Biggest difference maker in this 2014-15 season !?

Analyzer*

Faceoffs.

We're a small team and if we're starting with the puck, that's less energy we have to expend to get it back.

It seemed a lot of our shifts last year we'd work hard to get the puck back and when we did, it was time for a line change.

However, our number of icings are still the same.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Faceoffs.

We're a small team and if we're starting with the puck, that's less energy we have to expend to get it back.

It seemed a lot of our shifts last year we'd work hard to get the puck back and when we did, it was time for a line change.

However, our number of icings are still the same.
We've iced the puck a lot more this year from stretch passes and stuff missing than last year though. Last year icings were Murray, Bouillon, or Gorges icing the puck to relieve pressure.

Huge difference.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Having two good scoring lines.

And although their useless +/- stats doesn't look that good, I think our 3rd line is doing their job perfectly. Same for the 4th.

Analyzer*

We've iced the puck a lot more this year from stretch passes and stuff missing than last year though. Last year icings were Murray, Bouillon, or Gorges icing the puck to relieve pressure.

Huge difference.

I see the same this year from Tinordi trying to relieve pressure. Subban trying to do the same, but flipping it the air, just too much on it. Weaver and Gilbert off the glass and down.

Still don't get why they ice it so ****ing much.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
With Emelin playing we're 6-0 with only 12 goals against in those games, he's been playing great logging over 23 minutes a game for us.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
My opinion : The Kids up front + Tinordi

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Faceoffs + Plekanec having more options offensively + cut of some dead weight like gionta + Youth taking it's place + Murray for Tinordi Swap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Huge difference.

Exactly. Longer, high-risk passes have given us many more breaks and positional gains. The flipside is more icings if we miss.

I see the same this year from Tinordi trying to relieve pressure. Subban trying to do the same, but flipping it the air, just too much on it. Weaver and Gilbert off the glass and down.

Still don't get why they ice it so ****ing much.

Those passes have become (mostly) a symptom of our offensive strategy. We're connecting on so many more of them this year and it's allowed us to take the offensive zone quicker and more often. Sure, some miss, but most don't. Big difference from the last few years when our D had a three-pronged approach to clearing our zone: 1) Short lateral passes that were often intercepted; 2) Skating it out themselves which resulted in them being overpowered; 3) Desperate stretch pass that resulted in icing.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The biggest difference is Plekanec's scoring and it's less him and more that he's used in a 2-way role rather than a defensive one.

Malhotra has helped in that regard but it's only one of many reasons that Plekanec has been given a bigger offensive role. Having Galchenyuk on his wing is another because even Therrien understands Chukie needs to be in an offensive role. Not being tied to Gionta is another.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Two factors for me:

1) the malhotra acquisition. Its been beaten to death why this was such a good move, so I won't elaborate on this.

2) Last year's playoff experience. The team has a collective resilliance about them that I have not seen for many many years. Beating the bruins in the playoffs has got them over a mental hump, I think.

Other teans have to look at the habs and think that its not enough to get a lead on them, you have to bury them or they are as likely as anyone to pull you back in and win.

Its that fine line between thinking you are going to win, and expecting to win. I think the habs have entered the latter realm. That's part experience and part resilience. This team seems to have it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Malhotra. No Gorges on top pairing. Scoring depth. All those elements are linked.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I was thinking about this issue the other day and the team reminds me of 93 team in that the D is not that big, but very mobile. They get the puck out more often than not before the other team can get it and check them, thus saving them from wearing down.

I would not discount the other changes though, it really is the whole is greater than the sum of its parts kind of deal.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
2) Last year's playoff experience. The team has a collective resilliance about them that I have not seen for many many years. Beating the bruins in the playoffs has got them over a mental hump, I think.

Good point. The guys now know they can play their game and it'll get them somewhere. Playoffs experience is certainly a huge plus there.

No team ever went from bottom feeder to cup winner within one or two years. Even the Gretzky-led Oilers from the 80s had to lose a cup final to the Islanders before becoming a dynasty. Oilers were talented, but in 1983, they still lost 4-0 to the more resilient and experienced Islanders. They learned from that and came back the very next year to win 4-1 against the same Islanders.

That's one of the reasons I always laugh at people who say it's either the Stanley cup or they want to finish dead last in order to draft higher. Last year's run will be way more beneficial to the Habs than a top 10 pick at the draft would have been. And we got a promising player at#26 anyways.

DailyKaizen

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay the price...

We are off to our best start in over 50 years. There were quite a few changes this summer. What is the biggest difference for us so far this season and what do you expect it will be by season's end ?

-Complete revamping of the defense
-Murray -> Tinordi
-Bouillon -> Beaulieu
-Diaz -> Weaver
-Gorges -> Gilbert
-LD+RD scheme for each pairings
-Gallant -> Lacroix
-Replacing our goon with Malhotra allowing Plekanec to play a more offensive role
-Acquiring the missing top 6 winger we needed while getting rid of the 6th C we didn't with the Brière->PAP swap.
-Maturity of our young players (Subban with a steadier game defensively, Galchenyuk blossoming into a star)
-Our depth (never seen this many good players sitting with Bournival, Sekac, Beaulieu, Tinordi)
-Something else?
-All of the above ?

I personally like how the team has been improving over the past few games. Rangers are struggling a little and with some time to practice we keep looking better. Is it possible that Lacroix is making a big difference ? We don't hear too many things about him.

All of the above from the OP and what everyone else responded have indeed been a net positive for our glorious team!

I shall submit to you that the biggest factor was, is...and will always be the philosophy of "character" and "no excuses" What we are seeing now is exponential growth brought forward by the philosophy being much more natural, adopted and adhered to by the entire team. All units, teams benefit supremely from being animated by the same spirit and mentality throughout its ranks. Habs are in the zone because they are now automatically adhering to the coach's system as if it was second nature...before we had too many weak links stuffing up the motor...now our weak links would/could get top mins on many teams...I fear that come playoff time the tank will be empty...but hey improvise, adapt and overcome is the mentality of everyone on the Canadiens and it shows...big time!

Saintpatrick*

Galchenyuk break out year
Pleks able to fill a more offensive roll
Malholtra and PAP great acquisitions .

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The biggest difference is probably not having Bouillon and Murray in the lineup as well as the lines clicking right now. The latter really helped win the first handful of games where Price and the defense were bad.

Let's not forget the fact that the team has a 4th line that can actually play in its own end, opening up offensive zone situations for offensive players.

It also helps that the East is arguably worse than last season.

It is arguable. The Isles, Wings. Sens, Capitals, and even the Sabres look better. Most important, the Habs are better,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad