EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
trojan4 said:
Alexander Semin of the Washington Capitals

or

Alexander Frolov of the Los Angeles Kings

Who and why.

I'd be interested in Russian fans input.

I haven't followed Frolov, but Semin had a huge year w/19 goals in the RSL and 3 at the World Cup. (tied for 2nd).

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
frolov had 22 goals and 18 assists in the RSL this year. Its hard to compare the two with them being 2 different types of players. Frolov is a more all around player where semin is more offensive minded

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Frolov has proven himself NHL level while Semin hasn't - Here are the rating they were given on www.russianprospects.com with a few others so you can compare
Evgeni Malkin 95 2004/2
Alexander Ovechkin 98 2004/1
Alexander Frolov 93 2000/20
Alexander Semin 89 2002/13
Nikolai Zherdev 93 2003/4

This indicates Frolov clearly better and i think most people will tell you that. Person who wrote above saying Semin did good in the RSL just to let him know Frolov had i believe the second highest PPG and the highest GPG out of anyone including Kovy, Jagr, etc....

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
AnThGrt said:
Frolov has proven himself NHL level while Semin hasn't - Here are the rating they were given on www.russianprospects.com with a few others so you can compare
Evgeni Malkin 95 2004/2

This indicates Frolov clearly better and i think most people will tell you that. Person who wrote above saying Semin did good in the RSL just to let him know Frolov had i believe the second highest PPG and the highest GPG out of anyone including Kovy, Jagr, etc....

Okay. Frolov has proven himself. He's older. IMO it's a reach to say he's *clearly better*. Semin hasn't had the benefit of a full NHL season.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I like Semin, He's quick and I actually think that the fact the he is not as good right now shows he can more easily improve. Hes not good defensively, but he has the time to learn. I also think he will be more effective in the new NHL, because he is definitely a better skater than Frolov.

Plus Semin lights the crap out of me in NHL 2005

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
AnThGrt said:
Evgeni Malkin 95 2004/2

wow im glad that that rating clearly tells that frolov is better, by their ratings Anton Babchuk, Alexei Mikhnov, and Konstantin Koltsov are all better than Semin. Wow says so much and the fact that semin has only had one season in the nhl where he didnt get much playing time until the end compared to frolovs 2 with lots of playing time, great

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
bryan579 said:
wow im glad that that rating clearly tells that frolov is better, by their ratings Anton Babchuk, Alexei Mikhnov, and Konstantin Koltsov are all better than Semin. Wow says so much and the fact that semin has only had one season in the nhl where he didnt get much playing time until the end compared to frolovs 2 with lots of playing time, great
Umm frolov spent all rookie season on 4th line lucky if on 3rd barelly got any playign time and last year his playing time increased but not a lot all fans complained that he was being under played but its Andy Murrasy its how he deals with this stuff

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
AnThGrt said:
Umm frolov spent all rookie season on 4th line lucky if on 3rd barelly got any playign time and last year his playing time increased but not a lot all fans complained that he was being under played but its Andy Murrasy its how he deals with this stuff

I thank Mike Smith (former GM) for picking Yakubov and Vorobiev above Frolov. But I guess hindsight is always ...

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Frolov is hardly a prospect, same almost goes for Semin. Either way, I think it's Frolov by a fair margin. He is better (atleast right now) at everything excluding skating speed, which isnt that big of a deal. He just brings alot more to the table and is a more exciting all around player. Id venture to say that throughout their careers Frolov scores on average 5-10 points more a year than Semin while also being more physical and defensivly responsible.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
For now and the future, I think Frolov will have the upper hand. Frolov has already seen 1st line icetime, and with Luc getting up there in age, he'll definitely see even more. On the other hand, Semin has someone by the name of Ovechkin fighting with him for icetime. That's gonna hinder his development and production quite a bit.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Right now I think Frolov is better than Semin (and this coming from a Caps fan). I also agree that he has a more rounded game atm. I do believe that Semin is more aggressive on the offense side right now. Were they drafted the same year? I'm too lazy to look it up, heh.

I think what gets Caps fans excited about Semin (man that sounded bad, rofl) is his crazy moves/deeks. I watched almost every game he played in last season and he would pull some things out of his hat that left my jaw wide open. He still has a lot of work on consistency (don't all young players?) and being defensively responsible.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
flambers said:
I would take Frolov as well. Not even close IMO.

Did Frolov opt out of the World Cup?

I don't pretend to be the expert, but Frolov does have a couple years on Semin and both had similar showings in the RSL last year. That makes it closer than some would think. Frolov hasn't scored 60 pts in the NHL yet. He does probably have a more rounded game, though Semin isn't lackluster on defense. I heard he picked his game up.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
EroCaps said:
Did Frolov opt out of the World Cup?

I don't pretend to be the expert, but Frolov does have a couple years on Semin and both had similar showings in the RSL last year. That makes it closer than some would think. Frolov hasn't scored 60 pts in the NHL yet. He does probably have a more rounded game, though Semin isn't lackluster on defense. I heard he picked his game up.
Look at what they've done in the NHL.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacobv2 said:
Look at what they've done in the NHL.

Semin played 8-10 min average 4th line minutes the first 20 games of his rookie season before the firesale. And he's a couple years younger. Hard to quantify.

Edit- Frolov is almost 23, Semin turned 21 a couple months ago.

Frolov broke into the league a year later than Semin, played 77 games and put up 31 pts (14+17). He had 48 last year. I'm assuming he had quality time. Those #s aren't *hugely* in his favor.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Everyone is picking Frolov, some even say by a fair margin. That is ridiculous. Semin is 2 years younger, and didn't play a full NHL season. I'm sure that if he comes next year and explodes offencively while Frolov posts his 50-60pts, people will change their tune. Maybe Frolov is better, but its impossible to tell until Semin plays a full NHL season. He had good numbers during his short stint as a 4th-3rd liner, and comparig them according to their RSL numbers isn't a true indication of anything, since Huselius dominated the SEL while outscoring some star NHL talent. Next season should be a good indication of what they can do. IMO Semin will give more offencively, while Frolov will be an awesome two way player. But in the end I'd bet on Semin. He is 2 years younger but not far off from Frolov right now.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I'd take Frolov in a heart beat. When he played against Canada in the WJHC he dominated he's just one of those guys that you don't want to play against. Seems to have a good heart and head on his shoulders. Semen to me is a fringe player who can put up BIG points eventually but may be eliminated from games when the going gets tough.

For now.. and probably always my pick is Frolov.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
This is an interesting question, and I definitely don't think it's as cut and dry as some would like it to be. That said, I'd take Frolov at this point, because he's got more experience, and he should add more in the 2 way game than Semin will anytime soon.

However, 2-3 years down the road I might change my tune. Frolov isn't better when it comes to offensive potential, if anything, Semin's shown to have ridiculous offensive output potential. The fact that Semin, at 21 was in the tops in scoring in the RSL (up until he tweaked an injury), dominated the AHL in his short stay, played well in the games he did see in the WC, and showed the potential on some nights to be a gamebreaker in the NHL, fairs pretty well for his future. That's not to say Frolov won't get his points, because I think he will. I'm just not sure I agree with him getting more points than Semin based on the opionions of people who've probably seen both once or twice tops.

Frolov was pretty awesome at the Championships, and had the NHL picked up from right there, I think he'd have easily topped his past numbers. Hopefully he continues to pick it up.

One other note, I disagree completely that Ovechkin will limit Semin's production. If anything, I think it'll be the opposite. They're going to play different locations on the same powerplay unit. They probably won't play the same line, and Ovechkin has already come out and said that he wants the spotlight (or will want it eventually) while Semin has proven to need a bit more maturing, and less spotlight. Which Ovechkin will afford him, sense the burdens will largely fall to him. Plus, if Ovechkin is what he 'could' be, Semin's going to face 2nd and 3rd pair defensemen on the #2 line. Which will be a benefit to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad