Bettman comming back with a hard cap offer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It shouldn´t come as a suprise to anyone when Bettman comes back to the table with a hardcap offer. Bettman is selling the idea to the owners that he will be able to break the union and save everyone a load of money. To the fans and media he is selling the idea that he will create a even balanced competetive market and give teams like Edmonton and Ottawa a chance to compete.

I don´t for a second belive that Bettman will be able to pull this of. Its gooing to take atleast 12 month before a replacement league is up and running. If its even possible to start one ´cause it will take atleast 600 players to get gooing.

I am telling you that a replacement league in the USA is gooing to have a helluva lot harder to survive then the NHL would have with the NHLPA´s offer. Bettmans proposal isn´t about surviving and grow, its about making money.

Hockey is the most entertaining sport in the world when you see it live, in a full arena and the best players in the world on the ice. However if you watch a team made out of 50% ECHLers with 1500 people in the stands, in a arena that takes 20.000 you are never gooing to come back, and I doubt you would be willing to spend even 10$ on it in the first place.

What I can´t understand is how little the media in Canada is discussing how this will affect the game of hockey. I haven´t seen one article on TSN or Canoe on this subject. Its very possible that the market in the USA won´t be able to take a 24 month without hockey hit. The only reason I can come up with is that the teams in Canada always will have it fans, so they don´t care about the game of hockey.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Ola said:
It shouldn´t come as a suprise to anyone when Bettman comes back to the table with a hardcap offer. Bettman is selling the idea to the owners that he will be able to break the union and save everyone a load of money. To the fans and media he is selling the idea that he will create a even balanced competetive market and give teams like Edmonton and Ottawa a chance to compete.

I don´t for a second belive that Bettman will be able to pull this of. Its gooing to take atleast 12 month before a replacement league is up and running. If its even possible to start one ´cause it will take atleast 600 players to get gooing.

I am telling you that a replacement league in the USA is gooing to have a helluva lot harder to survive then the NHL would have with the NHLPA´s offer. Bettmans proposal isn´t about surviving and grow, its about making money.

Hockey is the most entertaining sport in the world when you see it live, in a full arena and the best players in the world on the ice. However if you watch a team made out of 50% ECHLers with 1500 people in the stands, in a arena that takes 20.000 you are never gooing to come back, and I doubt you would be willing to spend even 10$ on it in the first place.

What I can´t understand is how little the media in Canada is discussing how this will affect the game of hockey. I haven´t seen one article on TSN or Canoe on this subject. Its very possible that the market in the USA won´t be able to take a 24 month without hockey hit. The only reason I can come up with is that the teams in Canada always will have it fans, so they don´t care about the game of hockey.

The NHL is prepared to wait out the players. There will be no replacement players as the owners realize the arenas will be empty. They are prepared to lock out the players for at least 2 seasons.

A lot will hinge on how the NBA talks procede next year. If the NBAPA cave to a stricter cap than what they have now, look for the NHLPA to accept a similar fate.

The NHLPA cannot 'win' this one. Bettman and Co. will have their cost certainity. If they're smart, they'll give in now and at least win concessions in other areas. They longer this thing is, the less they will get.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bettman would rather go with no hockey than replacement players, in fact, the replacement player option is remote at best. He would rather not give the players an option in this.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
go kim johnsson said:
Bettman would rather go with no hockey than replacement players, in fact, the replacement player option is remote at best. He would rather not give the players an option in this.

Bettman is playing with really high stakes with no counter part. There is no media coverge out there who looks at this from both sides. If you look at Bettmans history in the league the game of hockey is in trouble.

When I here guys like Lowe and Brian Burke rant on how terrible the NHLPA is and unfair all this is against the Canadian teams it makes me sick. Thoose two(Burke and Lowe) are two very rich people. They have made their money of a very strong american market. It wouldn´t have been possible without it. A market that is beeing ***** by the NHL and small market teams right now.

If hockey is hurt severly by Bettmans actions it will have affects on the game all over the globe. Its strange how this is only covered by Brooks in NY and a few reporters in Sweden who are afraid that the NHL won´t survive and how it will hurt hockey. Not one word is mentioned in the canadian media.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Ola said:
Bettman is playing with really high stakes with no counter part. There is no media coverge out there who looks at this from both sides. If you look at Bettmans history in the league the game of hockey is in trouble.

When I here guys like Lowe and Brian Burke rant on how terrible the NHLPA is and unfair all this is against the Canadian teams it makes me sick. Thoose two(Burke and Lowe) are two very rich people. They have made their money of a very strong american market. It wouldn´t have been possible without it. A market that is beeing ***** by the NHL and small market teams right now.

If hockey is hurt severly by Bettmans actions it will have affects on the game all over the globe. Its strange how this is only covered by Brooks in NY and a few reporters in Sweden who are afraid that the NHL won´t survive and how it will hurt hockey. Not one word is mentioned in the canadian media.

Look at it this way.....how many Canadian teams are there in the league? How many US teams? I'm pretty sure the Canada will always support some level of hockey regardless of whether the NHL exists in a year or two. That's why you aren't hearing much about the impact of the demise of pro-hockey in Canada.

Just a guess though.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Ola said:
When I here guys like Lowe and Brian Burke rant on how terrible the NHLPA is and unfair all this is against the Canadian teams it makes me sick.

Neither one of Lowe or Burke has said "how terrible the NHLPA is."

VinnyVinnyVici

Mar 16, 2004
Dade City, FL
Ola said:
If hockey is hurt severly by Bettmans actions it will have affects on the game all over the globe. Its strange how this is only covered by Brooks in NY and a few reporters in Sweden....

You mean NHLPA slobbering lap-dog Larry Brooks? Yeah, an "objective" reporter he is... especially in NY, the epicenter of NHL overspending and home to Jagr, Yashin and Holik. :shakehead

Yes, I do tend to want to trust the Canadian-based TSN and Hockey News people over that clown.

-----
Bulin Wall

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Bulin Wall said:
You mean NHLPA slobbering lap-dog Larry Brooks? Yeah, an "objective" reporter he is... especially in NY, the epicenter of NHL overspending and home to Jagr, Yashin and Holik. :shakehead

Yes, I do tend to want to trust the Canadian-based TSN and Hockey News people over that clown.

-----
Bulin Wall

Trust??? TSN gives you a complete PRO-OWNER side. Brooks gives a complete PRO-PLAYER side...instead of just trusting one..you should read both and come up with your own decidsion.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Trust??? TSN gives you a complete PRO-OWNER side. Brooks gives a complete PRO-PLAYER side...instead of just trusting one..you should read both and come up with your own decidsion.

Complete pro-owner? I don't think so.

At least TSN has guys like Healy and Davidson on to provide some balance.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Digger12 said:

Exactly. TSN doesn't really seem to be on either side.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Im talking there site...I dont get TSN here.
Could you show me which articles you're talking about when you say they're "completely pro-owner"?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Im talking there site...I dont get TSN here.

Which articles? TSN's site basically regurgitates the stuff that comes off the wire from CP and AP, the only columnist talking hockey there is McKenzie and all he does is straddle the fence. He's made a career out of it.

Am I missing something here?

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
Ola said:

You know... I'm getting serious deja vu reading this post...

Dave in LA

Chick Magnet
Jul 16, 2002
Visit site
I think the objective Bettman has is to break the Union. The only way to do that is to declare an impasse and go with replacement players.

I think we will have a season next year with replacement players.

Dave in LA

YellHockey*

Digger12 said:

Since when has Davidson been employed by TSN.

And could TSN find a less respected or intelligent guy to provide balance then Healy?

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Healy is nothing but another NHLPA shill. Healy is living in the dream world where the NHL continues to pay out higher salaries than the NFL without even having a US TV contract.

Brian Burke tells it like it is. It's time for the players to wake and smell the coffee.
A 24% reduction was fine but it only affects the players under contract(which is only around half of the NHL players at present) and 20% over 45 million is a joke.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
BlackRedGold said:
Since when has Davidson been employed by TSN.

And could TSN find a less respected or intelligent guy to provide balance then Healy?

Never said he was employed by TSN...

The point was made that TSN provides viewpoints that are 100% pro-owner...I was merely illustrating that Davidson is at least one case where a viewpoint was brought in that wasn't 100% that way. It doesn't matter who employs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad