Better season: Jeff Petry vs. Darnell Nurse

Which defenceman is having the better season so far?

• Total voters

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I voted Nurse, not as a homer vote because to be honest I dislike him because he is (was? hopefully) one of the dumbest low hockey IQ players I've ever seen, taking idiotic penalties and just doing generally stupid shit that costs the team. However, this season he has been a completely different person, hardly ever taking penalty "bait" and making much smarter decisions with and without the puck. He's surprised me a lot this season. I just hope he keeps it up.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Petry is playing good. Nurse is cashing out on mcdavid and Drai. He wouldn’t be a top pairing dman on the Canucks or post this numbers if nurse was a Canuck. That’s how I’m measuring it. Petry is having a time of his life though. Surprised oilers got rid of him for nothing.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nurse is having a great season but Petry is having a potential norris season but alas he will lose to Hedman because well Hedman and the voters like their stars.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
It's the type of model that had guys like Radek Faksa as the best players in the leagye a few years ago.
Before spewing stuff, you might want to fact check yourself. Faksa has never finished top 100 in WAR on a given season with Evolving-Hockey's model, which is different but not that much from the one Corsica used, IIRC.

His best season in total WAR (17-18), he finished 112th; in WAR/60 he was 81st amongst players with >1000 minutes played.

WAR has issues with d-men for sure, but for forward it does a pretty decent job even when there are some results sometimes that go against the general public's preconceived notions. This might be an invitation to investigate more and maybe reconsider how we evaluate players.

Also, taking where/how a player ranks at face value on different metrics, without considering that, like all statistics, there are confidence interval, is dumb.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Before spewing stuff, you might want to fact check yourself. Faksa has never finished top 100 in WAR on a given season with Evolving-Hockey's model, which is different but not that much from the one Corsica used, IIRC.

His best season in total WAR (17-18), he finished 112th; in WAR/60 he was 81st amongst players with >1000 minutes played.

WAR has issues with d-men for sure, but for forward it does a pretty decent job even when there are some results sometimes that go against the general public's preconceived notions. This might be an invitation to investigate more and maybe reconsider how we evaluate players.

Also, taking where/how a player ranks at face value on different metrics, without considering that, like all statistics, there are confidence interval, is dumb.

The use the words "the type of model" and "guys like" I thought suggested that it wasn't to be taken literally.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Makes no sense to compare them by points when one is leading his team in that regard while the other isn’t even the top scoring D on his.

I don’t really see an argument for Nurse at this point, but good for the Oilers if he’s starting to turn a corner, should be a big piece for them moving forward.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I went with even.

Petry is having a really good year on both sides of the puck, I think Nurse is being given the harder task as he doesn't really get power play time and he plays some of the hardest minutes in the entire NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad