Biggest blown calls by referees

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Can't find the video of it but in Game 7 of the cup finals (Canes vs. Oilers) there was a badly blown call in the dying seconds of the first period. The Canes actually scored a goal but due to all the commotion in and around the crease it was called off. At the very least, the canes should have gotten a penalty shot out of the play due to staois covering/attempting to cover the puck in the crease. However, all the canes ended up with was a PP which was from a delayed call that happened well before the action near the net.

Quote describing the play:
NHL AVOIDS EMBARRASSMENT: The Canes' victory was good news for the league, which faced the embarrassment of a badly blown call that cost the Hurricanes a goal late in the first period.

With the Canes in possession and a delayed penalty call awaiting against the Oilers, Craig Adams took a shot that Jussi Markkanen saved into the air and off the post. The puck landed behind Markkanen and Steve Staios appeared to close his hand on the puck in the crease as he swept it across the goal line.

Referee Brad Watson pointed to center ice to indicate a penalty shot, while Bill McCreary waved the play dead with 4.1 seconds left in the period.

One replay showed conclusively that the puck was across the goal line while under Staios' stomach, but after a lengthy video review, the league ruled that Staios hit the puck in the air, thereby stopping the play because of the penalty.

In a statement, NHL director of officiating Stephen Walkom said the play was ruled dead because the delayed penalty "required play to be stopped at the moment when control was achieved by the batting of the puck by Staios.

mooseOAK*

They were jobbed of an automatic 5 minute major which would have put the best player in the game on the bench and to make matters worse, during the time he should have been off, he scores the goal.

I don't think that it was a blown call, like a mistake, I think that Fraser just didn't have the courage to make it against Gretzky particularly in that situation.

Coolix

Jan 6, 2007
Canada
Let's just make a couple things clear here.

#1 - Even without Hull's goal, Buffalo is NOT the better team over Dallas. I'm sorry Buffalo fans, the words Scott Norwood, Music City Miracle and Brett Hull enrage you but that team simply was not deep enough to beat Dallas.

#2 - For the umpteenth time, Montreal would not have lost to Toronto that year. As a Leaf fan, that bugs me about '93 that we claim we would have won the Cup yet we got embarrassed and couldnt even beat an 87 point team at home in Game #7.

#3 - Flyers fans, the Isles were better in '80, it was their time. Three Cups after that proved it.

Yes these teams got a little bit of luck on their side but they were the better teams even with a horrific call by the ref.

I agree with Kovalev though. I have always been against his cowardly actions. I feel it is no coincidence that he is right in the middle of two of the most controversial playoff goals of all time ('04 is the other)

Cool, you were able to see what would've happened :shakehead.

Once bounce could've changed any one of those games

HFPM

Mar 25, 2006
Leduc...
www.fortybelow.ca

The fact that Hemsky got screwed out of that goal, and was the one to score after Stefan's epic screwup, single-handedly made me a believer in karma.

Actually, that's Ryan Smyth sliding to knock the puck in.

The first Dallas goal that game was nearly as bad. Eric Lindros clearly bowled over Dwayne Roloson and then got a pass from his teammate and scored into a wide open net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad