OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Does ColePens Dream of Electric Dance Music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
neo-geo-pocket-color-ngp_zpshrvdepw4.jpg~original

Last edited:

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
Anyone have a Sega Master system ? Back in the old days my uncle was the only one who I knew did

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
you want to talk about not aging well, go watch some Triumph clips.

boom, roasted :p:

Hey, i resent that!

Some of his humor is indeed based on people/ targets that fade away but Smigel also dumped gold.

I wonder if Family Guy will age well because of this actuality factor, lots of references there... I like that show more than the Simpsons but...

Time.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I like all three.

Also song.

I've got room in this big ol brain for 'em all, too. Barely. I guess I don't watch nearly as many movies as I used to.

Though I mostly keep it to guitars and video games. Like that old song.

And lately monophonic analog subtractive synthesis. Fun! So many knobs, sliders, switches and buttons...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think FF7 aged very well for the most part. Battles and Cut scenes still look good. Its just walking around on the map that is rough, and they made that look pretty cartoony. And the backgrounds still look good. I think 8 looks worse than 7.

11750-final-fantasy-vii-windows-screenshot-first-battle.jpg

That's still a decent looking screenshot compared to a lot of games of the time.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno. I got it a few months ago as a gift on Steam and it seemed really, really, really rough and clunky, to me. I couldn't get much more than a few hours into it. I really loved FFVII, too. And, for the record, I went back recently and happily replayed all of FFIV and FFVI.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I dunno. I got it a few months ago as a gift on Steam and it seemed really, really, really rough and clunky, to me. I couldn't get much more than a few hours into it. I really loved FFVII, too. And, for the record, I went back recently and happily replayed all of FFIV and FFVI.

Well IV is just a better game, and IV is absolutely gorgeous. VII definitely looks aged, but not nearly as bad as a lot of early 3D games.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I think VII looks awful now, certainly not the worst of the era by any stretch, but it's much harder to play than VI or IX. Mind you the last time I tried to play it was on my 55" TV, so the imperfections were magnified to the point that it hurt to look at. It's completely acceptable when played on my Vita.

VIII sucks, so whatever. Shut the **** up, Zell.

edit: I confused FFIV with FFIII for some reason, nevermind. There's a reason III took 16 years to get localized.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well IV is just a better game, and IV is absolutely gorgeous. VII definitely looks aged, but not nearly as bad as a lot of early 3D games.

That's probably fair.

It's funny thinking back about games even as semi-recent as Morrowind (2003 - man... I'm old) and realizing that, at the time, you thought that was the be-all end-all in graphics. "Wow... that water looks almost real!" Stuff like that. Today... it's laughable. Although for that PARTICULAR game... mods can do some surprisingly impressive stuff.

Anyway, I assume the same will be said about Witcher 3 in a few years. Or whatever title you want to pull out of the hat.

And yeah... FFVIII is where I left the series for good. To be fair... I think I had just about had my fill of JRPGs in general, at that point. And that's still mostly-true to this day. And also... I don't care what anyone says... the first three Final Fantasy games sucked. Unless you were a glutton for punishment.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The weird thing about the Dreamcast being in-between generations is that many of its games have aged better than those in the generations it book-ended. Not all, of course, but...
jsr-1.jpg

compared to
437212-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-xbox-screenshot-imperial-garrisons.jpg

Mind you a lot of that is that Dreamcast games tended to be far more colorful than most XBox & PS2 games.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
The Dreamcast had some of the most visually appealing games ever.

I'd bet nobody can name my favorite one though..
kwxax.jpg

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
The Japanese PS2 version of Rez actually came with a vibrator as a peripheral. If that's not the best gaming accessory of all time, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think VII looks awful now, certainly not the worst of the era by any stretch, but it's much harder to play than VI or IX. Mind you the last time I tried to play it was on my 55" TV, so the imperfections were magnified to the point that it hurt to look at. It's completely acceptable when played on my Vita.

VIII sucks, so whatever. Shut the **** up, Zell.

edit: I confused FFIV with FFIII for some reason, nevermind. There's a reason III took 16 years to get localized.

FFVI is the best FF.

And ya, I haven't tried FF7 on anything bigger than my computer monitor.

I lied. Tactics is the best Final Fantasy. Then VI, then IV.

I don't like any of 1-3. I like 7 and 9. I don't know if I like 8 because the draw system is so stupid I have never gotten through the first disc. I like 10 a lot actually. 12 was OK, but so easy to overlevel and then you don't actually play the game anymore. Skipped 13 because I've heard nothing but bad things. I want them to stop trying to do exciting new things and just make games like 4-10 minus 8. They aren't identical, but none of them are majorly different either.

Last edited:

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome, I don't think I ever posted here before but I can get into a video game chat, I'm a huge gamer! :nod:

Sega systems were underrated, I only owned three of them, the Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast (four if you include the Game Gear) and they were all fun. I was a child so it was always Sonic and Mario for me in the 90's.

I always preferred Nintendo though, I just liked everything they had to offer. Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Pokemon, just years of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad