Biggest comeback to make the playoffs

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Inspired by the 10/11 NJD - though they most likely will come short

From lottery pick in January to 7th/8th seed in May ...
What were the biggest comebacks to clinch a playoff spot in NHL history?

Alain Racette

Jun 18, 2005
Are this season's Flames a possible contender? They were near the bottom for a bit. They started to soar once Feaster took over and now they're doing quite well.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
It was hard to be too far out of the playoffs historically, since some very bad records could make the playoffs. Most of NHL history saw 4 of 6, 8 of 12, 16 of 21 teams make the playoffs.

The 1981 Oilers started 8-21-6, but were only 8 points back of the 4th Smythe playoff spot. The 88 Leafs had a .325 points % and made it in.

mco543

Aug 14, 2006
Didn't a late 80's Devils team make a great run to get into the post-season or am i mistaken?

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
I know the 58/59 Leafs were way back and proceeded to comeback and make the playoffs on the last night of the regular season. To add to that, they upset Boston in 7 and even took a game off the Habs in the finals.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Didn't a late 80's Devils team make a great run to get into the post-season or am i mistaken?

Yes but they don't seem to have ever been more than 5 or so points back of 4th place.

I know the 58/59 Leafs were way back and proceeded to comeback and make the playoffs on the last night of the regular season. To add to that, they upset Boston in 7 and even took a game off the Habs in the finals.

Farthest back I saw for them was 9 pts on Nov 29.

pnep seems to have posted a helpful chart here:
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=30767435&postcount=16

Last edited:

TasteofFlames

May 29, 2008
Athens, GA
NJD
1st Half: 10-29-2 22 pts 26.8%
2nd Half: 19-2-2 40 pts 86.9%

Difference: +60%

By far the biggest ever if they keep up their current pace.

As a point of reference, the Washington run from a few years ago that we all thought was amazing featured only a 24% increase in win%.

1st half: 41g 37 pts 45%
2nd half 41g 57 pts 69%

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
NJD
1st Half: 10-29-2 22 pts 26.8%
2nd Half: 19-2-2 40 pts 86.9%

Difference: +60%

By far the biggest ever if they keep up their current pace.

Well like in most huge fluctuations in a season, the Devils were not as bad as the 1st half and are not as good as their 2nd half the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

They would need 26 points in their last 18 games to reach 88 points (the 8th spot last year).

Even more important though is that they still need to jump over 3 more teams to get to that 8th spot. I think Atlanta is out so If you include them it's 4.

It will be very interesting to watch but in the end they might fall short by 6 points IMO.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Like someone said, they weren't far back in 1988 but it was the tear that they went on in the final 10 games that catapulted them into the playoffs. In the last 10 games they were 8-1-1 while winning the final 5. They needed an overtime win - not even a tie - in Chicago to make the playoffs and they did it when John MacLean scored the overtime winner. Pretty dramatic I'd say and I think that was a great comeback since there was such a small margin of error in that window

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Through 66 games in 1996-97, the Senators were 21-32-13 (compare that to 22-34-9 through 65 games currently), and finished the season on a 10-4-2 run to grab 7th.

Though the fact that 31 wins and 77 points was enough to make the playoffs speaks volumes about how much more difficult it is today.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Like someone said, they weren't far back in 1988 but it was the tear that they went on in the final 10 games that catapulted them into the playoffs. In the last 10 games they were 8-1-1 while winning the final 5. They needed an overtime win - not even a tie - in Chicago to make the playoffs and they did it when John MacLean scored the overtime winner. Pretty dramatic I'd say and I think that was a great comeback since there was such a small margin of error in that window

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3RbMtyv9r8

In that final five they also had to beat the Rangers once and Pens twice when both teams were almost as hot as NJ was. They ended up ahead of Pittsburgh by one and beat NYR on a tiebreaker for their first playoff berth.

Once there they beat the Isles in 6, Caps in 7, and lost to the Bruins in Game 7 of the Wales Conference Finals.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Through 66 games in 1996-97, the Senators were 21-32-13 (compare that to 22-34-9 through 65 games currently), and finished the season on a 10-4-2 run to grab 7th.

Though the fact that 31 wins and 77 points was enough to make the playoffs speaks volumes about how much more difficult it is today.

Three point games have made it a lot more difficult for a team on the outside looking in to jump teams in front of them, that's for sure.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Looking at the Devils' current record makes me think. Honestly, how incredibly bad was that team for the first 40 games of the season? They are 19-3-2 in their last 24 games, and they STILL have a losing record. They were on pace to be one of the worst teams of all-time.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

I disagree. Have we dismissed everything pre-lockout to the point that even 1997 is considered "easier" back then?

Three point games don't make it any harder now then it was back then. ALL teams have the luxury of those extra points games. Just like all teams didn't have that luxury in 1997 if you want to call it a luxury.

1997 was a weird year in a way. There wasn't a dominant team and there wasn't a laughingstock. Boston was worst in the NHL with 61 points. Colorado best with 107. There were tons of teams in the 75-85 point range that year. Only one year earlier in the Eastern conference the Devils missed the playoffs in the East while getting 86 points. Last year in the Eastern Conference an 87 point team (Rangers) missed the playoffs while an 88 point team (Flyers) narrowly made it. The more things change the more they stay the same eh?

In 1997 61.5% of the teams made the playoffs.
In 2011 53.5% of the teams will make the playoffs.

Barely, if any, difference

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Well like in most huge fluctuations in a season, the Devils were not as bad as the 1st half and are not as good as their 2nd half the truth lies somewhere in the middle.They would need 26 points in their last 18 games to reach 88 points (the 8th spot last year).

Even more important though is that they still need to jump over 3 more teams to get to that 8th spot. I think Atlanta is out so If you include them it's 4.

It will be very interesting to watch but in the end they might fall short by 6 points IMO.

In most cases true, but not this one.

Yes, the Devils were that bad in the first half.

Yes, they have been that good in the second half.

In their last 12 games they have allowed 13 goals. Nine of those games with their backup goalie.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
In most cases true, but not this one.

Yes, the Devils were that bad in the first half.

Yes, they have been that good in the second half.

In their last 12 games they have allowed 13 goals. Nine of those games with their backup goalie.

They have been impressive in their 2nd half no doubt but a closer look at the teams they played makes it look easier than it might have been say had they played in the western conference.

4 games against both Florida teams, twice against an injury depleted Pitt team, its been a bit of a perfect storm as well for them.

Like I said in the beginning of my 1st post, they were not as bad of a team as their 1st half record indicated nor are they as good as a team as their 2nd half indicates, its one of those statistical anomalies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They have been impressive in their 2nd half no doubt but a closer look at the teams they played makes it look easier than it might have been say had they played in the western conference.

4 games against both Florida teams, twice against an injury depleted Pitt team, its been a bit of a perfect storm as well for them.Like I said in the beginning of my 1st post, they were not as bad of a team as their 1st half record indicated nor are they as good as a team as their 2nd half indicates, its one of those statistical anomalies.

You realize Tampa is a first place team in their division, right? And Pittsburgh is 4th in the conference? Beat Bruins in Boston tonight, stopping their 7 game win streak.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
It probably isn't the greatest comeback of all-time but it's still a nice achievement. In 2001-2002, Habs won 7 games in a row to secure a playoff spot after game 80. They lost the last two games of the season and made the playoff by two points.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005

That was 77 points without loser points or shootouts. They lost 2 OT games, which today they would've gotten 2 points for. Plus, the 15 games that ended in a tie would've gone to a shootout today for a chance at an extra point. If they win half of those then they finish around 86 or 87 points; not that far off how many it takes to finish 8th these days.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
You realize Tampa is a first place team in their division, right? And Pittsburgh is 4th in the conference? Beat Bruins in Boston tonight, stopping their 7 game win streak.

Yes TB is 1st in a weak division, still not a great team and Pitt is without their 2 best players, not nearly the team they could be, the win tonight aside.

NJ's run has been great but they just would not have been able to do it if they played in the Western conference.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes TB is 1st in a weak division, still not a great team and Pitt is without their 2 best players, not nearly the team they could be, the win tonight aside.

NJ's run has been great but they just would not have been able to do it if they played in the Western conference.

They beat San Jose and Dallas. I believe they are in the west, not that I see what that has to do with the topic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad