Bettman announces 2022 entry draft to Montreal

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm surprised Toronto hasnt hosted it recently. Montreal just had it in 2009, and Vancouver has hosted twice since the Leafs last did.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Team official announcement, now with date.

So, QOs due 7/10? Are contracts pushed out a couple of weeks from nominal 6/30 expiration? When does fre agency start?

Reactions: Flukeshot

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
with how long round 2-7 takes not sure if its a good idea to have that on a friday.
I assume that Day 2 will be during the day as usual. I’m not sure that the Day 2 viewing numbers are large enough to worry about.

There’s probably some influence from ESPN who is broadcasting the draft. Both the NBA and NFL do their first rounds on Thursday night.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I assume that Day 2 will be during the day as usual. I’m not sure that the Day 2 viewing numbers are large enough to worry about.

There’s probably some influence from ESPN who is broadcasting the draft. Both the NBA and NFL do their first rounds on Thursday night.

NFL does round 1 thursday round 2-3 friday 4-7 on saturday.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Any chance that Winnipeg will ever host the draft?

They were supposed to host the draft in '95 or '96, but it was moved because of the turmoil / uncertainty the team was going through.

I 100% understand that Winnipeg will never get an event like the All-Star game due to weather, but Winnipeg in summer is a really pleasant place to be and it would be nice for the city to get some attention when it's actually warm.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I 100% understand that Winnipeg will never get an event like the All-Star game due to weather, but Winnipeg in summer is a really pleasant place to be and it would be nice for the city to get some attention when it's actually warm.
If WInnipeg doesn't get any All Star games, I don't believe that is why.

Cold weather does not stop NHL from having one in Toronto or Montreal.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Any chance that Winnipeg will ever host the draft?

They were supposed to host the draft in '95 or '96, but it was moved because of the turmoil / uncertainty the team was going through.

The truth is that Winnipeg, as an NHL market, is struggling right now. The honeymoon period is officially over. Local ratings have plummeted from their previous highs in their inaugural season and tickets are not selling like they once were (they've failed to sell-out playoff games). Until Winnipeg gets its act together, the NHL will not reward them with special events.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The truth is that Winnipeg, as an NHL market, is struggling right now. The honeymoon period is officially over. Local ratings have plummeted from their previous highs in their inaugural season and tickets are not selling like they once were (they've failed to sell-out playoff games). Until Winnipeg gets its act together, the NHL will not reward them with special events.

Where on earth do you get your statistics from? While yes the honeymoon is over from the inaugural season, they've still never had trouble selling out every game. Average attendant of 15,794 in 2019-2020 was the highest it's ever been (total attendance was down somewhat because of the Covid shutdown).

Winnipeg Jets home attendance 2005-2020 | Statista

But in any event the opposite reasoning is more likely true - that the league will give an event like the Draft to a team that is struggling in order to try and boost the franchise, rather as a reward to a team already doing well financially.

And anyways, the league has rewarded Winnipeg with special events a few times - participated in two Heritage Classics and went to Finland one year to play games.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Where on earth do you get your statistics from? While yes the honeymoon is over from the inaugural season, they've still never had trouble selling out every game. Average attendant of 15,794 in 2019-2020 was the highest it's ever been (total attendance was down somewhat because of the Covid shutdown).

Winnipeg Jets home attendance 2005-2020 | Statista

But in any event the opposite reasoning is more likely true - that the league will give an event like the Draft to a team that is struggling in order to try and boost the franchise, rather as a reward to a team already doing well financially.

And anyways, the league has rewarded Winnipeg with special events a few times - participated in two Heritage Classics and went to Finland one year to play games.
Didn't sellout Western Conference Final game a few years back
SOURCE: Winnipeg WCF games aren't selling out

The Jets are in the red
SOURCE: It Looks Like The Winnipeg Jets Have Lost Money

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The Sharks aren't interested in hosting the draft, based on published reports years ago. (IMHO, they don't want to spend the $$ to host with little income from ticket sales from fans/families to offset the costs of putting it on.) It's a "prestige" event more than a money making one.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->