Better season: Jeff Petry vs. Darnell Nurse

Which defenceman is having the better season so far?

• Total voters

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm guessing Petry will win this because of his 12 PP points and the earlier hype he's got.

Nurse is quietly putting together arguably the best even strength numbers in the league.

While also being dominant defensively.

I bet Petry wins this poll because, just like Draisaitl, Nurse will never get the respect he deserves because he plays on a team with McDavid.
The reality is that this is a guy playing over 25 minutes a night (with minimal PP time), driving play, shutting down opponents and scoring at a ridiculous rate. I don't think I'm a homer when I say that Nurse is a top 5 Dman in the league this season, or at least top 10 and I'd like to see somebody prove otherwise. Petry is up there too so I don't know, tough poll.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm guessing Petry will win this because of his 12 PP points and the earlier hype he's got.

Nurse is quietly putting together arguably the best even strength numbers in the league.

I bet Petry wins this poll because, just like Draisaitl, Nurse will never get the respect he deserves because he plays on a team with McDavid.
The reality is that this is a guy playing over 25 minutes a night (with minimal PP time), driving play, shutting down opponents and scoring at a ridiculous rate. I don't think I'm a homer when I say that Nurse is a top 5 Dman in the league this season, or at least top 10 and I'd like to see somebody prove otherwise. Petry is up there too so I don't know, tough poll.

???

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005

i mean, Petry is tied for the team lead in pts. Nurse is having a really good season, but Petry is much more important to his team

Reactions: dukeofjive

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Among the 159 defensemen who have played at least 300 5v5 minutes this season, Nurse has given up the 26th most GA/60 and has the 7th worst SA/60, and 16th worst xGA/60. The Oilers give up nearly 8 more shots per 60 when he's on the ice and 0.74 more goals. His RAPM also looks like this:

download (33).png

These stats aren't always perfect, and I'm assuming part of the reason for it is systemic based on how the team plays when either of the big two are on the ice compared to when they're off, but it's pretty hard to say he's been good defensively when the underlying numbers are so poor.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Among the 159 defensemen who have played at least 300 5v5 minutes this season, Nurse has given up the 26th most GA/60 and has the 7th worst SA/60, and 16th worst xGA/60. The Oilers give up nearly 8 more shots per 60 when he's on the ice and 0.74 more goals. His RAPM also looks like this:

View attachment 410788

These stats aren't always perfect, and I'm assuming part of the reason for it is systemic based on how the team plays when either of the big two are on the ice compared to when they're off, but it's pretty hard to say he's been good defensively when the underlying numbers are so poor.

Anytime you're on the ice with McDavid or Draisaitl's line, it's going to be a high event game so there will be scoring chances against but the scoring chances he produces when he's on the ice far FAR outweigh the scoring chances against. He's also paired with Barrie btw and with Barrie, there's a lot of covering up he has to do. Trust me, he's been really good defensively all season and, as usual, the underlying numbers only tell a small part of the story. He's taken a big step forward in own zone play.

Reactions: Zamknij kurwa ryj

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
i mean, Petry is tied for the team lead in pts. Nurse is having a really good season, but Petry is much more important to his team

How so?

Everybody said the Oilers defense would crumble with Klefbom out and not only have they not crumbled, they are better than last season mainly because Nurse does so much to make it better.
Everybody said Barrie sucks and is no more than a bottom pairing Dman. Well, he's playing top pairing minutes against the toughest competition and is scoring at a PPG rate, paired with Nurse. Is Barrie the one driving that pairing? Of course not.

Petry has been really good of course but how can you possibly say he's much more important to his team? I thought the Habs had the best, most balanced defense in the division. Does that not apply now?

This just seems like another case of no other Oiler but McDavid getting much respect because they play on McDavid's team.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
How so?

Everybody said the Oilers defense would crumble with Klefbom out and not only have they not crumbled, they are better than last season mainly because Nurse does so much to make it better.
Everybody said Barrie sucks and is no more than a bottom pairing Dman. Well, he's playing top pairing minutes against the toughest competition and is scoring at a PPG rate, paired with Nurse. Is Barrie the one driving that pairing? Of course not.

Petry has been really good of course but how can you possibly say he's much more important to his team? I thought the Habs had the best, most balanced defense in the division. Does that not apply now?

This just seems like another case of no other Oiler but McDavid getting much respect because they play on McDavid's team.

who is everybody and why do they matter in a discussion of Nurse v Petry

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
who is everybody and why do they matter in a discussion of Nurse v Petry

you’re the one that brought up “more important to his team”, and you were told why Nurse was so important to Edmonton.

Why is Petry “much more important” to Montreal? Everyone and their donkey thought we’d collapse icing a LD of Nurse, sophomores, rookies, and the shotblockin’ cowboy, but we’re doing better than alright and Nurse is a big part of that.

Reactions: McAsuno

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nurse by a hair. But a lot has to do with his PDO bender to start the season. Hes had a good year this year but probably not as dominant as his point totals make it out to be

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
you’re the one that brought up “more important to his team”, and you were told why Nurse was so important to Edmonton.

Why is Petry “much more important” to Montreal? Everyone and their donkey thought we’d collapse icing a LD of Nurse, sophomores, rookies, and the shotblockin’ cowboy, but we’re doing better than alright and Nurse is a big part of that.

because he's been our best player

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Petry has been an absolute stud for the Habs this year. I’m taking him.

Nurse has been great for the Oilers too. 55 points combined from him and Barrie. That’s pretty crazy.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Voting Nurse BUT Oilers play Habs 3 times this week. I will be watching the 2 of them closely and I will change my vote if this week proves me wrong.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Two players Im always suprised get hyped so much as when i see them they always fail the eye test. But i think Petry has a good point shot esp on the pp, well Nurse a lil more balanced overall so i voted him

Reactions: Voight

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Loved Jeff Petry when he was on the Oil, and always root for him.
...but if he was on the Oilers now, he would be behind Nurse on the pecking order.
Darnell Nurse is just better.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
They are both having really good seasons, ill resist my urge to homer vote and just not vote. There should be an even option.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Loved Jeff Petry when he was on the Oil, and always root for him.
...but if he was on the Oilers now, he would be behind Nurse on the pecking order.
Darnell Nurse is just better.
If Edmonton Petry was on the Oilers now then it wouldn’t be a conversation. Fortunately for Montreal, Petry’s game has taken a giant step since then.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Playing the toughest competition in the league, leading the league in even strength points by defensemen and outscoring opponents by a huge margin.

WAR models are so bad for defensemen that they border on useless.
Are WAR models good for anyone?

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005

View attachment 410788

Where do you get these charts from?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad