Blues-68 conference winner
Leafs-42 cup winner
Canucks-94 conference winner
Capitals-98 Conference winner

Last edited:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
If memory serves, the Red Wings are the only team to have won the Cup in OT of Game 7, doing it in both 1950 (Pete Babando, 2OT) and 1954 (Tony Leswick). The '50 Wings also defeated Toronto in Game 7 OT a couple weeks earlier. Those are some pretty huge goals.

Canadiens-83 cup winner????

83?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The Devils won the 1995 Cup so easily, I think that whatever goal happened to be the winner isn't that important.

There are two choices:

1. John MacLean's goal in OT in the last game of the 1988 regular season to get the Devils into the playoffs for the first time ever.

2. Jason Arnott's cup winning goal in OT of Game 6 in 2000.

There's even an article on this (as there probably are for several teams):
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/06/who_scored_the_devils_biggest.html

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
what would be each team's biggest goal these are my opinions

Ducks-07 cup winner
Thrashers-07 playoff seed clincher
Bruins-Orr's "flying" goal
Sabres-99 conference clincher
Flames-89 cup winner
Hurricanes-06 cup winner
Blackhawks-2010 cup winner
Avalanche-01 cup winner
Blue Jackets-09 playoff seed clincher
Stars-Hull's "in the crease" goal
Red Wings-97 cup winner
Oilers-84 cup winner
Panthers-96 conference winner
Kings-93 conference winner
Wild-03 second round winner
Canadiens-83 cup winner????
Predators-03 playoff seed clincher
Devils-95 cup winner
Islanders-80 cup winner
Rangers-93 cup winner
Senators-07 conference winner
Flyers-74 cup winner
Coyotes-2010 playoff seed clincher
Penguins-91 cup winner
Sharks-03 second round winner
Blues-68 conference winner
Leafs-42 cup winner
Canucks-93 conference winner
Capitals-98 Conference winner

depends on what you mean by "biggest."

if we can stretch this thread beyond the game winning goal that got the team the farthest they went, some most legendary goals might be:

anaheim - kariya's goal after the stevens hit to put the game out of reach and force game 7.

new jersey - arnott in OT.

vancouver - bure's breakaway OT game 7 goal.

EDIT: man, i take a few minutes to think about this and two of my choices are already posted. great minds, i guess.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
For the Canadiens, I'd recommend the Guy Lafleur goal after the Too Many Men on the Ice penalty to tie the CF against Boston in Game 7. Just a ridiculous reaction from the crowd.

From a personal standpoint, I'd say the Senators is Steve Duchesne's goal to send the Senators to the playoffs for the first time in the final regular season game against Buffalo in '97.

Derick*

Sharks is definitely last year's second round winner. Much more pressure, much higher expectations after the goal is scored.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
if we can stretch this thread beyond the game winning goal that got the team the farthest they went

I hope we can. :nod:

For the Canadiens, I'd recommend the Guy Lafleur goal after the Too Many Men on the Ice penalty to tie the CF against Boston in Game 7. Just a ridiculous reaction from the crowd.

Gotta agree - that goal is such an iconic moment in the sport, it can't be overlooked.

From a personal standpoint, I'd say the Senators is Steve Duchesne's goal to send the Senators to the playoffs for the first time in the final regular season game against Buffalo in '97.

Agreed - if Alfie doesn't score that goal in 2007, they still have two more cracks at taking down the Sabres. Compare that to the win-and-you're-in-or-lose-and-go-home scenario from 1997 which capped off an improbable 9-3-2 run (they were 22-33-13 before running the table at the end) and set the stage for one of the greatest playoff series in my lifetime.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
For the Devils there is no other option than Jason Arnott´s cup winning goal in overtime of 2000 SCF.

Most remarkable moment of the 1995 was not any goal but Steven´s hit on Kozlov, which change - or better - keep the momentum of series on Devils´ side.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
According to my dad, it would be Henri Richard's SC GWG in '71.

JT Dutch*

... I should probably preface this by saying that I've been a fan of the Kings since 1984, although I DID see the Kings/Oilers series in 1982 as well.

For my money, the biggest goal in Kings' history was Gary Shuchuk's OT goal in game 5 of the Kings/Canucks DF series in 1993. It's at about 6:05 of the video.

The goal put the Kings up 3-2 in that series, and the Kings won game 6 at home to close it out.

The Kings had never ventured past the second round of the playoffs before, and without Shuchuk's goal it would have been another year of ... almost, but not quite.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For Detroit I would say Babando 1950. If there was a defining goal in 1997 it would certainly be in the running.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
For the Hurricanes, the cup winner in 06 wasn't that big a goal. There was a lot of game played after it, and I would say that the most important goal in that game was Justin William's empty netter following Cam Ward's huge save on Pisani that kept it from being tied.

Biggest goal in that playoff run probably goes to Staal's goal against the Devils.

Of course, the entirely different option is Francis's OT goal in game 1 of the 2002 final that really legitimized the franchise, even if they wound up losing the series.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
For the Hurricanes, the cup winner in 06 wasn't that big a goal. There was a lot of game played after it, and I would say that the most important goal in that game was Justin William's empty netter following Cam Ward's huge save on Pisani that kept it from being tied.

Biggest goal in that playoff run probably goes to Staal's goal against the Devils.

Of course, the entirely different option is Francis's OT goal in game 1 of the 2002 final that really legitimized the franchise, even if they wound up losing the series.

Another possibility would be Gelinas' goal against the Maple Leafs in the 2002 ECF to send the Hurricanes to the Finals for the first time. The Detroit goal is right around that same level of importance.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Flyers top 10

1. Rick MacLeish - Game 6, 74 Stanley Cup Finals - Bernie Parent made this goal stand up against Orr, Espo et. al fpr a 1-0 victory for the Flyers first Stanley Cup

2. Bob Clarke - Game 2, 74 Stanley Cup Finals - OT winner gave the Flyers the one victory they were going to need at the Boston Garden to win the Cup.

3. Bob Kelly - Game 6, 75 Stanley Cup Finals - Kelly scored 11 seconds into the 3rd period, and once again Parent made the goal stand up, in a Flyers 2-0 victory over the Sabres to clinch their 2nd Cup.

4. Gary Dornhoeffer - Game 7, 74 Semi-finals - The second of his two goals on the night was the game winner, to defeat the Rangers 4-3 in both the game and series. This was the first ever series victory by a expansion team over an original six team, and put the Flyers into the Finals.

5. Andre Dupont - Game 2, 74 Stanley Cup Finals - The "Moose" one-timed a great feed from MacLeish passed Gilles Gilbert with Parent pulled and under a minute to go. Sent game two to OT.

6. Simon Gagne - Game 7, 10 round two - Gagne scored on the power play late in the third period completing an 0-3 comeback in both the game and the series.

7. Mark Howe - Game 1, 85 round one - The Flyers had lost 9 straight playoff games, being humiliated the previous three springs, often as a significant favorite. Flyers faced their nemesis Rangers once again, and had 51 more points in the regular season. Flyers blew a 3-0 lead and a 4-3 lead with under a minute to go. Howe blew a wrist shot passed a screened Glen Hanlon wo win the game in OT. Flyers rolled from there, on their way to the Finals.

8. Dave Poulin - Game 6, 85 Wales Conf. Finals - Leading 1-0 in the game and two men shorthanded in the second period, with a seventh game looming in Quebec, Dave Poulin picked off a Marios Marois pass at the blue line. Poulin went in and ripped a wrist shot over Mario Gosselin's glove. Flyers dominated from there, and won 3-0 with a Lindbergh shut-out, moving them onto the Finals.

9. Gary Dornhoeffer - Game 5, 73 round one - With the series tied at two, Dornhoeffer scored a brilliant goal against Caesar Maniago, propelling the Flyers to their first ever series victory.

10. Keith Primeau - Game 4, 00 round two - Primeau's goal over Ron Tugnutt's shoulder ended the longest game in modern NHL history and tied the series at two a piece. Flyers won the following two games, to win the series.

Honorable mentions:

04 - Simon Gagne - Game 7, ECF
04 - Keith Primeau - Game 7, ECF
04 - Jeremy Roenick - Game 6, round two
04 - Dany Markov - Game 5, round one
97 - Eric Lindros - game 4, ECF
89 - Dave poulin - game 7, Patrick Division finals
87 - J.J. Daigneault - game 6, Stanley Cup Finals
87 - Rick Tocchet - game 6, Wales Conf. Finals

Starchild74

Aug 27, 2009
Here are some of the biggest goals I have ever seen since 1979-80 season

Bruins: Cam Neely scoring in 1988 against Montreal and lifting the Bruins past the Canadiens for the first time in a long time. Gave the Bruins a lift knowing that finally they could beat the Canadiens

Sabres: The "May Day" goal The sabres finally get past the first round on one of the best calls ever for a goal

Canadiens: Eric Desjardins goal after the infamous stick measurement. If he doesn't score Montreal goes down 2-0 and maybe the KIngs win the cup

Senators: Daniel Alfredsson against the Leafs in 2002 when he boarded Tucker and then scored the goal. It was then that Alfredsson became the face of the Senators in my opinion

Maple Leafs: Borchevsky's goal against the Red Wings in 1993

Devils: Claude Lemieux against the Flyers game six to get the Devils to the finals in 1995.

Islanders: Nystrom's Stanley cup winning goal

Rangers: Either Messier's Stanley cup winning goal to end the 54 year old drought or Matteau's game 7 goal against the Devils

Flyers: J. J Daigneault to get the Flyers to game seven against the powerful Edmonton Oilers in 1987

Penguins: Mario's goal in the finals against the North Stars 1991

Hurricanes: Gelinas goal in 2002 to beat the leafs and get them to the finals

Lightning: Martin St Louis overtime goal game 6 of the finals against Calgary to force a game 7

Capitals: Joe Juneau in 1998 overtime goal to get the Capitals to the finals for the first time against the Sabres

Blackhawks no question Patrick Kane's goal last year

Red Wings: Darren McCarty's Stanley cup winning goal in 1997 one the prettiest goals ever in the Stanley cup finals

Blues: Doug Wickenheiser game 6 against the Flames in 1986 to force a game 7

Ducks: Dustin Penner game winning goal in 2007 game 4 vs the Senators. It looked the Senaotrs might make it a series but his goal gave the ducks a commanding 3-1 lead

Kings: Wayne Gretzky game 6 vs the Leafs in 1993 Gets the Kings to game 7 on one of the most talked about goals ever especially to leafs fans

Stars: No question it is Brett Hull's Stanley cup winning goal in 1999

Flames: Joel Otto's goal game 7 vs the Canucks in 1989 No Stanley cup run if he doesn't score that goal and Vernon stands on his head to beat the surprising canucks

Avalanche: 1982 Dale Hunter game 5 against the Canadiens to beat the Canadiens in a best of 5 series

Canucks: Pavel Bure game 7 vs Calgary in 1994 what a breakaway goal

Oilers: Mark Messier Game 3 vs the Islanders 1984 the biggest goal in Oiler Histor

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00