Bettman/Season cancellation/scared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
So...Bettman says the season will be cancelled unless something is started to be penned up by the weekend? Weekend passes, no cancellation...

There was a meeting after the weekend (Monday). No cancellation afterwards...

News Conference set up for Tuesday...

News Conference pushed back to Wednesday...

Maybe this is being too positive...but...does this not seem strange? If there was no progress over the weekend, why meet Monday? If none of Monday, why not cancel Monday evening? Why not Tuesday? Why all the way to Wednesday?

I know many have given in to the idea of a cancelled season...I have as well in truth, but I like to think about ridiculous possibilities...

Could it be that they indeed made progress on the weekend with the mediator, continued Monday by discussing the potential deal (Daly/Saskin the minor details regarding ELS and whatnot, and Bob/Gary via conference call, or something regarding cap/lux tax/linkage?), and Tuesdays press conference was pushed back to allow for fine tuning? (although, in all fairness...there's time for fine tuning after you call the players back...although that's how the PA screwed the NHL last time...)

Come on...let's have some optimism before it's all over...

EDIT: Anyways, personally I believe Bettman is just terrified to cancel the season, because if he does it'll be an embarasment to sports in general, and it will destroy the NHL as a league. I think he's trying desperately (along with the PA...not just him...) to get something, but it's like clutching at sand for them...

EDIT #2: Please don't attack me, I'm simply bored, and wanted to toss out some nicer thoughts...I didn't say I believe them...lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
GregStack said:
So...Bettman says the season will be cancelled unless something is started to be penned up by the weekend? Weekend passes, no cancellation...

There was a meeting after the weekend (Monday). No cancellation afterwards...

News Conference set up for Tuesday...

News Conference pushed back to Wednesday...

Maybe this is being too positive...but...does this not seem strange? If there was no progress over the weekend, why meet Monday? If none of Monday, why not cancel Monday evening? Why not Tuesday? Why all the way to Wednesday?

I know many have given in to the idea of a cancelled season...I have as well in truth, but I like to think about ridiculous possibilities...

Could it be that they indeed made progress on the weekend with the mediator, continued Monday by discussing the potential deal (Daly/Saskin the minor details regarding ELS and whatnot, and Bob/Gary via conference call, or something regarding cap/lux tax/linkage?), and Tuesdays press conference was pushed back to allow for fine tuning? (although, in all fairness...there's time for fine tuning after you call the players back...although that's how the PA screwed the NHL last time...)

Come on...let's have some optimism before it's all over...

EDIT: Anyways, personally I believe Bettman is just terrified to cancel the season, because if he does it'll be an embarasment to sports in general, and it will destroy the NHL as a league. I think he's trying desperately (along with the PA...not just him...) to get something, but it's like clutching at sand for them...

EDIT #2: Please don't attack me, I'm simply bored, and wanted to toss out some nicer thoughts...I didn't say I believe them...lol
Thats easy .. Once the Season is cancelled then the NHLPA will say see you in September .. as long as the thought of a season remains the NHLPA remains around ..

If they do come to a deal then Bettman will say sorry not enought time for a season IMO ..

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
My guess is that there is trepidation on both sides because there is so much to lose for everyone. But as Bettman pointed out, at some point you owe to all parties involved to pull the plug soon. Can't leave everyone hanging forever. I dunno, maybe he's lying through his bloody teeth.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
The Messenger said:
Thats easy .. Once the Season is cancelled then the NHLPA will say see you in September .. as long as the thought of a season remains the NHLPA remains around ..

If they do come to a deal then Bettman will say sorry not enough time for a season IMO ..

I'd be tremendously happy if that happened, however there'd be some sort of shortened season stipulation in the CBA, so it's not like he'll be able to totally pull the wool over the PAs eyes...

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I'll field this one

When he set the "soft" drop dead date, he stated that he would cancel the season sometime this week if there was no deal in place by the weekend. There was no confusion over this, just the media jumping to conclusions and throwing around numbers to get the edge (i'm looking at you, Mojo Radio)

Weekend's over, so Gary says... Tuesday is the day. Touché, The Sutter funeral is also scheduled for Tuesday, so why have a press conference when one of hockey's most storied families is mourning the loss of a family member? He rolls it back to Wednesday when all else is sane.

Anyone is stupid not to think that the best deals out of this lockout wouldnt come until the last possible moment. I swear to god the thing will be signed on Noon Wednesday right before Bettman is to take the podium and issue his speech. I'm sure he'll be pissed because he had to go to all the trouble to write a speech and now has to pen a new one to celebrate the overwhelming victory for hockey.

No deadline, no deal. Plain and simple

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
futurcorerock said:
I'll field this one

When he set the "soft" drop dead date, he stated that he would cancel the season sometime this week if there was no deal in place by the weekend. There was no confusion over this, just the media jumping to conclusions and throwing around numbers to get the edge (i'm looking at you, Mojo Radio)

Weekend's over, so Gary says... Tuesday is the day. Touché, The Sutter funeral is also scheduled for Tuesday, so why have a press conference when one of hockey's most storied families is mourning the loss of a family member? He rolls it back to Wednesday when all else is sane.

Anyone is stupid not to think that the best deals out of this lockout wouldnt come until the last possible moment. I swear to god the thing will be signed on Noon Wednesday right before Bettman is to take the podium and issue his speech. I'm sure he'll be pissed because he had to go to all the trouble to write a speech and now has to pen a new one to celebrate the overwhelming victory for hockey.

No deadline, no deal. Plain and simple

I didn't know when the funeral was, foolish of me to overlook that...

I hope the last part is right, but hey, we'll see...

ResidentAlien*

GregStack said:
I'd be tremendously happy if that happened, however there'd be some sort of shortened season stipulation in the CBA, so it's not like he'll be able to totally pull the wool over the PAs eyes...
I dont know how/why anyone would be happy if the season was pulled. Just don't get that, sure it's been more frustrating then being at a hooker house on two-dollar tuesday with a dollar in your pocket, but come on, you would rather see them get a deal only to say.."whoops..too late" ..you can't be serious.

I have to say it will come down to the very last second..you'd be crazy not to think otherwise

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
GregStack said:
That may be true .. but don't forget it will take minimum 2 weeks from time of agreement till all the lawyering is done and papers etc ...That takes us to march .

The players are not going to get a lot of money for a short season but the big gain to both sides is that Sept 15th this year will be clear sailing .. Without a deal ..likely the fist 1/2 of next season is also in jeopardy ..

And we do not know if the players want a season or want an full season next year ..

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
ResidentAlien said:
I dont know how/why anyone would be happy if the season was pulled. Just don't get that, sure it's been more frustrating then being at a hooker house on two-dollar tuesday with a dollar in your pocket, but come on, you would rather see them get a deal only to say.."whoops..too late" ..you can't be serious.

I have to say it will come down to the very last second..you'd be crazy not to think otherwise

I mean happy to see the deal. I'd be ecstatic for a shortened season (I think the Leafs are a lock in a shortened one :) ). However I just want a deal reached so hockey comes back, sometime soon.

ResidentAlien*

GregStack said:
I mean happy to see the deal. I'd be ecstatic for a shortened season (I think the Leafs are a lock in a shortened one :) ). However I just want a deal reached so hockey comes back, sometime soon.

I guess I mis-understood....my apologies to you.
I confess I may be a little trigger happy :dunce:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
ResidentAlien said:
I guess I mis-understood....my apologies to you.
I confess I may be a little trigger happy :dunce:

That's my favourite part about HFboards...nailing people before they edit/correct themselves :) lol

uh oh...spelt correct incorrectly...I hope I got it before anyone saw...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
GregStack said:
I think a short season with panic moves to sign UFA and fill teams ..will result in bad contracts and go against what the NHL is attempting ..

Also integrety is an issue ... Some players like Kovalchuk is committed to the RSL for the year and Boston has only 8 players under contract .. How would we know if teams are not throwing games to get Crosby??

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Was the latest Saskin-Daly meeting the reason? Or was it that the league wanted to avoid a conflict with this afternoon's funeral of Louis Sutter, the 73-year-old father of former NHLers Brian, Darryl, Brent, Duane, Rich and Ron Sutter?

The answer is a combination of both scenarios. Several team executives are expected to attend the funeral at the Viking, Alta., Community Hall, and the league wants each team to hold news conferences later tomorrow.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050214.wnhl15/BNStory/Sports/

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
I basically said the same thing before, but it couldn't hurt to say it again. Until he comes out and saying the season is done and the owners start closing up shop on their teams for the year (which should happen almost immediately after the announcement), I still have hope.

I couldn't give a rat's tail what the media tells us about these negotiations, what their sources have alluded to, etc. Or what the principles in all of this choose (or in some cases don't choose) to tell us. It amounts to zero until they actively start to pursue a specific avenue, whether it's the cancellation or a new CBA.

Seemingly impossible deals have been resolved at the final buzzer, many times. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happens here. Of course I also won't be surprised if the season gets flushed (this whole farce has taken its toll on me, just like everyone else).

My advice: very briefly check for updates a couple times tomorrow. The rest of the time, put it out of your head and hope for the best. That's pretty much all we can do anyhow. No use in torturing yourself any more than necessary

Balej20*

The reason, or atleast one reason, why the press conference was pushed back from Tuesday to Wed. was because of the funeral of Louis Sutter, which is on Tuesday. (I believe)

ResidentAlien*

GregStack said:
That's my favourite part about HFboards...nailing people before they edit/correct themselves :) lol

uh oh...spelt correct incorrectly...I hope I got it before anyone saw...

Umm...have I had too much wine ( is there any such thing?)
Would you be so kind as to how you nailed me?
I may be slow, but what I do know I know little about
:joker:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
ResidentAlien said:
Umm...have I had too much wine ( is there any such thing?)
Would you be so kind as to how you nailed me?
I may be slow, but what I do know I know little about
:joker:

lol, nailing is a bad word...maybe catch people with mistakes is better? I havn't had enough beer, that's why it didn't make sense.

tradetalker24

Sep 21, 2004
Is the funeral really tuesday

if it is that is obviuosly the reason they moved it back to wednesday. My only question is didnt they knowon about this funeral when they made the day the tuesday? If they didnt then i think its over but i hope i am wrong. I am a big optimist

ResidentAlien*

Nope it's a plot by the Sutter family to throw you off the trail.
RIP MR Sutter your contributions to the hockey world are immeasurable

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Balej20 said:
The reason, or atleast one reason, why the press conference was pushed back from Tuesday to Wed. was because of the funeral of Louis Sutter, which is on Tuesday. (I believe)
what he said.

Can't have two funerals in one day now can we?

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Nobody involved in this mess wants to be part of a legacy of a cancelled season. Nobody!

They are now close to a deal, and at this point, I can't see either side risking being part of an infamous sports legacy over numbers. JMO :shakehead

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
jratelle19 said:
Nobody involved in this mess wants to be part of a legacy of a cancelled season. Nobody!

They are now close to a deal, and at this point, I can't see either side risking being part of an infamous sports legacy over numbers. JMO :shakehead
That's definitely the blood that nobody wants on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad