the first round; with some real game breakers included as well (including Fox who didn't play a game here).

I think with the amount of meetings he's had with our scouting staff, the amount of in person viewings he's likely had... I honestly wouldn't personally feel comfortable letting him walk into a competitors office with what he knows prior to the draft. You'd hate for him to make the call of having someone Calgary views as a mid-round steal and have that player end up being something.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Someone from Calgary social media made a good point about this.

Treliving, while his tenure here was mired in mostly mediocrity, has actually had an exceptional draft history. Since 2015, he's drafted some fairly high end players outside of the first round; with some real game breakers included as well (including Fox who didn't play a game here).

I think with the amount of meetings he's had with our scouting staff, the amount of in person viewings he's likely had... I honestly wouldn't personally feel comfortable letting him walk into a competitors office with what he knows prior to the draft. You'd hate for him to make the call of having someone Calgary views as a mid-round steal and have that player end up being something.
Especially when a team like Pitt is drafting two spots ahead of us

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Can;t remember specific examples, but I don't think it's the first time a team has done this to a former executive or scout, specifically because of the draft. Not sure why the outrage.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Can;t remember specific examples, but I don't think it's the first time a team has done this to a former executive or scout, specifically because of the draft. Not sure why the outrage.

People are mad at Murray Edwards and the Flames in general right now so this is just another reason to criticize them. There's really nothing wrong with what they are doing and they should be doing this. The draft is one of the most important things for a team, you can't have people telling other teams what you plan on doing.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I dislike Edwards as much as the next guy but I really don't see an issue with this.

- Brad is under contract - and mutually agreed to walk away after his contract expires.
- Brad has extensive knowledge of our draft board and insights into players of interest and the team seeking permission is drafting directly in front of us
- According to Maloney, Brad wanted to take some time away from the game which factored heavily into his decision not to return

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
the only reporting has been that teams weren't given permission. Nobody's talking about what Treliving wants, or if he's even seeking a new job right now

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
We don't need to upgrade Defense, we just need more depth to shoulder losing another Dman forever like this season.
I don’t look at it like we lost 1 Dman this year, I look at it like we lost most of our D-men this season. Kylington was obviously gone. Tanev was visibly struggling through that same shoulder injury from last years playoffs. Weegar went from one of the best 5v5 Dmen to struggling offensively for the first 2/3 of the season while figuring out Sutter’s system (he is now 3rd in scoring at the worlds currently). Andersson was pretty clearly effected by the car accident for the last 1/3 of the season. Even Stone missed serious time. We just need to focus on getting our current d-core firing on all cylinders, depth is definitely not an issue.

Our biggest need is a run and gun coach. We barely missed the playoffs with the worst possible versions of Huberdeau, Kadri, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Weegar, and Markstrom. If we can get back some semblance of a ~100 point Huberdeau, a sure fire 30 goal Lindholm, a high 20s goal Mangiapane, a top 5v5 offensive Dman in Weegar etc. our offense could be electric, and we have the horses on our backend to stifle the counterattack and strong potential in net with a Markstrom/Wolf duo.

Posters bemoaned our offense all season, but we only lost 33 goals year over year. If we could hire a Brunette or a Gallant who prioritize scoring in waves, we could pot a lot of goals next season while getting Huberdeau, Kadri, Mangiapane and Lindholm back on track.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad