Bettman on CBC near start of 2013-14 NHL season

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If there's one thing I really want to come back it's Bettman's All-Star Game intermission interview with CBC's Ron MacLean. Some great moments over the years.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Gary Bettman is a very well-spoken man and it is very easy to see why the owners like having him as the commissioner.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think Bettman is the best commissioner of the four major sports. If you add in MLS, Garber sucks too.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Gary Bettman is a very well-spoken man and it is very easy to see why the owners like having him as the commissioner.

Q: How can you tell when Gary Bettman is lying?
A: His lips are moving.

Bettman accomplishes a lot of things. First off, he's made the owners millions upon millions of dollars. Both in year to year profits and franchise values. Secondly he's the face/name to hate. Fans are not taking their frustration out on the individual owners... they're taking it out on Bettman. He's fine with that... and prefers fans blame him, then the individual owners.

But if you look at what he's done for the game (forget games lost for a min). A, it was needed. The league needed to change from how it was in 04. B, if the players hadn't felt so entitled changes would have happened sooner, and potentially without lost games. But the cap, and the parity that comes with it (intentional or not) has made the game a better game to watch. Thus, it was good for the game from an entertainment standpoint.

So hate on him all you want... but he's making the owners millions, and thus in their mind, doing a great job. Now if he'd just hurry up with expansion.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Bettman accomplishes a lot of things. First off, he's made the owners millions upon millions of dollars. Both in year to year profits and franchise values. Secondly he's the face/name to hate. Fans are not taking their frustration out on the individual owners... they're taking it out on Bettman. He's fine with that... and prefers fans blame him, then the individual owners.

But if you look at what he's done for the game (forget games lost for a min). A, it was needed. The league needed to change from how it was in 04. B, if the players hadn't felt so entitled changes would have happened sooner, and potentially without lost games. But the cap, and the parity that comes with it (intentional or not) has made the game a better game to watch. Thus, it was good for the game from an entertainment standpoint.

So hate on him all you want... but he's making the owners millions, and thus in their mind, doing a great job. Now if he'd just hurry up with expansion.

:shakehead

Yep, defending your contractual rights is now an entitlement.

And when they are locked out in 8 years time, the greedy players will surely still feel entitled to the contracts they signed. The spoiled brats!

Honestly, i dont know how some of you people are still watching considering how deeply you resent the players.

Jacob8hockey*

And when they are locked out in 8 years time, the greedy players will surely still feel entitled to the contracts they signed. The spoiled brats!

Honestly, i dont know how some of you people are still watching considering how deeply you resent the players.

You can still love someone even if they are doing something wrong.

In this case, 'we' (the group of us who were against the players) hold nothing personal against them and will still cheer and support them even if we truly believed they were in the 'wrong' in the negotiations.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

Those contracts all relied on the CBA contract. It was in their contractual rights to take a paycut.

They agreed to sign those contracts knowing that they will fall under the umbrella of the CBA. They were well within their rights not to sign the NHL contract. Go play in KHL, Sweden, AHL, ECHL, some other pro league if they didn't want their contracts privy to any CBA changes.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
". When your competition is Selig and Stern, it's not a hard race to win. That being said, Mark Cohon IMO is the best commish of the NA based sports, but I'm probably the only one here that gives a damn about the CFL.

Minor leagues don't count.

I still don't understand the hate on Bettman. He's a smart guy, runs the league well, fights for small markets and tries to keep teams from relocation, saved a bunch of Canadian teams, got the NHL the biggest TV contract they've ever known, has expanded the reach, fanbase, and revenues of the league...

I do think it's telling that those who hate him usually have to lie or dramatically distort the truth in order to find a reason to justify their hate.

Anyway, decent interview. Though with that little bit at the end, it's probably easy to not be concerned about material possessions when you make something $7 million a year, and absent a major event, your career ends when you decide it does.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Bettman hate is irrational

Almost anyone who likes to openly complain about him is going to bring up stuff like "he just cares about the US; he doesn't want Canadian teams to win etc..."

Of course most of the time people who ascribe to this simplistic view (and there are plenty of valid reasons as to why one might dislike Bettman, I'm sure Fugu isn't a huge fan of his!) are Canadians who know nothing about hockey other than the fact that it's the cool thing in Canada

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ While I dislike much about him & whats transpired, taken place during his watch, that he's managed to masterfully centralize power to his offices, overseen massive leaps in revenue, managed to bring in cost certainty & parity to some extent with the cap; secured finally a national broadcasting contract in the States then yes, agree, best Commissioner of the Big4 IMO. Absolutely.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I would argue that a different commisioner could have made the NHL more $ than Bettman did since Bettman doesn't know how to market the sport, how to improve the product, or how to play to the game's strengths.

The problem is more about the position of commisioner being flawed. Bettman as a businessman or lawyer is fine but to have him in charge of the game as a whole is a problem, there should be another commisioner to deal with improving the actual game and one for finances.

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
I would argue that a different commisioner could have made the NHL more $ than Bettman did since Bettman doesn't know how to market the sport, how to improve the product, or how to play to the game's strengths.

The problem is more about the position of commisioner being flawed. Bettman as a businessman or lawyer is fine but to have him in charge of the game as a whole is a problem, there should be another commisioner to deal with improving the actual game and one for finances.

Isn't that pretty much what Bill Daly does?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Bettman deserves a lot of credit for how the game has grown over the past 20 yrs. That said those 3 lockouts and his involvement in the Phoenix issue are huge turn-offs for me as it relates to him.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Bettman deserves a lot of credit for how the game has grown over the past 20 yrs. That said those 3 lockouts and his involvement in the Phoenix issue are huge turn-offs for me as it relates to him.

Agreed. Bettman certainly deserves some hate, but not nearly to the amount he gets from a lot of fans who treat him as a sort of boogeyman for all their team's woes.

Le Oranje

Sep 20, 2010
1. Garber

2. Selig

3. Bettman

4. Goodell

5. Stern

Don't understand the hate for Garber, as MLS becomes increasingly popular every year. Selig hasn't done anything THAT stupid recently other than allow Jeff Loria to destroy the Expos/continue to own a team. Bettman seems determined to keep a team away from QC, which is a strike on him. Goodell has successfully ********* the NFL and has made it a shell of its former self, and Stern has turned the NBA into a corrupt mafia/gambling operation. Not to mention stealing the Sonics and refusing to let a team go back there.

mitolo8

Oct 9, 2013
This is interesting, Bettman has done some great things for the game like the massive nation wide tv deals and generating a good deal of money for the owners. However, his flaws are big ones though namely the three lockouts and the uber aggressive cba discussions seriously screwed the fans over! Bettman needs to have greater concern for the loyal fans who keep coming back to easily the best major NA sport. Lastly being involved in with francises that moves is painful for the fans who have their team moved, like a certain team for Hartford for instance.

eliostar

May 28, 2008
Toronto

Bettman has little to do with the game on the ice, there are several groups involved in that process, you should learn about it.

BayStreetBullies*

Not to mention he made it a priority to expand into the Southern US markets before expanding into more viable Canadian markets.

Gretzky has done just as much for the game as Bettman has. All arguments in favour of the latter has to do with either the owners or TV contracts. Well if that's all a commissioner's merit is based on, no wonder we've had 3 lockouts since Bettman took over.

BayStreetBullies*

Bettman has little to do with the game on the ice, there are several groups involved in that process, you should learn about it.

I suggest you take a look at the NHL Constitution Article VI, sections 6.1 and 6.3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad