• HHOF induction

Votes: 98 63.6%
  • The number retired by a team

Votes: 56 36.4%

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Depends on the franchise. I'd say HHOF, even the Leafs as an O6 franchise have non-HHOFers up (Wendell Clark) and the other non-HHOF is due to a tragic accident (Bill Barillko).

Personally, I wish the Leafs standard was be inducted into the HHOF, and be strongly identified with the Leafs. Jays had a similar standard for Baseball which was the number only got retired if you got into the Hall of Fame as a Jay, and had a Jay's Cap on the plaque (although that got changed for Halladay who went in with a blank cap).

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Depends on the franchise. I'd say HHOF, even the Leafs as an O6 franchise have non-HHOFers up (Wendell Clark) and the other non-HHOF is due to a tragic accident (Bill Barillko).

Personally, I wish the Leafs standard was be inducted into the HHOF, and be strongly identified with the Leafs. Jays had a similar standard for Baseball which was the number only got retired if you got into the Hall of Fame as a Jay, and had a Jay's Cap on the plaque (although that got changed for Halladay who went in with a blank cap).
Jays system is awful. Almost 50 years of existence and they got one player number retired and nobody from their World Series winners… for reasons. But still.

Why should the Hall of Fame dictate what your franchise does? A franchise should decide for themselves, not count on some guys who weren’t around your teams or players.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A lot of HHoF inductions are fairly contentious these days, with the number retirements it really depends on the franchise.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jays system is awful. Almost 50 years of existence and they got one player number retired and nobody from their World Series winners… for reasons. But still.

Why should the Hall of Fame dictate what your franchise does? A franchise should decide for themselves, not count on some guys who weren’t around your teams or players.
Alomar's number is retired, just not honored. He's in Baseball Hall of Fame as a Jay. Jays will never issue 12 again.

I just find a ton of somewhat good players on their teams during bad eras get glorified and teams end up hanging way too many jerseys of good but not great players. I think it damages the prestige of it. The same way about hanging banners that aren't titles (which the Jays do, especially their embarrassing wild card round combined banner). Obvious exceptions for situations like Bailey, Barrilko, Malik Seeley, Reggie Lewis, etc.

Edit: I guess they issued Hicks 12 last year, I was under the impression Alomar's number would never issued again, just not honored. They must have changed that policy.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think HHOF is better because number retirement is just for a specific team and could mean you were just there for a long time or something (e.g. Doan), whereas HHOF means you were a historically good overall player

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Generally speaking, number retirement.

HHOF is a bit whatever. I'm not sure how many people actually care. Number retirement is an actual action taken.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Poll options are insufficient, this 100% depends on franchise. Personally, my bar for jersey retirement starts with needing to be a hall of famer, but I get not all franchises agree with that

HHOF is a bit whatever. I'm not sure how many people actually care. Number retirement is an actual action taken.
Huh? What does this mean? Action taken? No action taken with HHOF?

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

Halladay went up with a blank cap because that's what was chosen for him posthumously.

He had previously implied he wanted to go in a Jays cap though, when asked by a reporter he said "there is no question what team it will be" . But it is what it is

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Halladay went up with a blank cap because that's what was chosen for him posthumously.

He had previously implied he wanted to go in a Jays cap though, when asked by a reporter he said "there is no question what team it will be" . But it is what it is
I know what happened, his wife requested it, and unlike some other scenarios the hall didn't overrule her (like Gary Carter asking to go in as a Met).

Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Poll options are insufficient, this 100% depends on franchise. Personally, my bar for jersey retirement starts with needing to be a hall of famer, but I get not all franchises agree with that

Huh? What does this mean? Action taken? No action taken with HHOF?
Yeah. What does it matter, in practice, that someone is in HHOF? It's an empty technicality. A jersey retirement means that no one else will use that jersey. Something with actual consequences. Something away from someone else.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
We have had come questionable numbers retired by teams and numbers have been unretired when someone asked for that number--Hall of fame only gets taken away if your name is Alan Eagelson

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I say HHOF but I say that as a fan of the Capitals who inexplicably retired Yvon Labre's #7 but haven't retired the #'s of Peter Bondra or Olie Kolzig. Labre only averaged 48 GP over 7 seasons with the team only playing 371 games in his entire NHL career with 101 points and a -93. How is that worthy of a retired number?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Yeah. What does it matter, in practice, that someone is in HHOF? It's an empty technicality. A jersey retirement means that no one else will use that jersey. Something with actual consequences. Something away from someone else.
Ahh, I see. As a player, I'd guess most would look at both similarly, but then again, as I suggest, when you are getting your jersey retired you are already a hall of famer. If you had to pick one or the other.....it's not without doubt, but I'd go with hall of fame. People from everywhere can see you as a hall of famer, see your plaque amongst all the other all-time greats. The Jersey thing, no one outside the city would care or see much of it....I get it would have a lot of meaning for the player though because you aren't getting that treatment if you didn't spend most of your playing career in that city.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
depends on the franchise, different ones have wildly different standards for it

I voted for number retirement beeause i'm a Wings fan and the Wings only have 8 numbers officially retired all of which are also in the hall of fame

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
In general, HHOF induction would be a bigger honor. But for some teams, like O6 franchises, I think it would be the number retirement.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Which was an awful decision by Cooperstown.

Blackhawks typically only retire numbers of guys who made the HHOF. Magnuson was an exception, since he died tragically. Recently they changed their "rules" tho, pretty much to a accommodate a guy like Seabrook or Sharp who won't make the HHOF but were core guys for multiple championship teams.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Which was an awful decision by Cooperstown.

Blackhawks typically only retire numbers of guys who made the HHOF. Magnuson was an exception, since he died tragically. Recently they changed their "rules" tho, pretty much to an accommodate a guy like Seabrook or Sharp who won't make the HHOF but were core guys for multiple championship teams.
What makes you think they changed their rules recently to accommodate seabrook and sharp? To me it remains to be seen.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What makes you think they changed their rules recently to accommodate seabrook and sharp? To me it remains to be seen.

There’s zero chance either are getting in the Hall if that’s what you’re implying

Crow

May 19, 2014
There’s zero chance either are getting in the Hall if that’s what you’re implying
No I’m not implying that they have a chance to make the HHOF. Neither has had their number retired yet and I’m unaware of any plans for that to happen.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No I’m not implying that they have a chance to make the HHOF. Neither has had their number retired yet and I’m unaware of any plans for that to happen.

Apologies, I read the other poster’s comment as if they were already retired. I thought they had done a double number retirement with Chelios and Seabrook like the Bathgate/Graves one in NY, and just assumed I missed news of a Sharp retirement.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
HHOF.

Poor Shane Doan, had his number retired and the franchise moves after throwing his banner in the dumpster

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Crow

May 19, 2014
Apologies, I read the other poster’s comment as if they were already retired. I thought they had done a double number retirement with Chelios and Seabrook like the Bathgate/Graves one in NY, and just assumed I missed news of a Sharp retirement.
I really think they should have done a dual number retirement considering seabrook was a huge part of 3 cups and has played the 3rd most games in franchise history. The hawks have also had a dual number retirement before. That they didn’t suggests to me that neither he nor sharp will get that honor. Corey Crawford should also be in that group that almost but didn’t quite make it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

• Player must be retired for at least three years, which doesn't include long-term injured reserve
  • Minimum of eight years and 500 games played with the Blackhawks for skaters; 400 games played with the team for goaltenders
  • Hockey Hall of Famer or has played at least 1,000 games (700 for a goaltender)
  • Played more games with the Blackhawks than any other team during NHL career
  • Among the most prolific Blackhawks at his position, as evidenced by on-ice performance, All-Star selections and major NHL Awards
  • Exhibited (and continues to exhibit) strong off-ice character
  • Changed the game of hockey
  • Additional consideration will be given to members of the Stanley Cup winning teams with the Blackhawks, along with the entire body of work by a player to the organization, which includes time as a broadcaster and ambassador

Reactions: Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad