Big players who could skate like the wind

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I am going to draw the line around the size of someone like Mike Modano. 6'3" 210lbs. or so was his usual playing weight. He was considered "big" and he's a good barometer. We all know Modano could skate like the wind when the system he played in Dallas let him do so. Honestly, an underrated skater in NHL history because it was a thing of beauty when he was in full stride. Plus he was such a rare player to be that size and skate so fast.

Who else is there? I remember Paul Kariya talking after the 2002 Olympics how he couldn't believe just how fast Mario was out there. He said that he could "flat out fly". Now, this was an older Mario too.

Does he apply here? You look at some highlights of him and one thing about him is that he had gears. When he had to he could get end to end pretty quickly, he just did it so fluidly. Watch how quick he does it in the 1991 Cup final on that split defense goal.

Ovechkin is another name that comes to mind, as is Lindros. Ovechkin especially of course. He's participated in the fastest skater events at the All-Star games and we've all seen his highlights. He's fast. How about Lindros. I think he had a very healthy stride and it never looked like he was going as fast as he was, but I think there are good videos of him with good speed. Check this one out in his rookie season at 9:50 into the video:

Trevor Linden in his early playing days I can remember him with some pretty good speed in Vancouver. Early to mid 1990s. Pretty good for a big guy. But does he apply here?

I know I will miss someone obvious, but who is it that had blazing speed for a big guy?

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Quite a few enforcers had some decent jets

Donald Brashear was one

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The thing is, a lot of these big guys don't look fast because they're so big. Mario is the classic example. Even when he was young, he often looked to be floating out there, but if you were a defender trying to stop him he would seem to be super-fast.

Reactions: Rogue Winger

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The first name that came to mind when I read the thread title was Mario.

He was deceptively fast but his deadliest weapon, as already pointed out, was his ability to change gears quickly and when he had to get to open ice or get past at defender, he could quickly accelerate and be gone.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The first name that came to mind is Chad Kilger.
I'm also absolutely not joking.

Hmmmm.............I remember him having a heavy shot on the Leafs, but I definitely don't remember him with noticeable speed

I think Kovalchuk and Robinson are appropriate. Jason Chimera as well.

How on earth did Chimera never score more than 20 goals or 42 points in a season. He always seemed to have a job, because if you can skate like that you usually do. But maybe not the full toolbox?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
39-year-old Marleau is 6'2, 220 lbs. and soars effortlessly up ice. Last season he beat young Marner on counterattack surges. His stride is so efficient he glides at top speed by the time he hits the blueline.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Eric Staal. 6'4 and 210. Was always an outstanding and fluid skater for his size

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Haha, first to realize Fedorov was no peewee.

Also, Bill Guerin won the fastest skater comp, and he was a big chunk of meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Haha, first to realize Fedorov was no peewee.

Also, Bill Guerin won the fastest skater comp, and he was a big chunk of meat.

Fedorov is generally listed as a bit smaller than the guidelines posted by Big Phil. He isn't the first one mentioned though I guess. I hope that most people are aware that Fedorov wasn't small or even of average size.

Early career Serge Savard would be another player for this thread.

I'm a bit curious about the Conachers, who were smaller than the listed size but for their era were roughly equivalent I think. Were any of them particularly fast? Serge Savard, though a bit light

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
How on earth did Chimera never score more than 20 goals or 42 points in a season. He always seemed to have a job, because if you can skate like that you usually do. But maybe not the full toolbox?

We used to call him stone hands.

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
Fedorov is generally listed as a bit smaller than the guidelines posted by Big Phil. He isn't the first one mentioned though I guess. I hope that most people are aware that Fedorov wasn't small or even of average size.

Unless we go back to 80's standards I would think "big player" in hockey to be at least 6'3"

Fedorov is just under, but I guess it's up to the OP for defining what he meant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad