News Article: Bettman has changed his tune on NHL expansion

Captain Mittens*

I'm hoping they follow MvW's suggestion: Seattle Easter Eggs.

No way man.

Either the Seattle Kraken
4-22.jpg

krakenbucket.jpg

or The Seattle Battle Cattle

16611.jpg

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
@helenenothelen: NHL denies expansion reports http://t.co/PYHGq6zNKe

OF coures Bettman denied it, he doesn't lke to be upstaged. But him saying they don't have plans to expand 'at this time' just means Aug , doesn't mean it won't be announced in the near future or by the next Gov's meeting
Apparaently Dan Patrick (via SI article today) said on his show yesterday, from his source, a financial person involved in the deal, the paperwork is done and Vegas will have a team in 2016, but he didn't say it would necesarily be an expansion team, it might be a relocated team.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Every time we starting winning, it spawns another team in the area! :laugh:

The implication is that the LA Kings are now expected to carry the Pacific Division, especially when it is indeed the single-largest market in the division, let alone the West Coast, West of the Missouri River, West of the Rockies, and West of Appalachia.

Even the Original Six are expected to carry their locales/territories.

Montreal Canadiens: the entire Province of Quebec
Toronto Maple Leafs: the entire Province of Ontario
Detroit Red Wings: EST American Midwest
Chicago Blackhawks: CST American Midwest
Boston Bruins: all of New England
New York Rangers: at least the Borough of Manhattan

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The implication is that the LA Kings are now expected to carry the Pacific Division, especially when it is indeed the single-largest market in the division, let alone the West Coast, West of the Missouri River, West of the Rockies, and West of Appalachia.

Even the Original Six are expected to carry their locales/territories.

Montreal Canadiens: the entire Province of Quebec
Toronto Maple Leafs: the entire Province of Ontario
Detroit Red Wings: EST American Midwest
Chicago Blackhawks: CST American Midwest
Boston Bruins: all of New England
New York Rangers: at least the Borough of Manhattan

Expansion now in California and the West Coast makes sense simply because of the success of the teams in Cali. Between San Jose, Anaheim and LA a California team has made it at least as far as the Western Conference finals in nine of the last 12 years, with 2005, 2008 and 2009 the lone exceptions. Four times a California team has made the cup finals in that time, winning three cups. That undoubtedly had led to more exposure and more interest in hockey in the region, and given how good all three teams are (and young in terms of LA and Anaheim) that trend shouldn't change any time soon.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
What would be a good name for a Las Vegas based team? I'd love it to be based around nuclear testing, but that would rustle some jimmies.

Captain Mittens*

What would be a good name for a Las Vegas based team? I'd love it to be based around nuclear testing, but that would rustle some jimmies.

The Las Vegas Involuntary organ donation black market.

I like the way it rolls off the tongue.

Ron*

OF coures Bettman denied it, he doesn't lke to be upstaged. But him saying they don't have plans to expand 'at this time' just means Aug , doesn't mean it won't be announced in the near future or by the next Gov's meeting
Apparaently Dan Patrick (via SI article today) said on his show yesterday, from his source, a financial person involved in the deal, the paperwork is done and Vegas will have a team in 2016, but he didn't say it would necesarily be an expansion team, it might be a relocated team.

To be technically correct it was Daly that denied the reports, but Bettman also said in June there were no plans to expand at the time.

In addition, it doesn't matter if he likes it or not, he has already been "upstaged" if it was true.

I rather take the word of a couple of named sources (Daly and Bettman) over un-named sources. I have yet to hear a name attached to these "done deals."

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

I'd assume someone will toss out Las Vegas Gamblers, I prefer Las Vegas Slot Jockies.

Every time they score a goal and the red light goes on, someone's seat should open up and spill slot tokens. To many obvious puns with that team.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'd assume someone will toss out Las Vegas Gamblers, I prefer Las Vegas Slot Jockies.

Every time they score a goal and the red light goes on, someone's seat should open up and spill slot tokens. To many obvious puns with that team.

Yeah, I thought that too, but maybe the league wouldn't let it?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Las Vegas "NHL writers are bored in the summer, so let's throw whatever theories out we can without identifying them as theories" Lazy Writers.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Las Vegas Bandits (two armed not one)
Las Vegas Gamblers
Las Vegas Sinners (sin city)
las Vegas Scorpions
Las Vegas Aces
Las Vegas Blackjacks
Heat
Nighhawks
Rattlers
Bobcats
Cobras
Outlaws

Ron*

In the spirit of "The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" I give you...

The Ruined Lives of Lost Wages

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Las Vegas Bandits (two armed not one)
Las Vegas Gamblers
Las Vegas Sinners (sin city)
las Vegas Scorpions
Las Vegas Aces
Las Vegas Blackjacks
Heat
Nighhawks
Rattlers
Bobcats
Cobras
Outlaws

I like these. I also thought Vultures (because I love vultures and they're awesome), but then it would be construed as copying the Condors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad