Bettman meeting with Ryan Smith, owner of Utah Jazz and Real Salt Lake (upd: Smith asks NHL to open expansion process)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think NCAA Division I should have that rule. Each school needs a unique nickname so we don't have four teams named "Tigers" in the same conference.

I'd say "oldest gets it" except in one case: Trojans. Troy gets to be the Trojans and USC has to pick a new one. Because Trojans means "people of Troy" which Troy is, and USC is not.

See, I miss when the CFL had one team called the Roughriders, and another team called the Rough Riders - all in a 9 team league.

There are apparently 363 Division 1 schools. I think it understandable there might be some duplicate names, like Tigers. And while I do appreciate schools that go with more unusual names, like the Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens, or the Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin Cajuns, I can accept many of these schools might have been called the "Lions" or whatever for generations.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Team names should be unique. Kraken works nicely.

NHL teams names that should be jettisoned would include:
Panthers
Jets
Rangers
Senators
Well, both the Florida Panthers and the New York Rangers had their names before the Carolina Panthers and Texas Rangers came along. But the NFL Jets and MLB Senators did beat their NHL counterparts to these names.

The other name overlap is the Los Angeles Kings and Sacramento Kings. Again, the NHL kings had the name first when the LA Kings debuted in 1967. It didn't become attached to an NBA team until the Cincinnati (formerly Rochester) Royals moved to Kansas City in 1972 and adopted the kings name because there was already a Kansas City Royals. They kept the Kings name when they later moved to Sacramento.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, both the Florida Panthers and the New York Rangers had their names before the Carolina Panthers and Texas Rangers came along. But the NFL Jets and MLB Senators did beat their NHL counterparts to these names.

The other name overlap is the Los Angeles Kings and Sacramento Kings. Again, the NHL kings had the name first when the LA Kings debuted in 1967. It didn't become attached to an NBA team until the Cincinnati (formerly Rochester) Royals moved to Kansas City in 1972 and adopted the kings name because there was already a Kansas City Royals. They kept the Kings name when they later moved to Sacramento.

To be fair to the Texas Rangers, the New York Rangers are named after the actual Texas Ranger Division, which was a law enforcement organization established in the 1830s.

So yes, the New York Rangers as a sports team predates the Texas Rangers. But the term Texas Rangers predates the New York Rangers.

Reactions: JKG33

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Over the past few days of seeing it suggested in news articles, I’ve really come around on Utah Black Diamonds. Obligatory AI jersey renders
IMG_6565.jpeg
IMG_6569.jpeg
IMG_6567.jpeg
IMG_6568.jpeg
IMG_6566.jpeg

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Over the past few days of seeing it suggested in news articles, I’ve really come around on Utah Black Diamonds. Obligatory AI jersey renders
Probably need variation to the diamond. You can’t give personification to a diamond.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
So, how many possible names could the Coyotes have ended up having, based on how many times they got close to relocating?

-Back to Winnipeg (would have been nice in terms of continuity of franchise records)
-Hamilton (Tigers)
-I'm sure Quebec would have kicked the tires at some point (The Quebec Jet-Coyotes-Nordiques and the Winnipeg Thrasher-Jets)
-Wasn't Portland rumored at one point? Rosebuds? Cougars? Might have been nice to bring back an old PCHA name seeing as they didn't do it for the Kraken.

Anywhere else?

Last edited:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Hey fellas, a couple months back before this story gained this much steam I started a project on nhl 24 for a 40 team league with Utah being one of the expansion teams. Basically promoted the Utah grizzlies name and iconography to the nhl with an Utah jazz color scheme. Thought ya’ll might like to see it while brands are being brainstormed. The color scheme in particular just screams Utah.
a06d0131-6de6-44b3-a3fc-a91c8d7b80af.png
97856dc7-c1b5-48e3-bea2-dd6798ff95a1.png

hammer42

Feb 5, 2023
Out of all the names , logos & jersey concepts I have seen Raptors with the black , gold & purple colour scheme seems to to be the best option in my opinion & I would buy that jersey to add to my vast jersey collection which sits at 163 jerseys of all different sports I have been collecting over the past 20 years .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad