Music: Better Solo Artist: Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by MrFunnyWobbl, Jan 8, 2019.

?

Better Solo Artist?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2019.
  1. Peter Gabriel

59.5%
  2. Phil Collins

40.5%
  1. Fantomas

Fantomas Registered User

I have some respect for Gabriel I guess, but his music just isn't my thing. Some of it is interesting though, like Moribund the Burgermeister. As for Collins, I'd rather kill myself than listen again to that horrible greatest hits CD of his I've been subjected to.

2. Fripp

Fripp Registered User

I was whistling 'Firth of Fifth' at work all day today thanks to this thread.

Mescaleroman likes this.
  3. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

Phil Collins AINEC. So many hit songs compared to Gabriel.

And why do people always post the ****tiest videos they can find instead of the official music videos on the artists own channels?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  4. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

At least he did something in the 90's that people remember him from.... Not that Collins did anything memorable after Tarzan though, so I agree with that one. Not a "huge" fan of Phil Collins but his songs/videos were hard to escape in the 80's. Gabriel had "Sledgehammer" (which was revolutionary at the time and won many awards) and that's about it.

First Collins song/video I was exposed to was this on Finnish tv back in the day:

I think the next time I saw/heard anything of him was on Miami Vice. :laugh:

5. GarbageGoal

GarbageGoal Becky Two Belts

“In Your Eyes” is a pretty iconic song because of “Say Anything”.

6. Xelebes

Xelebes Registered User

accounting technician
    Determining with whom the music is resonating is. . . kind of the way how we determine the greatness of music. The Great American Songbook is determined by being positively received in clubs, dancefloors and theatres and that an expectation that a musician should learn these tunes for steady work. . .

You like what you like. Performing the act to suggest that your opinion or taste is useful in determining for others what is tasteful isn't helpful.

NyQuil likes this.
  7. Shareefruck

Shareefruck Registered User

Software Developer
    Sure, popularity has had an inescapable influence on the world-- one that has created certain expectations that we all go along with and couldn't overcome even if we wanted to. But for the reasons I've given, I don't agree with its actual correlation to greatness, effectiveness, potential, and possible satisfaction. This connection people draw between the two doesn't make any sense to me when I go through the logic of it.

Your current knowledgeable impression of what you think is good does not have exactly the same validity as your past clueless impression of what the eight year old version of you thought was good. It has more validity because your preferences have become more developed since then. If that's obvious and agreeable, then I don't see why this wouldn't be.
    I didn't suggest that my taste is useful in determining what other people's tastes are. I just think that how much interest and initiative you show in exploring music correlates with how meaningful your current impressions can actually be (whatever they may be). It's illogical to think that the average person that represents the masses shows enough interest/initiative for their opinion to have much merit at all. You can't just barely pay attention and still have your opinions weighted equally, and that's basically what an appeal to popularity implies.

I disagree. You don't just like what you like, because tastes are malleable and positively develops with exposure. The Everyday People band are wrong, dammit! :rant:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Amerika likes this.
  8. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

The what? I remember it more from Deadpool 2. I can't remember seeing the video on MTV Europe much in the 90's.

9. GarbageGoal

GarbageGoal Becky Two Belts

Say Anything is a teen movie from the late 80s starring John Cusack. It’s famous for this scene and gets parodied a lot to this day and the song playing is In Your Eyes.

[​IMG]

SniperHF likes this.
  10. Jussi

Jussi Registered User

I've seen a lot of the 80's teen movies but I don't remember seeing that one. Probably wasn't as big over here as some of the other ones.

11. KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe Hey! We won!

Read a good article this summer, which makes a compelling analysis/defense of Phil Collins while also tackling the him vs. Gabriel question. It's a little long, but I hope you enjoy.

Should Phil Collins Be Celebrated or Vilified?

As for myself, I think Gabriel is better ... but I'm much more likely to be listening to my 4-5 favorite Phil Collins songs at any given time than my favorite Gabriel songs. For what that's worth.

12. zombie kopitar

zombie kopitar custom title

The Tarzan soundtrack is dope AF real talk
    But got to give it Gabriel because he just got too many bangers and has done some absolutely exceptional covers in his later years (Book of Love & My Body is a Cage)

13. Blackhawkswincup

Blackhawkswincup RIP Fugu

Some more classics as well

Gabriel had some good stuff but Collins solo stuff is not only better but more memorable

Also Genesis was better with Collins on lead then with Gabriel

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Jussi likes this.
  14. peate

peate Good grief!

Collin's stuff is more commercial which makes it more memorable maybe, but Gabriel is more advanced musical wise. I saw Genesis at their first ever North-American show and Peter Gabriel was Genesis, when he left, the band changed direction completely, became a pop band.

15. LeafSadist

LeafSadist Registered User

Do you like Phil Collins?

Going with Peter here.

16. belair

belair Registered User

Peter Gabriel wrote the better music by far. But without question Phil Collins is the better technical musician. He is an absolutely stellar drummer.

Jussi and Supermassive like this.
  17. Terry Yake

Terry Yake Registered User

two very different solo artists

gabriel's stuff was more "out there" and unique while collins's leaned more towards pop rock and fit in with what was popular in the 80s. although gabriel was nowhere near collins when it came to fame. phil collins was an absolute megastar throughout the 80s

personally, i give gabriel the slight edge just because of how his stuff was different but don't get me wrong, phil collins was one hell of a musician too and i still find myself enjoying his solo stuff.

Voight likes this.
  18. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

As a kid of the '80's I can't say I remember being much of a Genesis fan outside of them having one of the greatest videos on MTV back when they actually played videos (haven't seen MTV in over 10 years, maybe 15 though so if that's changed) Land of Confusion was one of the best videos until Gabriel's Sledgehammer.

Not a big fan of either, Book of Love is a great song for Gabriel but Collins has more songs I like so I went with him.

19. Voight

Voight #winning

this is a tough one