OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Choppin' Broccoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Stupid gym ideas #304 - don't try to use the leg curls and leg extension machines as a substitute for real honest squats when there's a line for the power rack and barbells. My IT band is killing me and my knees are ready to follow suit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Stupid gym ideas #304 - don't try to use the leg curls and leg extension machines as a substitute for real honest squats when there's a line for the power rack and barbells. My IT band is killing me and my knees are ready to follow suit.

Unless you have very good leg strength and no knee issues, you should avoid those 100%. Stick to the squat rack or if you can't get to one, do goblet squats and call it a day knowing you at least were able to do some form of squat (does't even need to be goblet squat, so many variations without the squat rack).

My biggest pet peeve is seeing people load up machines and then doing pretend reps thinking they're pumping hard and that they're hard core for being able to do such a high weight, regardless of doing reps that don't even resemble even a half rep really. I saw this guy with about 820lbs on the leg press and he's not going 45 degrees, he's barely hitting half that, I'm watching him and just praying his legs snap for trying to look tough just so his dumb ass would learn.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Unless you have very good leg strength and no knee issues, you should avoid those 100%. Stick to the squat rack or if you can't get to one, do goblet squats and call it a day knowing you at least were able to do some form of squat (does't even need to be goblet squat, so many variations without the squat rack).

My biggest pet peeve is seeing people load up machines and then doing pretend reps thinking they're pumping hard and that they're hard core for being able to do such a high weight, regardless of doing reps that don't even resemble even a half rep really. I saw this guy with about 820lbs on the leg press and he's not going 45 degrees, he's barely hitting half that, I'm watching him and just praying his legs snap for trying to look tough just so his dumb ass would learn.

Yeah, I hadn't used either for years (probably since HS) and didn't know they are, like Smith machines, essentially body destroyers and now condemned by every physio in the world. :laugh: :cry: Lesson learned, not touching those f***ers with a ten foot pole from now on.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I hadn't used either for years (probably since HS) and didn't know they are, like Smith machines, essentially body destroyers and now condemned by every physio in the world. :laugh: :cry: Lesson learned, not touching those ****ers with a ten foot pole from now on.

Yeah, it's funny because physio used to use leg extensions as a means to strengthen your quads to pull your knee cap to its correct place, now they frown upon it after realizing that for years that was probably doing more damage to people that had weaker hamstrings that needed that to be strong already.

I remember in the 90's, I had hurt my knee pretty badly in a car wreck and I had to build my strength up in my left leg and the doctor had me to leg extensions, I could feel the strain and it didn't feel right, but I didn't question the doctor, I needed that pain to go away as soon as possible so I can go back to being active. Now that knee is pretty messed, there was a year or two where it'd just randomly give out when I'd be walking, those were fun.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've had multiple sandisk ultra Mirco SD's that have never failed on me.
Lexar ones on the other hand seemed to die on me every few months and the money was whatever, it was more the stuff I had on the SD cards that irked me, even more so because I was an Android user and pictures me and my gf took of art galleries, trips, etc were suddenly lost or barely recoverable.

Lexar to me is straight trash because of it.
Kingston even more so.

I currently have a 128gb Sandisk Ultra in my Tablet, I've had it for a good year now, has not let me down at all, it was so good in fact that I bought two, I use the other one as a means to just transfer files to instead of a thumb drive (which is just crap, I have a Lexar 128gb 3.0 Thumb drive, it crapped out on me after 3 months, like really? None of my stuff was recoverable).

Sandisk also makes 200gb. But I think 128gb should suffice, unless there's a fantastic deal on the 200gb.

I don't have the Switch, but there's no plug in for an external HD? I'd just get a portable one with 2TB and call it a day if that was the case. But the SD I am guessing slides into the tablet portion of Switch right?

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So I saw the Solo trailer, uh....the movie looks like it could be fun despite the fact that the lead actor is a terrible actor and even his voice can't invoke any kind of "emotion."

But the graphics and the other stuff looks distracting enough that it might be fun to watch. At the least, it might be refreshing like Rogue One where it's not a rehash of some old story.

Mission Impossible trailer looks awesome, can't wait for that one. Same for Infinity War.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
These NU fans are hilarious with their chants aimed at BC fans. Their band is right above my head too, noisy bastards :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have this one and it seems fine

I don't really know how to judge it aside from that it functions though.
Samsung Micro SD cards are very hit or miss. They are like in between the Lexar and Sandisk for reliability, I had a 64gb one that died on me after a year, after that I got the Sandisk ones and never bothered with any other company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad