Biggest Game in Franchise History: Devils Edition

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Welcome back to the Last Word on Hockey’s summer series where we look at the biggest game in team history. Each day we will be back with a new team to look at. Looking at things like the lead-up, what happened, followed, and why it makes it the biggest game. The biggest game does not automatically mean a win, either. Sometimes, it can be a loss that set the franchise back massively. Sit back and enjoy as we break down all 31 team’s most important game. This is the New Jersey Devils biggest game in franchise history. The full series is found here.

The Dallas Stars were the defending Stanley Cup Champions with a loaded lineup that included Mike Modano and Brett Hull. The Devils knew they would have to continue to play strong defense against this deadly combination. Not to mention with Ed Belfourbetween the pipes, the Stars were primed for a repeat.
However, in 2000 the Devils had one thing going for them – a line that could score. That line was simply known as the “A-Line.” Jason Arnott, Patrik Elias, and Petr Sykora was an offensive juggernaut for the Devils. This lined propelled the Devils into the Stanley Cup Final against the Stars. The Stars defense had its work cut out for them. It was something the Stars were not prepared for as the series got started.

New Jersey Devils Biggest Game In Franchise History

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I would say Game 7 2001 or 2003 was the biggest game in franchise history.

I wouldn't say a non-elimination game for the Devils could be the biggest game in franchise history.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
SCF Game 7 2001
SCF Game 7 2003
SCF Game 4 1995
SCF Game 6 2000
ECF Game 7 2003 or ECF Game 7 1994

that would be my top 5 ranking.

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
SCF Game 7 2001
SCF Game 7 2003
SCF Game 4 1995
SCF Game 6 2000
ECF Game 7 2003 or ECF Game 7 1994

that would be my top 5 ranking.

This is a good ranking. Most people wouldn’t put a game the Devils lost as a top 5 (let alone #1), but that game is the difference between the Devils being a cut above Detroit and Colorado and really the dynasty of that era vs being a peer within that group.

If they wanted to go with 2000, those ECF games after being down 3-1 would have been a good choice. Game 7 was amazing. The 2000 Stanley Cup was pretty important as it laid the foundation for the cup runs that followed - so I can see that Cup as being the pivotal one. But, I agree that its hard to call a non-elimination game the most important game of the franchise’s history.

Wow do I miss those teams.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
June 24 1995

this is the correct answer. considering what happened the year prior, and the fact that without that cup we may not even have stayed in NJ

Tough to argue with this.

Correct answer. You all get a cookie.

087d17eb-500e-4b26-abd1-4f9ffa96a2c6.jpg

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Would have to say this game gets consideration as one of the more notable. Essentially where it all began and got the ball rolling for real. For the next 24 years; 3 championships, 5 championship appearances, and 3 seasons without a playoff appearance.

Reactions: tailfins and JK3

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Would have to say this game gets consideration as one of the more notable. Essentially where it all began and got the ball rolling for real. For the next 24 years; 3 championships, 5 championship appearances, and 3 seasons without a playoff appearance.

That's actually the first game that came to mind for me.

Reactions: tailfins

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

i considered that game for the same reasons

and that was only 6 years of being in jersey …….just look at columbus……almost 2 decades later and their biggest game is taking out the lightning in game 4 this playoffs for their first ever series win …...all the while going 'all in' for a run only to have their top players bail in FA.

what a sad existence

Reactions: Wingman77

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I don't think it was known at the time, but in retrospect, game 5 1995 ECF tied 2-2 in the series with the Flyers.

Devils won when Claude Lemieux scored with 45 seconds left in the game.

As was said above, if the Devils don't win the cup, I don't think we're here talking about the NEW JERSEY Devils

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
i considered that game for the same reasons; and that was only 6 years of being in jersey …….just look at columbus……almost 2 decades later and their biggest game is taking out the lightning in game 4 this playoffs for their first ever series win …...all the while going 'all in' for a run only to have their top players bail in FA. what a sad existence

I'd feel really bad for them if Tortarella wasn't their coach. f*** that guy.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think it was known at the time, but in retrospect, game 5 1995 ECF tied 2-2 in the series with the Flyers.

As was said above, if the Devils don't win the cup, I don't think we're here talking about the NEW JERSEY Devils

Agreed. Despite winning the previous two games at the Meadowlands, the Flyers had huge problems solving the trap. Game 5 was no different. The Flyers couldn't penetrate the Jersey offensive zone and New Jersey was outplaying the Flyers throughout the game, outshooting the Flyers by a wide margin. As much as I don't like to say it, I believe the Devils pull it out had game 5 gone to OT.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I think the goal is remembered as above the faceoff circle because Lemieux had a few from that spot in the playoffs, but this shit was just inside the blue line, it was a great shot, no question, but still a miserable goal for Hextall to give up. I wonder if this kind of goal is why the butterfly style took off.

Reactions: Bleedred

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

I think the goal is remembered as above the faceoff circle because Lemieux had a few from that spot in the playoffs, but this **** was just inside the blue line, it was a great shot, no question, but still a miserable goal for Hextall to give up. I wonder if this kind of goal is why the butterfly style took off.

Not for nothing, but for the game's speed back then and late in the 3rd, Claude FLEW up the wing there. I remember the shot but not the play and seeing it now, it's pretty damn impressive by today's standards.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

So real quickly, if we would have moved to Nashville. Would NJ have been awarded the team that became the Predators? I know with the NBA, after the Sonics relocated to OKC, they were promised a future team. (Which I believe they are getting soon with NHL Seattle happening) So I don't find the scenario too far-fetched.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
So real quickly, if we would have moved to Nashville. Would NJ have been awarded the team that became the Predators? I know with the NBA, after the Sonics relocated to OKC, they were promised a future team. (Which I believe they are getting soon with NHL Seattle happening) So I don't find the scenario too far-fetched.

I really doubt it. NY still would have had two teams. There’s no other sport where 3 teams are in one market. Plus the northeast in general is pretty saturated. They didn’t replace the Whalers when they left. I think the NHL would have looked elsewhere.

Reactions: New Jersey

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
i considered that game for the same reasons

and that was only 6 years of being in jersey …….just look at columbus……almost 2 decades later and their biggest game is taking out the lightning in game 4 this playoffs for their first ever series win …...all the while going 'all in' for a run only to have their top players bail in FA.

what a sad existence

In fairness, playoffs were 16 of 21 teams then. Very different now.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
In no particular order

1988 Final game of the season
1995 Cup Finals game 4

People don't understand what a monumental achievement making the playoffs for the first time was. After years of futile dumpster fire hockey and mickey mouse teams to finally clinch a playoff spot on the last game of the season in OT was incredible.

Obviously the 95 cup win with our first championship.

There's no way in hell a non elimination finals game 6 (after winning the cup once already) is the biggest game in franchise history. Same thing for 2003 game 7 after winning 2 cups.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Not for nothing, but for the game's speed back then and late in the 3rd, Claude FLEW up the wing there. I remember the shot but not the play and seeing it now, it's pretty damn impressive by today's standards.

I can't help but think that "the game is definitely faster now" has become a bit of a meme.

It's always been fast. Athletes are just better trained now.

Reactions: New Jersey

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
I'd say a case could be made for the first game of the '95 SCF, with the Devils taking it late in the third on a Lemieux goal in a tough game. If they lose that first game, I think that series would be a dogfight. I think it shocked the Wings that this Devils team could even compete with them, let alone win. I still remember the "who cares?!" chants from Wings fans after every Devil was introduced in the pregame. Practically no one gave them a chance in that series.

Reactions: New Jersey and JK3

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad