News Article: Bettman has changed his tune on NHL expansion

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
There were several articles about the NHL expansion coming, that 2 teams will join the NHL.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Gallagher+Bettman+changed+tune+expansion/10150984/story.html

Sources close to the situation have indicated Las Vegas is a done deal, the only thing to be determined being which owner will be entitled to proclaim that he brought the first major league sports franchise to Sin City.

The other team that is the favorite is Seattle with some of the other articles suggesting that Quebec will get a 'relocated' team.
The 2 new teams will join the Western Conf. and as soon as 2016/17 possibly.

SO that means a double expansion draft...interesting.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Hmmm. I wonder which player(s) we lose in an expansion draft.

Not saying this is going to happen, but if MR ends up in vegas, oh boy. Epic parties!!

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Vegas? Hmm. Seems like a recipe for disaster and a disaster just waiting to happen. Oh, but can you just imagine the scandals?

Janet Gretzky as GM and Rick Tocchet for coach! Woot!

Last edited:

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
Nothing about a team coming to Atlanta? Damn...

no offense, but Atlanta has had 2 bites at the apple and failed both times, I highly doubt the NHL goes back to Atlanta, the market has shown it won't support a NHL team, despite I'm sure having rabid hockey fans.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
It doesn't seem to make much sense to me to put a brand new franchise in a city where there has never been a professional sports teams.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Yeah? Well your face is.. unfamiliar too! Take that!

350.jpg

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I like how everybody on the mainboard is suddenly an expert on all things Vegas, probably based on that one trip they had 10 years ago. I live here, have for almost 5 years, and don't claim any significant level of knowledge of the economics or demographics of the city. That said, I have to believe that people will make a weekend out of it to come see their teams play, much in the same way they go to LA and/or Anaheim, along with something resembling a fan base that would develop in this melting pot of a city.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I like how everybody on the mainboard is suddenly an expert on all things Vegas, probably based on that one trip they had 10 years ago. I live here, have for almost 5 years, and don't claim any significant level of knowledge of the economics or demographics of the city. That said, I have to believe that people will make a weekend out of it to come see their teams play, much in the same way they go to LA and/or Anaheim, along with something resembling a fan base that would develop in this melting pot of a city.

Reading the main board? You're better than that. Ignore the salty Canadians.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
no offense, but Atlanta has had 2 bites at the apple and failed both times, I highly doubt the NHL goes back to Atlanta, the market has shown it won't support a NHL team, despite I'm sure having rabid hockey fans.

Yup; even then, both the Hurricanes and the Predators are courting the ATL market, the deepest of the Deep South.

Hmmm. I wonder which player(s) we lose in an expansion draft.

Not saying this is going to happen, but if MR ends up in vegas, oh boy. Epic parties!!

...only if they include Jeff Carter in the mix. I just hope Tyler and Tanner are left alone in LA.

As for the topic itself...

1. I hope the Panthers get relocated to Quebec, especially when South Beach has both Dolphins and Heat as their Top 2 teams in that media market, with the Marlins rounding up the Top 3.

2. This means that the Coyotes get transferred to the Central Division, especially when Seattle and Las Vegas are in the Pacific Time Zone and their teams get confirmed.

Pacific: LA, ANA, SJ, VAN, EDM, CGY, SEA, LV
Central: AZ, CO, WPG, MN, DAL, NSH, STL, CHI

3. Under the presumption the Panthers shall be the relocated team, the ECF is now projected to be rearranged into:

Atlantic: NYR, NYI, NJ, PIT, PHI, DC, CAR, TB
Northeast: DET, CBJ, BUF, TOR, OTT, MTL, QC, BOS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad