Better skating: Pernell Karl Subban or Nathan Beaulieu

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Surprised the poll didn't have subject line "who's the more horrible skater".

beaverBFP

Dec 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Wen't with PK because his lateral movement is unreal but I would give a slight edge to brolieu when it comes to skating north-south.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Beaulieu has a very smooth stride. Pk is impossible to move off the puck. But beaulieu is a better skater I'd say

TofoEmptyNt

Nov 10, 2013
Ontario
Beaulieu's the smoother more technically sound skater.
PK's skating style is...unique. It gets the job done better than most, but it looks wild and out of control at times. Like drunk kung fu. I guess that could be seen as an advantage because it makes him unpredictable.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Nathan Beaulieu is a better skater. But Subban is better at protecting the puck. Subban is in the league top 20 easily in puck protection when skating.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Beaulieu if we go by the classical definition of "skating". His stride is effortless and he's deceptively quick as well. He has the Karlsson/Keith/Campbell type of skating.

Subban is more unique, though. Beaulieu is probably faster, but Subban has a more powerful stride. Once he gets going, he's an unstoppable bull on skates. We saw him overpower Lucic, of all people, quite a few times this series. Add to that he's a very agile guy despite his bulky 220 pounds 6 feet frame and the fact he's an ace at puck possession and I think overall, Subban takes it. He isn't nearly as pretty of a skater, but he's more effective, in my opinion. And Subban, while perhaps not as strong, was a lot more speedy early in his career when he was closer to 200 pounds

In fact, I'd like PK to shed some weight next off-season. As strong as he has become, I feel like 220 pounds is overkill for a guy of his frame, and it has affected his speed and endurance a bunch from my viewings. He'd be better off at 205 - 210, but heh, he's pretty good at 220 as well...

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I think in the long run, Beaulieu will be the better skater. His technique is much better, so he has to spend less effort to go fast, probably. Once he builds more muscle this should become more evident.

However, I do not know if he will ever be as shifty as Subban is while skating, so if you include skating agility Subban wins in that.

TL;DR
Straight skating = Beaulieu
Non-straight skating = Subban

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Beaulieu looks better, Subban has proven that he can skate through a team when he has to though. I don't think we'll see Beaulieu dangle through a whole team, circling around their zone, like Subban does.

He did it a couple of times this season already. His skating is impressive while not being flashy. I think he'll end up a better skater than PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad