Etobicoke
Mentioned this in the CJ shootout thread... but here is what I propose:

WIN IN REGULATION - GET 3 POINTS

WIN IN OT - GET 2 POINTS

WIN IN SHOOTOUT - GET 1 POINT

LOSE - 0 POINTS NO MATTER HOW YOU LOSE

Discuss.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

WIN IN OT - GET 2 POINTS

Discuss.

You have my vote of approval.

I've never liked the loser point. If they wanted a way to settle games and not have them end in ties why are they still handing out consolation prizes?

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
I thought the whole point (according to the NHL) was that they wanted teams to "go for it" but that isn't happening, more often than not they skate through OT to get their goalie to win it for them in the shootout which I don't think is fair and why I don't like the shootout. I would say get rid of the shootout. Doesn't matter to me whether you do 5 or 10 minute OT, 4 on 4, 3 on 3 whatever but it should be:

Reg W - 2 points
OT W - 1 point
Tie - Both teams -1 point
No loser points of any kind

That will make them go for it.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
In the shootout era I prefer 1 point for winning,no matter if it's regulation,OT or shootout and 0 points for losing. Once they realize what a farce the SO is go back to 2 points for winning and 1 point for a tie. I never watch the shootout.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Has the AHL been trying out the XXX many minutes of 4 on 4 OT and then 3 on 3 OT?

If so how do people feel about that? I haven't been to any AHL games this year to have any input. :(

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I'd tweak it a bit
3 points for regulation win
3 points for overtime win
2 points for shootout win
1 point for shootout loss
0 points for overtime loss
0 points for regulation loss.

There'd be 3 points awarded for every game in every scenario. You get a point for making it through regulation and overtime without losing, and then the shootout get's you an extra point. No bonus for making it to overtime, and a shootout win is worth less than a hockey win.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Real simple and fair solution in my book is 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie. 10-minute overtime, 5 on 5. No shootout, no complex point schemes. That system is equitable and does not rely on a stupid gimmick. 10-minute overtime with no commercial breaks goes by about as fast if not faster than a 5-min OT with a shootout. There is nothing at all wrong with a game ending in a tie. I watch Bs shootouts because it's the Bs, but when watching non-Bs games I turn the game off if it goes to a shootout because I am watching to see hockey. A shootout is not hockey. I've felt this way from the very beginning. As a hockey fan for over four decades it pisses me off that the NHL went to such a dumbass gimmick to settle a game that has nothing to do with the game that was just played.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
No shootout - bring back the tie!

Tie - 1 point each.

Regulation win - 2 points.

Overtime win - 3 points.

Then you'd really see teams going for the win in overtime, and not playing it safe. (in most cases).

Bsmart

Jul 10, 2007
You want teams to go for it??? Then get a real mans format:

Win=2pts
Loss=0pts

OT is 10 Minutes 4 on 4

OT win ONE point.
No winner? NO POINTS.

DONE.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
4-on-4 OT and more importantly the shootout are gimmicks. You need a loser point in there IMO.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
All I know is that I'm 100% against a SO win being worth the same as a ROW. I'm fine with ties. I'd like to see the SO die. I hate the idea of 3-on-3 that they're floating around. OT should be 10 min, not 5 (½ period). And if they want to keep the SO then a ROW should be 3 points. Furthermore, pepperoni should always be ON TOP of the cheese, not beneath.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Keep it as it is, but ditch shootouts. If it's still tied at the end of OT then it's just a point each.

I like that OT gives a team the chance to get an extra point, but actually forcing that point via a shootout? It makes no sense.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

WIN IN OT - GET 2 POINTS

Discuss.

Anybody want to compile standings using this format to see if there were any drastic changes?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
i am not a fan of the shootout, at all, but i doubt the NHL will scrap it any time soon. What bothers me most about the current format is that 2 games can have a different amount of points awarded, that is just stupid.
I'd much prefer:
W - 2
T - 1
L -0
no shootout. but in a pinch:
RW - 3
OT/SOW - 2
OT/SOL - 1
RL - 0
makes so much more sense than the current system

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I agree OT should be 10 minutes but I also want the shootout gone. I hate it.

one of the best and most exciting games I ever went to was a zero zero tie against the Sens.

there is nothing wrong with ending in a tie.

Agreed.

I think scoring should be 2 points for a regulation/OT win.
1 point for each team for a tie after 10 minutes and no shootout.

I don't think the shootout should collect points-the shootout isn't hockey it's whichever team has the collection of best shooters in a one on one situation.

It really is okay IMO for games to end in a tie.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I really don't get what was wrong with the original system. Why can't a game end in a tie the way it used to?

2 points for the win
1 for the tie
0 for the loss

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'd tweak it a bit
3 points for regulation win
3 points for overtime win
2 points for shootout win
1 point for shootout loss
0 points for overtime loss
0 points for regulation loss.

There'd be 3 points awarded for every game in every scenario. You get a point for making it through regulation and overtime without losing, and then the shootout get's you an extra point. No bonus for making it to overtime, and a shootout win is worth less than a hockey win.

I don't want teams playing for the shoot out to get one point.

3 points regulation win.
2/1 for OT/Shootout
4 on 4 then 3 on 3 then shootout

It just doesn't make sense that OT games have more points available. The 3 point regulation win is the big no brainer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad