Biggest bottler in the world right now?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
WOuldn't call Zaza a bottler... as he's just a terrible player and only reason he was called up is because he plays for Juve.

It's Higuain.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
1st miss in penalties TBH. We forget easily 2013 semis eh?

1st player to ever retire.

You can't compare Messi to any old player. You need to compare him to the greats and I don't recall any of them quitting at such an early age from international football after missing a penalty.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Pele didn't want to play at the 1970 WC because they kicked the crap out of him in 1966, then he stopped playing international football at 31 years old. Scholes retired from England at 30 years old too, Shearer at 29. Maldini retired after being eliminated by South Korea, never got to win a tournament with Italy. You know what, people can do whatever they want. They don't owe any of us anything.

Retiring himself by cheating the way Maradona did though is beyond the pale and the fat drug addict should shut his mouth.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
It's Higuain. If he could finish the numerous chances he had and used the space Messi created for him then Argentina would've rolled over Chile.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You can't compare Messi to any old player. You need to compare him to the greats and I don't recall any of them quitting at such an early age from international football after missing a penalty.

Gerd Mueller retired early from NT football. As did Netzer. And Effenberg. And countless others.

Blaming Messi for his incompetent FA is silly.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Labeling Messi a bottler is dumb enough, but labeling him "the biggest bottler in the World" is quite possibly the dumbest thing you could possibly say. Incredibly dumb if you're a Madridista considering what he's done in Clasicos.

Blaming Messi for his incompetent FA is silly.

Thing is he thinks Messi retired because he missed the penalty.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Ok let's agree to disagree. Let me ask this question, if Messi scored and won the Copa with Argentina this year do you think he would have still retired?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Ok let's agree to disagree. Let me ask this question, if Messi scored and won the Copa with Argentina this year do you think he would have still retired?

Who knows?

But Messi isn't a bottler, it is ludicrous to suggest

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

There's has been players that retire early and there has been players never to win an international tournament for their country yet still are considered the best of the best.

Neither of which have anything to do with being a bottler...which is someone that folds under pressure. Messi has CLEARLY shown he can handle it play great.

Possibly, staff are not being paid and even during the good times in Copa he went out of his was to trash them. So, it could've been on the cards the whole time. Mind the narratives would have been different had they won and he "retired".

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Pele didn't want to play at the 1970 WC because they kicked the crap out of him in 1966, then he stopped playing international football at 31 years old. Scholes retired from England at 30 years old too, Shearer at 29. Maldini retired after being eliminated by South Korea, never got to win a tournament with Italy. You know what, people can do whatever they want. They don't owe any of us anything.

Retiring himself by cheating the way Maradona did though is beyond the pale and the fat drug addict should shut his mouth.

Pele was a whiner and still is, but he was butchered in '66. The refs virtually let other teams go mental on him, without any repercussions. He skipped the '70 tour because he felt the world didn't appreciate him enough and he was right in a way. Maldini is similar to an extent, he retired because he thought Italy was robbed blind (and he was right) by the ref. Pride is a tough pill to swallow.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Pele was a whiner and still is, but he was butchered in '66. The refs virtually let other teams go mental on him, without any repercussions. He skipped the '70 tour because he felt the world didn't appreciate him enough and he was right in a way. Maldini is similar to an extent, he retired because he thought Italy was robbed blind (and he was right) by the ref. Pride is a tough pill to swallow.

He was injured against Portugal and because there were no substitutions back then, he finished the game with basically on one leg. He could only kick with his left leg(between 4:37 and 5:7):

I've seen clips of him hobbling around the pitch before but it still both makes me whince seeing play on and also amazed at what he was still able to do with his inferior leg. :amazed:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad