Biggest Drop Off From Starter to Back Up in the League?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If I recall, CBJ has a fairly solid back up to Bob. Linden looks promising in Montreal. Kuemper is adequate in LA.

Then we have Budaj behind Vasi. Coming into this game he had an .867 save percentage and a 3.75 GAA (compare to .932 and 2.21 for Vasi). He has given up 2 goals on 7 shots tonight (each a muffin).

Worst back up in the league?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I want to say Pavs -- but his career has been one long, gentle drop-off from very modest beginnings.

Reactions: Jets

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
vasi and budaj definitely a contender, as is bob to korpisalo (just by virtue of bob being so good)

better question would be smallest gap. I'm thinking rask/khudobin, luongo/reamer and Elliott/neuvirth being up there for that one.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Maybe not a Starter but back before 2012 I remember Bernier getting an insane amount of hype by some people, apparently he had a potential to be better than Quick.

Unfortunately that never happened.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Before Lack finally got sent down, it was him. Wasn't even close either, he was awful.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Price to Montoya.. and now NIEMI.... stats, in positioning, technical aspect of the position... but once again Price is a top goalie.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I was going to say Niemi. he seemed like an alright tender then all of the sudden this year he was hot garbage. To be honest though i do not watch him a ton. it could have been a more gentle decline that turned into a complete dumpster fire.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I was going to say Niemi. he seemed like an alright tender then all of the sudden this year he was hot garbage. To be honest though i do not watch him a ton. it could have been a more gentle decline that turned into a complete dumpster fire.

Do yourself a favour and review his stats from last season with Dallas.

You won't find a single Stars fan surprised by this year's results.

Reactions: LowSodium

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Jonathan Bernier? for years it was thought he was a starter stuck behind quick. turns out he was never a great starter and will spend the rest of his career likely as backup.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Jonathan Bernier? for years it was thought he was a starter stuck behind quick. turns out he was never a great starter and will spend the rest of his career likely as backup.

The question is which duo has the biggest gap between them. So it's not Bernier. Varlamov is barely above him this season.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Wow I can't believe Budaj is still in the league.

he's a GREAT backup if you only expect him to only spell the 1A, if your 1A gets injured and you have to ride budaj for a long time, it can get tricky.

I can say without reservation, that I would take budaj over niemi as price's backup every day of the week. I never liked the way we jettisoned him to begin with. he's a stand up guy who knows his role and is more than a gamer if you want to temporarily exapand the role.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
:laugh:

I haven't seen a team help their goalie out like LA did last year with Budaj in a long time, their willingness to form a protective wall between the puck and Budaj was remarkable. Budaj had that Kings team to thank for resurrecting his career.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Everyone is answering the OP incorrectly lol. In fairness, the title made things very confusing. Should be "which starter and backup have the biggest talent gap between each other" or something along those lines.

Marom1981

Dec 7, 2017
Everyone is answering the OP incorrectly lol. In fairness, the title made things very confusing. Should be "which starter and backup have the biggest talent gap between each other" or something along those lines.
yep, you're completely right about that. or at least the title made the things very confusing for me too. lol

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Talbot and Brossoit for me

Came here to post this... Talbot has not been good this year but every time LB goes in net I just hold my breath... then he makes a couple great stops... then he lets in the softest goals. I mean if Kris Russel can score on you...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad