Big exclusive interview with Hejda

EurolancheDavid

FULL INTERVIEW: http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=4501

You played 13 games and lost 6 of them since the end of the Winter Olympics. What is the current atmosphere on the team?

The mood is still good. I think we don´t have to worry about the playoffs. We focus on to be in the best position before its start – it means we should be over Chicago. The atmosphere isn´t negative. We would like to play solid in the following games. We don´t feel any pressure.

So you believe the team will play in the playoffs for sure?

I think it is for sure more or less. We will play 11 games and there is a big difference between us and 9th place. We all believe in the playoffs appearance. Now we focus to get home ice advantage for the first round.

Chicago Blackhawks will be likely your opponent. Have you talked about it yet in the locker room?

We will play against them on 90 %. In the last games with Chicago, our coaches were thinking about the tactic for our next mutual matchups in the playoffs. I would like to warn all fans that a hockey is different in the playoffs. It will be different in comparison with our mutual regular season games.

You lost previous three games and it happened only for the third time in the season. How would you evaluate them? What went wrong?

All of the games weren´t bad from our side. Boston didn´t overplay us much. The game was tied. When we talked about it with the coaches, we have agreed it was kind of playoffs game when you don´t have many goal scoring chances. It was about one-two goals. Maybe it was about a player who would stay in front of the opponent´s goalie, about dirty goals. Also we are missing three key players, but this isn´t excuse of course.

What is a difference between Roy and Sacco?

You can´t even compare them. It is like someone would ask what is a difference between Wartburg and Mercedes. (laugh) Big difference. Sacco had only one basic system that he asserted and he believed it had work. Roy can adapt and customize his system on every game. I have been always saying a good coach should know how to adapt his system on the players and not vice versa.

Do you talk about trade rumors in the locker room?

It isn´t right time now. Now, all trades have been done, the next movements will be after the season. They will rate all players, so the moves are actual during the draft.

Your contract will expire in one year. Haven´t be there some talks yet?

The same answer. It isn´t actual now. I don´t know if it will be actual in the summer or in the next season.

Join the Eurolanche via this form (http://eurolanche.com/join-us.html) and become a part of the biggest European Fan Club of the NHL team. You will get membership benefits without any charge. If you would like to get regular newsletters including information about upcoming meetings, contests and trips to Denver, don´t forget to add your email address during the registration process. Our Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eurolanche

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
another goodie!

What is a difference between Roy and Sacco?

You can´t even compare them. It is like someone would ask what is a difference between Wartburg and Mercedes. (laugh) Big difference. Sacco had only one basic system that he asserted and he believed it had work. Roy can adapt and customize his system on every game. I have been always saying a good coach should know how to adapt his system on the players and not vice versa.

... shocker..

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Attachments

• 1965_Wartburg_311_(991cc).jpg
    1965_Wartburg_311_(991cc).jpg
    239 KB · Views: 6
  • 130428135830-joe-sacco-single-image-cut.jpg
    130428135830-joe-sacco-single-image-cut.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 2

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That was fantastic, thank you.

So a couple things. Hejda was worried about getting traded last year. And although Roy won't admit it, they were thinking of playoff tactics in the last game against Chicago. Also liked that he said with the Avalanche he feels they can do anything.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That was fantastic, thank you.

So a couple things. Hejda was worried about getting traded last year. And although Roy won't admit it, they were thinking of playoff tactics in the last game against Chicago. Also liked that he said with the Avalanche he feels they can do anything.

I think they are thinking playoffs in every game. Trying some new tactics and strategies to see if they work. Of course they would like home ice, but they know they are very likely to get the #2 or 3 spot in the division. They might as well get preparing now and figure out what works.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I think they are thinking playoffs in every game. Trying some new tactics and strategies to see if they work. Of course they would like home ice, but they know they are very likely to get the #2 or 3 spot in the division. They might as well get preparing now and figure out what works.

#2 gets home ice in the first round

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
#2 gets home ice in the first round

I understand that... I was just saying that they know they are playing the Blackhawks in the 1st round, and while it would be nice to have home ice, preparing for the playoffs is just as important. It is pretty obvious they are trying some tweaks to the system to see if they work. In other words, it is better to see if these tweaks work or don't work in the regular season because costing them a game now doesn't hurt much, but costing a game in a 7 game series means a lot.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I understand that... I was just saying that they know they are playing the Blackhawks in the 1st round, and while it would be nice to have home ice, preparing for the playoffs is just as important. It is pretty obvious they are trying some tweaks to the system to see if they work. In other words, it is better to see if these tweaks work or don't work in the regular season because costing them a game now doesn't hurt much, but costing a game in a 7 game series means a lot.

Roy is too smart of a coach to ignore that fact. I'm not surprised at all that they're trying different things before the playoffs.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You guys absolutely rock with these interviews! I'm so impressed by what y'all have done with them and your trips over here. I'm also somewhat in awe of the guys on our team (past and present) for giving y'all the opportunity to do these interviews. They either won't do this **** for the Denver Post folks or they (the DP "journalists") are too lazy to try. I think it's the former.

Very cool all around.

Thanks for sharing them here. I keep wanting to explore your website more but stuff happens and I end up just checking hfboards for news and talk about the AVs. Keep up the awesome work!

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
In almost every Avalanche player interview I follow up on, I find distinct traces of Roy in them. He is in the players' minds. Even in the Landeskog interview on the Fan today (great to hear Landy say his home is Denver BTW), I heard him say the exact same things when it comes to their current position and whatnot. Roy has them all thinking the same strategy of thought, almost like putting horse blinders on them. I love it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
In almost every Avalanche player interview I follow up on, I find distinct traces of Roy in them. He is in the players' minds. Even in the Landeskog interview on the Fan today (great to hear Landy say his home is Denver BTW), I heard him say the exact same things when it comes to their current position and whatnot. Roy has them all thinking the same strategy of thought, almost like putting horse blinders on them. I love it.

That Landy interview was great, the best one I've heard from him I think. I'll put a link in the media thread. I agree, it doesn't come off as much as reiterating the company line but just having the same mindset.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
That Landy interview was great, the best one I've heard from him I think. I'll put a link in the media thread. I agree, it doesn't come off as much as reiterating the company line but just having the same mindset.
Yeah, just listened to it. Loved that Landy says he asks Sakic and Foote for advice on leadership if he needs help.

m0ngr31

So how many have publicly trashed Sacco now?

Stastny, EJ, now Hejda. Am I missing anyone?

Do you know where I can find those others at? I seem to remember EJ said Sacco was helping him a lot when he first got there, but that was years ago.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Do you know where I can find those others at? I seem to remember EJ said Sacco was helping him a lot when he first got there, but that was years ago.

At least in the DP, probably others. Stastny has talked about it many times how awful the last few years were, maybe didn't name Sacco but he's been pretty vocal. EJ said he was asked to play chip it up the wall hockey and if he deviated from that, even to create offense he'd get chastised for not chipping the pucks. Duchene said they were not playing to their strengths, not using the talent they had and even alluded to people purposely trying to hold him back without his best interests in mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad