Better playoffs, Crosby 2009 or Kuznetsov 2018?

Who was better?

• Crosby

• Kuznetsov

Results are only viewable after voting.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I voted Crosby too but...

Kunitz was already a 60 point player prior to being a Penguin. He's obviously not Ovechkin but he wasn't some scrub either.

Crosby also had Malkin assisting or scoring the goal on 39% of his points.

This narrative that Crosby was carrying people is exaggerated.
Kunitz was in the middle of a 1 goal in 40 game streak during that playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
i agree with your argument, however if we look specifically at his GOAT goalscorer linemate in the finals, out of the 3 goals OV scored, Kuz only assisted on 1 of them. so it kinda debunks your GOAT goalscorer linemate argument just for the finals

overall for the entire playoffs it is no question, that there was a huge discrepancy in line mates. OV and Kuz prior to the finals (also in the finals), were CRUSHING teams in goals for/goals against. it was something along the lines of

In the 388 minutes these 2 have played together, the Caps have outscored teams 36-13 (including PPs)

they were too much for other teams

But it's not just direct impact on goals/assists, but indirect by virtue of teams having a more difficult time defending a line when there are more than one threat on it.

If Kuznetsov and Ovechkin are on the ice together, the opposition can't just double team one or the other, because that means the other one will be wide open to feast. Crosby never had that benefit versus Detroit because Zetterberg/Lidstrom didn't give a damn about Kunitz or Guerin. They weren't going to do anything, so they'd just both concentrate on Crosby and let Kunitz/Guerin try to burn them (which they obviously didn't).

You have to factor the impact of that into it. Teams simply could not swarm or double team Kuznetsov, because that would mean leaving Ovechkin too much time and space. Detroit could do that versus Crosby because old man Guerin and 1-goal Kunitz weren't going to make them pay.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
But it's not just direct impact on goals/assists, but indirect by virtue of teams having a more difficult time defending a line when there are more than one threat on it.

If Kuznetsov and Ovechkin are on the ice together, the opposition can't just double team one or the other, because that means the other one will be wide open to feast. Crosby never had that benefit versus Detroit because Zetterberg/Lidstrom didn't give a damn about Kunitz or Guerin. They weren't going to do anything, so they'd just both concentrate on Crosby and let Kunitz/Guerin try to burn them (which they obviously didn't).

You have to factor the impact of that into it. Teams simply could not swarm or double team Kuznetsov, because that would mean leaving Ovechkin too much time and space. Detroit could do that versus Crosby because old man Guerin and 1-goal Kunitz weren't going to make them pay.
you have a point

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Kunitz was already a 60 point player prior to being a Penguin. He's obviously not Ovechkin but he wasn't some scrub either.

Kuntiz was a 60 point player on a line with Getzlaf and Perry. He was basically Alex Burrows, a good player that looks great playing with superstars. In Sid's case, he would carry two second-rate players on his line. I don't think Kuznetsov touches this last post-season's totals with Kunitz and Dupuis on his line.

As revenge for all the Pens fans saying Kuzy deserved the Smythe and Ovi was a passenger
No need to "revenge vote" because of a few stubborn Pens fans. OV deserved his Smythe, without any question.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Sid had a bad final. That said, the 2009 Penguins are probably the lone exception, at least since the lockout, to the rule that you need depth scoring throughout the postseason to win the Cup (yeah I know, Talbot two goals in game 7), because Crosby and Malkin carried that team.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
I'd go with Crosby but did a poster in here actually say Kuznetsov was a passenger too often during this playoff run?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Kunitz' 60 point season which came in 06/07 was good for T72 in scoring and T85 in PPG.

Next year he scored 50 points, good for T102 in scoring and T117 in PPG. There were 90 forwards who were more productive than him before he came to the Pens. In 2013, he was 7th in scoring.

What is being exaggerated here?

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
As much as McDavid could make his team's PP better?
IMG_1362-1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad